SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:25 AM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Vtx 5.8 Ghz 500mw will be released in three weeks. Rx will be a few weeks later.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:12 AM
United Kingdom, Bures
Joined May 2012
203 Posts
Need some help on my y6 esc's......

I can calibrate the simonk esc's using wiring loom and all 6motors spin up at the same time however when I connect them back to the naza I have to throttle up pass half way to get motors to spool up and only the bottom 3 start up first and the the top 3 start one by one at about 3/4 throttle.......

Completely lost on this....

Any suggestions?

During calibration...

SimonK esc calibration (0 min 14 sec)

After calibration
SimonK esc connected to Naza gps (0 min 40 sec)
Mustflynow is offline Find More Posts by Mustflynow
Last edited by Mustflynow; Jul 07, 2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Oct 2011
27 Posts
using Aluminum foil tape?

Hi, can you show me how to use using Aluminum foil tape use Aluminum foil tape?
Instead of using a torroid, do you think wrapping aluminum foil tape around the GPS cable would act as shielding? The tape would be grounded of course at each end. This tape is commonly used for HVAC ducts. I use it to protect the bottom of my foamies at times. As an example, none of the wires used for my IMRC 5.8 ghz tx is sheilded! It looks like normal servo wire. I wonder if DJI has shielded cable coming out of the GPS unit? Come to think of it, I don't think any of the wires used on my Quad/Naza/GPS use shielded wires/cables.

Aluminum foil tape is much lighter than torroids, and can be neatly covered with an appropriate length of heat shrink tubing

Reference:
http://www.newark.com/pdfs/techartic...haWire/USC.pdf[/QUOTE]
Soldier53 is offline Find More Posts by Soldier53
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined Oct 2011
27 Posts
use Aluminum foil tape?

Soldier53 is offline Find More Posts by Soldier53
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:35 AM
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack2010 View Post
If they do decide to add OSD functionality, I hope they include the barometric pressure to give height above ground as GPS height doesn't work so well.

I added the telemetry module + altimeter function for my Spektrum DX8 yesterday & the result seems very reproducible. Hovering at fixed heights (between 0 & 35m agl) the numbers stayed within around +/- 0.1m unlike the GPS which is often tens of meters out & lagging. I mounted the sensor on the same mast as the OSD GPS module as I was worried about downwash affecting the pressure and that seems to have worked (see attached pic's). Hovering inches from the ground (or on the ground) & at various heights from zero upwards don't seem to be affected by what the rotors are doing.
KevinBuckley70 is offline Find More Posts by KevinBuckley70
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:41 AM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustflynow View Post
Need some help on my y6 esc's......

I can calibrate the simonk esc's using wiring loom and all 6motors spin up at the same time however when I connect them back to the naza I have to throttle up pass half way to get motors to spool up and only the bottom 3 start up first and the the top 3 start one by one at about 3/4 throttle.......

Completely lost on this....

Any suggestions?

During calibration...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Gp3...e_gdata_player

After calibration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imuPjR-svmU
OK, so u did the full throttle wait for Beep then down to min throttle and hear Beepps?? What do u have your motor speed set at??
G-unit is offline Find More Posts by G-unit
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:03 PM
AKA 3DJIM
Bournemouth Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2004
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack2010 View Post
Ok you have my full attention! when,where, and how much!? and do you need me to test one for you

Jim.
Tetley is offline Find More Posts by Tetley
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:07 PM
United Kingdom, Bures
Joined May 2012
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-unit View Post
OK, so u did the full throttle wait for Beep then down to min throttle and hear Beepps?? What do u have your motor speed set at??
Thanks ...all sorted now thanks the Adidas!

Had to increase my idol speed due to the Simon K esc!

Now need to work out vertical gain as it just doesn't want to hold .....it either goes up then goes down....all in one spot so I take its the V-gain that needs adjusting ....currently set at 125%
Mustflynow is offline Find More Posts by Mustflynow
Old Jul 07, 2012, 03:54 PM
Endangered User
United States, FL, Casselberry
Joined Jul 2002
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier53 View Post
Instead of using a torroid, do you think wrapping aluminum foil tape around the GPS cable would act as shielding? The tape would be grounded of course at each end. This tape is commonly used for HVAC ducts. I use it to protect the bottom of my foamies at times. As an example, none of the wires used for my IMRC 5.8 ghz tx is sheilded! It looks like normal servo wire. I wonder if DJI has shielded cable coming out of the GPS unit? Come to think of it, I don't think any of the wires used on my Quad/Naza/GPS use shielded wires/cables.

