Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:37 AM
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendicks View Post
Thanks Mauro, It sure was and it will back in a few months and so will I. Want some snow vid of this area.

-Don
The only thing that I got was the brigde, so I realise that was the same spot. Here for sure and most like all around Brazil we don't get snow at all. I think the cooller that get here in Fortaleza is 15C the most cold ever happen. I alredy got some snow in USA and know how it is, but if you want to send some to here I don't think that it will survive... . Just a little joke to make things funny.

Mauro
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:16 AM
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,100 Posts
Just for the info, yestarday I took my quad to take some aereal photos, when I was done I hit failsafe to bring it back as it was far away, it did turn around and because of the strong wind it pass over the landing point so I wait for about 30sec and did not came back, so I took control and start to lower the throtle and trying to bring it back and it did not came. The only way to bring over me was to increase my rpm and then I was able to have control back.
So if you are in a strong wind condition, don't thrust too much autolanding because it will fail on you. Happy flying.

Mauro

P.S.: I think the wind at the altitude the I was it was over 40Km/h. BTW in GPS mode I was able to get some phothos, without it was very hard to have control of it and point to the target.
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari
Last edited by mauromassari; Aug 19, 2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:13 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Jan 2010
50 Posts
Still learning to flight a DJI NAza in florida.. Till now I am in love with DJI naza.. great controller.. the fail safe work for me ok.. I did not tested yet in strong winds..
Florida in footage August/18/2012 (11 min 2 sec)
luisgcu is offline Find More Posts by luisgcu
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:39 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,446 Posts
Reamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajonate View Post
I've seen those reamers, but the opening for the DJI is little awkward. Can you describe how do you achieve the reaming on opposite sides, and still keep it balanced?
Prop reamers are configured in steps.
The present bore of your prop will slide onto and be a good fit on one of the smaller steps.
This smaller bore acts as a pilot keeping things on center.
Being careful to keep things perpendicular and lined up, you start slowly opening the bore with the reamer blades of the next step on the reamer.
This is done until the prop slides onto the step you've been cutting with.
You do this repeatedly until the desired bore is reached.
There is a small amount of inaccuracy, but not what you'd get with a drill bit.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Faa
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:40 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Jan 2010
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
If you are getting a circular drift, it could be toilet bowl effect.
You say compass calibration "seems" okay.
You can't be sure of that unless you have actually performed a compass calibration.
If that's your video, you seem pretty knowledgeable about this stuff.
You're smart enough to read the material and figure out the circular drift you are getting.
Try it.
Read the Gouge.
I never did the compass calibration on mi Naza and its a rock solid keeping the position in any mode.. I never was able to get naza in Compass mode calibration.. the first time I tested with the gps naza start to dift a lot to the right.. but after more reading I realize the gps have an arrow that has to be pointing the the craft nose, when I put it in right position, really good.. love Naza.
luisgcu is offline Find More Posts by luisgcu
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:55 AM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,446 Posts
Calibrate Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisgcu View Post
I never did the compass calibration on mi Naza and its a rock solid keeping the position in any mode.. I never was able to get naza in Compass mode calibration.. the first time I tested with the gps naza start to dift a lot to the right.. but after more reading I realize the gps have an arrow that has to be pointing the the craft nose, when I put it in right position, really good.. love Naza.
Do that, and I'll bet you'll love it more...
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:31 AM
United States, OR, Oregon City
Joined Jul 2012
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan View Post
Hey crash,
there is one more thing you can try:

there is a video on youtube showing big magnetic interference from the battery and the cables coming from the battery.
Solution is to cover your battery with alu tape. I have done that to all my batteries.

Isnt your battey rather close to your GPS?
How far should the GPS be away from batt?
naturecannon is offline Find More Posts by naturecannon
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:33 AM
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
1600g = 3lb 8.44oz
My rig is stock DJI running 4S and 9x4.7 props., GoPro and gimbal =
3lb 4.3oz.
I'm actually hesitant to punch it hard for long or I'd lose sight of it.
This morning I flew the F450 with my Drift x170 POV cam slung underneath (the F450 has new leg extensions so it doesn't drag on the ground). All was going well & I took it up above the garden to get some shots (not video).

On the descent however, I must have descended slightly too fast & suddenly (not so far from the ground) the quad started to slowly accelerate downwards uncontrollably with that 'you are descending too fast!!' wobble. Increasing the throttle just made the wobble worse & didn't slow the descent until the inevitable happened.

It hit the wooden picnic table (right way up) & bounced into a flowerbed (wrong way up). No harm was done - after a quick check & scraping the soil off the prop's, I flew it almost immediately with no problems, just to check the battery state on the NAZA. The battery was fine (3200mAh 3s).

The all-up-weight was exactly 1.500Kg. The DJI site confirms the maximum take-off weight is 1.6Kg. I wonder if 1.5Kg is just getting too close to the limit?

Maybe I should strip the F450 & upgrade to an F550 ...

(Prop's are Graupner 10x5 by the way)
KevinBuckley70 is offline Find More Posts by KevinBuckley70
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:51 AM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,446 Posts
Near The Ground Behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBuckley70 View Post
This morning I flew the F450 with my Drift x170 POV cam slung underneath (the F450 has new leg extensions so it doesn't drag on the ground). All was going well & I took it up above the garden to get some shots (not video).

