HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,755 Posts
can someone with a dji f550 hexa measure the frame and tell me how long is it from the frame top from the edge to the opposite boom? Basically looking for the diameter of the plates at the widest
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:31 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goebish View Post
No problem there, I use a gopro 2 on the front of my F450 and got rock solid GPS lock in a few seconds, camera being on or not.
I relaxed a little bit. I hope this issue is not a common one...
iskoos is offline Find More Posts by iskoos
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:33 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceflyer nz View Post
It's just on there for fun,
But if I hook it up I could increase my range for fpv hmm.....
I would like to know how the Naza would handle that extra thrust if you really serious about using it...
iskoos is offline Find More Posts by iskoos
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:48 PM
royal oak, michigan
Joined Sep 2004
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post
can someone with a dji f550 hexa measure the frame and tell me how long is it from the frame top from the edge to the opposite boom? Basically looking for the diameter of the plates at the widest
8.75 in. or 222.25 mm.
rjarois is offline Find More Posts by rjarois
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Jun 2012
27 Posts
Help with Gains Needed (I think)

I think I need a good “primer” on how to set gains. I'm flying a Next Level 650 with the Naza GPS. Prior to the upgrade, I didn't have this issues. Now however, I'm getting a lot of "twitching" (in GPS or Atti mode). I would expect some because of the wind, but didn't have this much prior to the upgrade and I have a friend with a similar setup (no GPS yet) and he flies in much more wind without this kind of twitching.

You can see it in this video:
First 1080p Clips for Brad (3 min 36 sec)

I figured I need to play with the gains, but have no clue where to start. Can you please offer suggestions based on what you see in the video AND point me to a “how to set gains” primer if you know of one?

Thanks all!
birdseyefilms is offline Find More Posts by birdseyefilms
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:56 PM
ShOP loCAL FaRMers
Caffe-nation
Joined Jan 2004
650 Posts
Home Lock not responding

When I hit about 30 feet out (maybe less than 30 feet up?) I flip the home lock switch (the mode is either GPS or ATTI). Pulling back on the stick does not bring me home rather it simply travels in reverse relative to the nose of the craft. So if I turn 90 degrees left then pull back on the stick, it travels left to right as it would normally.

-I've been able to get full GPS locks and set the home location consistently.
-The compass was calibrated recently.
-Hovering in GPS is rock solid.

I should have, but didn't try course lock...so I can't say for sure if that works or not. Also, in thinking I should have tried some further distances...

Well, I'll try those tomorrow. Other ideas? Has anyone else had the same experience?

PSF
Puget Sound Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Puget Sound Flyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:03 PM
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puget Sound Flyer View Post
When I hit about 30 feet out (maybe less than 30 feet up?) I flip the home lock switch (the mode is either GPS or ATTI). Pulling back on the stick does not bring me home rather it simply travels in reverse relative to the nose of the craft. So if I turn 90 degrees left then pull back on the stick, it travels left to right as it would normally.

I should have, but didn't try course lock...so I can't say for sure if that works or not. Also, in thinking I should have tried some further distances...

Well, I'll try those tomorrow. Other ideas? Has anyone else had the same experience?

PSF
The unit has to be at least 10 metres laterally from the home position before home lock will activate - were you that far away? (It doesn't matter how high it is, it's the lateral distance that matters).
RedSky is offline Find More Posts by RedSky
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:04 PM
ShOP loCAL FaRMers
Caffe-nation
Joined Jan 2004
650 Posts
I figured I need to play with the gains, but have no clue where to start. Can you please offer suggestions based on what you see in the video AND point me to a “how to set gains” primer if you know of one?

Thanks all![/QUOTE]

One place to start is your motor connections. I had some twitching coupled with occasional bad/non responsive motor starts. After twitching resulted in flipping I took apart the arm/motor mount to inspect and had the bullet connector come off in my hand. Upon checking all the wires on that motor I noticed the wires were all not secure (factory solder job). I checked all the other motors and did not see any problems.

Once re-soldered the motor and quad works great.
Puget Sound Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Puget Sound Flyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjarois View Post
8.75 in. or 222.25 mm.
Thanks!
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:07 PM
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Mar 2008
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Here is a video I shot with a customers Naza F550+GPS+AG550-NX I just built
Still fine tuning the gimbal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71k4DQw91Qw
What were the settings used?
h00t is offline Find More Posts by h00t
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:12 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Feb 2007
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollydas View Post
Are all the people that preordered the Naza-GPS upgrade got theirs?
I am still waiting for mine.

Cheers
Hi Billy, I'm still waiting for mine too. Have you received any tracking number?
davidevo50 is offline Find More Posts by davidevo50
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:16 PM
FL
Joined Jul 1999
453 Posts
You have to be more than 30' (10m) from the last Home point.

To test Home Lock, fly out about 50' and walk over to the point where you took off from. Then turn the model nose in and hit HOME LOCK and watch as the model flys toward you as you pull back on the elevator stick.

To test Course Lock, bring the model to a hover and push the stick forward to see what direction it moves in. Then turn it 90 degrees and bump the stick forward. Now it should move sideways (in the same direction it was moving before you turned it) The change is instant so be ready.

Tip: When checking the performance of Course Lock just bump the stick to see which direction it moves. This can be confussing until you understand what is going on.

Note: You can change the Home Point using the IOC switch. But, you "can not" change the Course Lock heading without re-powering the system.

Have Fun.

Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puget Sound Flyer View Post

PSF
testfly is offline Find More Posts by testfly
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:20 PM
United States, NH, Barrington
Joined Sep 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic View Post
Whie testing the auto land/fail safe everything works fine. But my hex landed a bit unstable (maybe the ground maybe the gear I was using) and flipped over. The motors did NOT shut down. In fact they sped up. Could this be because the hex was upside down before they had a chance to shut down and the hex simply got disoriented?

Also, my IOC didn't work this time....I need to double check in the assistant to see what might be going on there - it was working before.
Here is a video of the hex making a fine fail safe landing but motors didn't turn off when it flipped. Not sure why.

Naza Fail Safe Auto Land No Shutdown (0 min 42 sec)
Socratic is offline Find More Posts by Socratic
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:20 PM
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskoos View Post
I would like to know how the Naza would handle that extra thrust if you really serious about using it...
I could do it, but just because I can doesn't mean I should, I wouldn't want anyone else to try and copy it as the result might not be so good.
Aceflyer nz is offline Find More Posts by Aceflyer nz
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:22 PM
Future is RTF!!
Pensacola, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
278 Posts
can someone tell me which esc is good for the naza gps that i can purchase from hobbyking
Thanks
PCola-Flyer is offline Find More Posts by PCola-Flyer
Last edited by PCola-Flyer; Jun 24, 2012 at 08:30 PM.