Aluminum foil tape is much lighter than torroids, and can be neatly covered with an appropriate length of heat shrink tubing

Reference:
http://www.newark.com/pdfs/techartic...haWire/USC.pdf
[/QUOTE]

Hi!

Aluminum foil tape will not work in place of a toroid for winding coils to inhibit common-mode interference. The specific physical properties of the toroid material are part of the reason they work. In fact, toroids are available in different materials depending on the desired inductance.
MattLarson29 is online now Find More Posts by MattLarson29
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:05 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
Vtx 5.8 Ghz 500mw will be released in three weeks. Rx will be a few weeks later.
Nice Sidney, what frequencies does it operate on? Is it Immersion compatible?
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:12 PM
United Kingdom, England, Derby
Joined Jun 2011
171 Posts
Hi all...Do you know that DJI have a Youtube account.
They are posting new features and help vids. for all us children mature grownups to get excited about.
New stuff about upcoming WKM firmware and Naza features etc.
Here is the LINK if you're interested.
Really pleased to see that DJI are trying to support its customers
paulujvari is offline Find More Posts by paulujvari
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:23 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulujvari View Post
Hi all...Do you know that DJI have a Youtube account.
They are posting new features and help vids. for all us children mature grownups to get excited about.
New stuff about upcoming WKM firmware and Naza features etc.
Here is the LINK if you're interested.
Really pleased to see that DJI are trying to support its customers
Great...something else to spend my whole day on vs cleaning house, trimming the shrubs, etc. Thanks for the link!!!

Sidney (or DJI if you're around). Any possibility on getting a Tricopter setup for the Naza. I wouldn't mink getting another unit IF I could install it on my FPV tricopter. No tricopter support no additional purchase...
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Gps related crash?

I had my first crash with my hexacopter Naza/GPS today. It almost acted like that hexacopter that had that back right drift and went into the water. Reminded me of it exactly. I have only powered up the FPV gear and Go Pro a few times with the GPS but never had issues. I always power up the Naza first to allow a good lock (blinking green), then I power up the VTX. I never get any red blinking lights.
This was my 25th flight with Naza GPS installed. I have a 1.3GHz 300 mW VTX and a Go Pro 2 in use on this flight. Good GPS before takeoff. 18 seconds into flight, centered sticks to hover so I could put on my goggles. The Hexacopter started a hard drift backwards at a good rate. Could not correct this by giving forward stick. Should have taken out of GPS and went to MANUAL.

I looked over everything pretty good. No props broken, no props loose. All transmitter switches set fine. GPS MODE, FAILSAFE-OFF, HOME LOCK-OFF.
I did break the nylon swivel bolt that holds my camera gimbal on. I threw a spot tie in place of that bolt. Set the hexacopter in the same spot. Duplicated everything as I did before and flew. No issues. I flew 3 more battery packs FPV without any issues.

Any ideas here?

Thanks,

Tony

Text on title screen didn't come out. The info is written on this page about what happened.
Naza GPS Related Crash (0 min 59 sec)
Tony97 is offline Find More Posts by Tony97
Last edited by Tony97; Jul 07, 2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:40 PM
United Kingdom, England, Derby
Joined Jun 2011
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Great...something else to spend my whole day on vs cleaning house, trimming the shrubs, etc. Thanks for the link!!!

You're welcome......Trying to add some positivity to the DJI threads is like arguing with a woman.You will never ever win,ever!...Never i tell you!.........

Never
paulujvari is offline Find More Posts by paulujvari
Last edited by paulujvari; Jul 07, 2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Trying to get the last word in.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Hmm, I don't think the issue is noise from the cable. More from other antennas and the GPS antenna. I would think DJI would have put shielding in their cable if it needed. I don't think I would try the aluminum tape. Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Hi Tony,

Reference:
http://www.newark.com/pdfs/techartic...haWire/USC.pdf
Tony97 is offline Find More Posts by Tony97