On the descent however, I must have descended slightly too fast & suddenly (not so far from the ground) the quad started to slowly accelerate downwards uncontrollably with that 'you are descending too fast!!' wobble. Increasing the throttle just made the wobble worse & didn't slow the descent until the inevitable happened.

It hit the wooden picnic table (right way up) & bounced into a flowerbed (wrong way up). No harm was done - after a quick check & scraping the soil off the prop's, I flew it almost immediately with no problems, just to check the battery state on the NAZA. The battery was fine (3200mAh 3s).

The all-up-weight was exactly 1.500Kg. The DJI site confirms the maximum take-off weight is 1.6Kg. I wonder if 1.5Kg is just getting too close to the limit?

Maybe I should strip the F450 & upgrade to an F550 ...

(Prop's are Graupner 10x5 by the way)
Some have experienced bouncing near the ground that has been attributed to a confused pressure sensor, ground effect, prop wash, etc.
Landing gear extensions have sometimes solved this.
We've heard of up/down surges when the max load capacity has been exceeded.
You could easily remove some gear, and see how the airframe performs to answer your question.

Something I've been waiting to hear about (Vantasstic was going to try it, I think) is:
Take off from a high place, and attempt to land on a low place.
Would this confuse the pressure sensors and cause Naza to think it's on the ground while still airborne?
This experiment could prove harmful to your airframe, so I'm not ready to try it yet myself.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:59 AM
United States, OK, Erick
Joined Aug 2011
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturecannon View Post
How far should the GPS be away from batt?
well on my tbs ship i have a lipo right in front and under the compas. instant sat lock and works great. i read in this thread awhile back that the battery will act as some kind of ground sheild or something. idk, its close to page 100 when i first got my naza and compas.

dont understand it all i know is it works and works great .................!!!
crash8384 is offline Find More Posts by crash8384
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined May 2008
657 Posts
Nobody has had this issue?

need some help
I have the naza with gps on a dji f550 hex all stock.
If I just want it to hover it stays in pretty much 1 place.
If I apply rudder (yaw) it moved around. rudder right it moves forward and to the right, rudder left it moves backwards and to the left. I have turned the GPS 10deg. to the right and than to the left, still get the same results. I adjusted the gains and cg same thing
any ideas???
Thanks for the help
markeydoo is offline Find More Posts by markeydoo
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:38 AM
United Kingdom, Norwich
Joined Jun 2004
449 Posts
If not Now...when?

my latest film with an overweight 450
If Not Now......When? (3 min 20 sec)
jetstuff is offline Find More Posts by jetstuff
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:12 PM
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Some have experienced bouncing near the ground that has been attributed to a confused pressure sensor, ground effect, prop wash, etc.
Landing gear extensions have sometimes solved this.
We've heard of up/down surges when the max load capacity has been exceeded.
You could easily remove some gear, and see how the airframe performs to answer your question.

Something I've been waiting to hear about (Vantasstic was going to try it, I think) is:
Take off from a high place, and attempt to land on a low place.
Would this confuse the pressure sensors and cause Naza to think it's on the ground while still airborne?
This experiment could prove harmful to your airframe, so I'm not ready to try it yet myself.
The F450 flies fine without the x170 camera. Never had any problems with bouncing or stable hover.

I just now spent 8 minutes going up & down with the x170 onboard. An immediate observation was that, as before (months ago, when for a couple of flights before I had a tiny FPV cam onboard), the GPS takes AN AGE to lock if I have the camera onboard. Without the camera, the GPS locks in about thirty seconds - & the same on my NAZA/GPS equipped Gaui 330xs.

At a weight of 1.5Kg, I repeatedly ascended to around 30' - 40' & tried a variety of descent speeds. At a very slow descent, it performs as normal. But if I descend faster, at a speed which without the cam onboard is totally fine (i.e. around 180g lighter), to stop the descent in a reasonable time requires full throttle.

With a very slightly faster descent, but still what I would previously have considered OK (& totally pedestrian compared with the speed I can bring the Gaui down!), I actually bounced off the ground - a quad 'touch & go'

So it seems that 1.5Kg is in the zone of 'be careful'; for me anyway.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:18 PM
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeydoo View Post

need some help
If I apply rudder (yaw) it moved around. rudder right it moves forward and to the right, rudder left it moves backwards and to the left. I have turned the GPS 10deg. to the right and than to the left, still get the same results. I adjusted the gains and cg same thing
any ideas???
Thanks for the help
Lateral movement in response to yaw (if that is what you are describing) is a well known issue - you can find references to it on many other forums apart from this one.

In my case, if you yaw when in Atti./GPS mode, the quad drifts off station for a few seconds & then, if you leave it alone, the GPS will pull it back. Many speculative reasons have been put forward to explain this but it has never been solved as far as I know (it seems to be a design attribute rather than a setup issue).

I did some tests with my F450 to explore this before finally giving up & living with it:

2012_7_11 More tests of the yaw/drift problem on the F450 (9 min 35 sec)
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:18 PM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeydoo View Post

need some help
any ideas???
Thanks for the help
Did you re-calibrate the compass each time you moved it?
mewert is online now Find More Posts by mewert