HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:31 PM
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
8,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Hey guys, just got back from the field. The wind finally died down so I could fly. Wow, all I can say is that this is a different GPS than I had before! I was 1 of 2 of the original 19 testers that had an issue. The software that I was running was pure beta, no IOC, no RTH, none of it. That may have been part of the problem, I don't know. What I do know is that the new GPS that I have now is really good. I am running the newest version of the software that you can all download now. I was by myself and was flying and shooting video with my iPhone, not well I might add, but I have some that I will edit and share. What I really found amazing was that while I have my GPS mounted on one of the F450 arms, I experienced no TBE. I actually was expecting some and the need to remount the GPS on a mast. Not going to happen now. The other thing which I think I got on camera was the ability of this controller to yaw in almost the same spot. I had the rudder at max and it just sat there and spun. I have never had a controller that would do that. The best I got was a piro around a point with a foot diameter circle. I hope it shows in the video. I also noticed that the altitude hold is better in FFF. The Naza would drop or rise depending on the direction you were traveling and the orientation. It is much better now. I know that there are much better pilots out there that will really be able to put the Naza to the test, but for me it is very good and my old man style of flying.

Thanks for the update Ed... Now I'm really excited to receive mine.
blade strike is offline Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Dji fpv hub
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:33 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys, just got back from the field. The wind finally died down so I could fly. Wow, all I can say is that this is a different GPS than I had before! I was 1 of 2 of the original 19 testers that had an issue. The software that I was running was pure beta, no IOC, no RTH, none of it. That may have been part of the problem, I don't know. What I do know is that the new GPS that I have now is really good. I am running the newest version of the software that you can all download now. I was by myself and was flying and shooting video with my iPhone, not well I might add, but I have some that I will edit and share. What I really found amazing was that while I have my GPS mounted on one of the F450 arms, I experienced no TBE. I actually was expecting some and the need to remount the GPS on a mast. Not going to happen now. The other thing which I think I got on camera was the ability of this controller to yaw in almost the same spot. I had the rudder at max and it just sat there and spun. I have never had a controller that would do that. The best I got was a piro around a point with a foot diameter circle. I hope it shows in the video. I also noticed that the altitude hold is better in FFF. The Naza would drop or rise depending on the direction you were traveling and the orientation. It is much better now. I know that there are much better pilots out there that will really be able to put the Naza to the test, but for me it is very good and my old man style of flying.
I was test flying the F330 earlier and it seems to me DJI has made some links bewteen the altitude hold and GPS in the new firmware. This particular Naza didn't want to hold altitude nearly as well as it did on a different frame with the older version of firmware. Now I'm curious if that will change once I get the GPS and install it. I know with MK you can have altitude hold use the GPS as a reference as well as data from the baro, I'm thinking DJI may have done something similar to make it hold altitude better while moving...
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:39 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Ed,

That's exciting news. Thanks for sharing...

BTW; can someone explain the intelligent orientation control.

*homelock

*course lock
IOC is DJI's version of MK carefree, when engaged the Naza always responds as though its orientation is tail-in regardless of what the real orientation is. Homelock allows you to reset the home point for RTH after takeoff, normally the home position is the GPS coordinates of where the motors start after locking on to at least 6 satellites.

There is an explanation in the manual but I haven't really looked at it as I don't use either feature with my WKMs, not enough ports available to have gimbal control, remote gain adjustments, and IOC all at the same time.
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:50 PM
Wish i was a flight pack
Australia, NSW, Bass Hill
Joined Jan 2012
332 Posts
I too was one of the testers perhaps 2/2 with first issue GPS probs, Nothing negative to say in fact excellent value for money, got another 2 coming !
TNTJET is offline Find More Posts by TNTJET
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Stuff
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:04 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
7,956 Posts
Ok I got a short video up on Vimeo.

Naza GPS III (2 min 3 sec)
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Photogrammetry Solution
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:13 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,195 Posts
Naza GPS III

Thanks for sharing, Ed.
The arm mounted GPS does great.
It gives me confidence that I can mount mine similarly, as planned.
I surely hope that Robert's shipment gets on through customs so that we all can play.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:17 PM
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post
IOC is DJI's version of MK carefree, when engaged the Naza always responds as though its orientation is tail-in regardless of what the real orientation is. Homelock allows you to reset the home point for RTH after takeoff, normally the home position is the GPS coordinates of where the motors start after locking on to at least 6 satellites.

There is an explanation in the manual but I haven't really looked at it as I don't use either feature with my WKMs, not enough ports available to have gimbal control, remote gain adjustments, and IOC all at the same time.
Yes. I've used it on my Wookong-M but there is one caveat - you need to watch carefully as the unit will default to atti mode if the GPS signal is lost. That can result in the controls appearing to reverse so I think DJI's name "Intelligent Orientation Control" is better than "carefree" - carefree it aint!
RedSky is offline Find More Posts by RedSky
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:18 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
7,956 Posts
I had mine delayed a day in customs as well. It took a letter from DJI through FedEx China to move it along. I am sure that they will take care of it soon. Lots of fun!
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Photogrammetry Solution
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:40 PM
ShOP loCAL FaRMers
Caffe-nation
Joined Jan 2004
647 Posts
I got notice from Tom at HoverThings that mine is on its way. Ed your video has me super excited to get this installed!
Puget Sound Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Puget Sound Flyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:49 PM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puget Sound Flyer View Post
I got notice from Tom at HoverThings that mine is on its way. Ed your video has me super excited to get this installed!
I got an email too, but that may just mean he has printed the label. There is also this message on his website:

"We will be on vacation and unable to ship orders from June 8 - June 14. We hope to ship the first batch of GPS units if they arrive before we leave, and the rest when we return. Thanks for your understanding!"
oddcopter is offline Find More Posts by oddcopter
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined Jan 2012
404 Posts
Thanks for the time and clip Ed, it sure looks very nice and stable and a good altitude hold.
vewdew is offline Find More Posts by vewdew
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,128 Posts
ok.next week I buy.
FlyingMcCoy is online now Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:28 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Apr 2011
104 Posts
Naza GPS RTH onboard video

Onboard video of RTH and auto land....

DJI F450 ARF kit
GoPro 720 @ 60fps
3S 5800 LiPo

Naza GPS RTH.MP4 (2 min 14 sec)
Yammysho is online now Find More Posts by Yammysho
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:48 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Ok I got a short video up on Vimeo.

https://vimeo.com/43583155
Ed,

Are you using the stock DJI motors and 30A ESC?
Thanks.
FlyingMcCoy is online now Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:56 AM
United Kingdom, England, Derby
Joined Jun 2011
171 Posts
Quote:
. I actually was expecting some tbe and the need to remount the GPS on a mast. Not going to happen now..
Hi Tahoe Ed.Thanks for the review.This really gets the anticipation going.Nice to see something positive about DJI for a change.I personally have no issues with any of my DJI products(WKM,frames etc.) and expected nothing less for this GPS add on.Get in!.
Where did you mount the gps unit by the way please?Is it anywhere near the speed controller?
paulujvari is offline Find More Posts by paulujvari