HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:58 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Question
Twist 3D 480 good second 3D plane?

is the eflite twist 3D 480 a good second 3D plane? i had an eflite UMX extra 300 but it was too small and fragile for my skills and by the time i was used to flying it, it was half packing tape and too heavy to hover at full throttle haha . since then i have been on the simulator for hours at a time practicing. in real life i fly a parkzone T28 and Spitfire. i really want this plane and i have the guts from my first plane (T28 Trojan) i crashed. the electronics will work perfectly with the purchase of two extra DSV130's. oh yes, and im going to put a power 15 in it for some crazy !
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Jul 2004
183 Posts
Oops ... double post.
modestmagi is online now Find More Posts by modestmagi
Last edited by modestmagi; Jun 06, 2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Double post.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Jul 2004
183 Posts
Have you thought about a good 3D EPP foamy? Twisted Hobbies, 3DHS, and Tufflight all have some very good designs. They are tougher and more capable than the Twist and will really take the pucker factor out of learning 3d ...
modestmagi is online now Find More Posts by modestmagi
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
pucker factor? i really want a balsa
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:41 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Personally I stay away from eflite and great planes when it comes to 3d. I think most of their stuff is crap for the serious 3d.
Most of their 3d stuff i flew was overweight and under-responsive. Slapping a huge wing on a plane doesn't make it a good 3d plane.
I would look into a quality 3d frame such as an Extreme Flight or 3d Hobby Shop... Both of those companies have amazing planes, if you let us know what size or price range you had in mind we could steer you in the right direction.

The best 3d planes will actually be easier to learn 3d on. A lot of people start with cheap 3d planes or cheap foamys, but the good 3d pilots all end up in the same place...
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
Personally I stay away from eflite and great planes when it comes to 3d. I think most of their stuff is crap for the serious 3d.
Most of their 3d stuff i flew was overweight and under-responsive. Slapping a huge wing on a plane doesn't make it a good 3d plane.
I would look into a quality 3d frame such as an Extreme Flight or 3d Hobby Shop... Both of those companies have amazing planes, if you let us know what size or price range you had in mind we could steer you in the right direction.

The best 3d planes will actually be easier to learn 3d on. A lot of people start with cheap 3d planes or cheap foamys, but the good 3d pilots all end up in the same place...
I have a bit of a budget.... i could probably not spend over $120 on an ARF....i have a power 15, 950 kv with a 12x6 prop, two sub-micro metal gear servos, two micro nylon gear servos, a 30 amp ESC, and 3s 2200's. something in the 45-52 inch wingspan range.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:53 PM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
I have a bit of a budget.... i could probably not spend over $120 on an ARF....i have a power 15, 950 kv with a 12x6 prop, two sub-micro metal gear servos, two micro nylon gear servos, a 30 amp ESC, and 3s 2200's
I think we can find you something that you will love... Totally understand the budget! I just don't recommend planes like that to anyone who really wants to fly 3d. It's just inevitable that you will want to get into a better frame down the road...

I started in 2003 with a few small eflite's, then had a u can do 60 size by great planes, that was fun because it was huge and did a few things really easy. I took about 8 years off then came back and got into a 48" Extreme Flight Edge, then immediately got a 60" Extreme Flight Extra and the 3d is in a totally different realm than those eflite and great planes models. Every plane by either Extreme Flight or 3dHobby Shop will only make you want the same planes, but bigger!!

Let me do some research and throw a few things your way!
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
just looked at the 3Dhobbyshop 41" orange Edge 540..... affordable and SEXXYYYYY!!!! would that be too small for the power 15? thanks for understanding my budget, im 15 and i dont get many opportunities for 3D planes because they are expensive and only come ARF. the only reason im posting this is because my parkzone Spitfire had an elevator clevis failure 30 feet up..... full throttle onto the dirt . it was pretty bad. i pulled out the guts and now i have that and a T28 lol. i had an eflite UMX extra 300 but it was all thin depron...... bad first 3D plane.... i have watched all the training vids and spent hours a day on a sim.
Last edited by RCAddict16; Jun 06, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:03 PM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
If you want a fantastic small plane, but a bit bigger than that twist go for this!

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/41-Edge-5...e_p_14908.html

Worlds better than the twist, and actually cheaper!

If you want the cream of the crop in 3d planes get the 42" Slick. It's the smallest 3d plane that really flies like the big ones imo. This plane will take you to the next level in 3d!

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/42-AJ-Sli...e_p_15920.html

If you haven't looked into the EPP foam planes, they are a great way to start learning. When they crash, they are easily put back together most of the time. Twisted hobbies makes some great EPP models, the small 32" Crack Yak is an instant classic in the backyard flyers, and their Telink series are very cool as well.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:05 PM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Keep an eye out on the classifieds as well, you never know when something is going to pop up in your area!
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
can i use my power 15 and 2200's with the 41" edge 540?
Last edited by RCAddict16; Jun 06, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:23 PM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
As far as size goes I'm not 100% sure, but looks like more than enough power. Go over to the 41" Buck Huck thread and ask that question... You should get a quick answer over there from someone who's more familiar!
2200's are on the top end of the spectrum, but the smaller packs are probably in the $10 range so I doubt that's a deal breaker.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:04 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
4,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
pucker factor? i really want a balsa
get yourself a 3DHS 48'' edge or 47'' extra 300 SHP. both make a perfect first balsa 3d plane.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:54 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I have the 47 inch 3DHS Edge. I was out flying it this afternoon. Great plane. Will do anything. For learning I think the Telink 44 inch foamies are great though. Two guys in the group I fly with have them and put them through the wringer. One knocked the nose of the plane off in a dive into the dirt. The other did a KE at speed into the dirt flipping it all over. Tore the foam of the wing from the LE to the spar and from there 6 inches along the spar. In both cases a little Welders glue and back in service. Cant even tell they were broken. For learning I think it helps to have something that can take the abuse and be easily repaired and not just replaced. If you do get the 3DHS plane you wont be disappointed they are great.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull