HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:23 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
4,981 Posts
Help!
Can we get some moderation in this forum?? It needs serious help.

I don't know if anyone else around here feels the same way but I used to come here to share knowledge and see what other people are doing in the MR world. As of the last month or so my inbox is literally filled with subscription notices to threads where people are just arguing and attacking each other.

To me most of the threads have all gone downhill because people can't take the high road and leave it. I've been on this forum for years and haven't seen any of the airplane or heli sections get this bad short of a few small isolated incidents.

I love RCG but it seems like the only way you see moderation is when users report posts. I'd prefer to have moderators take it upon themselves to get rid of the blatant attacks and get threads back on track as it gets less enjoyable to surf the MR area by the day.

Anyone else agree or am I crazy?
Sid3ways is online now Find More Posts by Sid3ways
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:31 AM
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Mar 2008
145 Posts
I asked about two weeks ago. No dice. I guess the more blades you get the more bs that comes with it
h00t is offline Find More Posts by h00t
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,520 Posts
Moderating this forum is one issue and yes, we could use a tad bit more of that especially when it comes to marketing topics, lots of bashing. As to why this is happening, I believe it follows an age old situation, when money is involved, BS is on the raise. Considering DRONES is such a hot topic, companies are jockeying for position that will place them in the best position to collect on this increasing market. Unfortunately, the little guy will suffer as always.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Schweiz, BE, Münchenbuchsee
Joined Jun 2011
274 Posts
Go Go Andy for moderator
I vote for you to be a moderator
Morphin is offline Find More Posts by Morphin
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:38 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,440 Posts
I used to post lots in the MR forums to try to help people, answer questions etc. Now I hardly post at all due to fear of being attacked. It's no longer worth the trouble due to no moderation.

- Jeff
Canadian Geek is offline Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,293 Posts
FYI this forum is moderated. I know because I was told to edit a post and given 1 point just a week ago. I don't know how or why the mod makes a choice on what to correct, and most people don't seem to agree, but there is a moderator.
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:01 PM
United States, CT
Joined Mar 2011
980 Posts
At the rate posts are made here you would need many moderators full time to keep up, it's just too big.
AlPackin is offline Find More Posts by AlPackin
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:01 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
4,981 Posts
You were told to edit that post milo probably because someone reported it. There would be WAY more posts that say "This post is waiting for xxxxx to edit their post." But this only happens when people complain. I could spend just as much time reporting a boatload of posts that have no value to the forum as I could reading useful info on here.
Sid3ways is online now Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,293 Posts
Maybe but I don't think so. It was another thread about this same topic and I was told to take my post to "site chat". Now I will probably get another point.

This was my infraction--- Flatulence is when a user brings up a controversial off-topic issue (e.g. religion, politics, moderation issues) within the course of an on-topic discussion. Please keep all content in its proper place at RCGroups.
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:42 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
I'm fairly new around here, but compared to most forums on the Internet, this one seems extremely tame, and people are usually very helpful.

Go post on somethingaweful for a week and you'll probably harden up quickly :|
Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Jan 2011
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
I don't know if anyone else around here feels the same way but I used to come here to share knowledge and see what other people are doing in the MR world. As of the last month or so my inbox is literally filled with subscription notices to threads where people are just arguing and attacking each other.

To me most of the threads have all gone downhill because people can't take the high road and leave it. I've been on this forum for years and haven't seen any of the airplane or heli sections get this bad short of a few small isolated incidents.

I love RCG but it seems like the only way you see moderation is when users report posts. I'd prefer to have moderators take it upon themselves to get rid of the blatant attacks and get threads back on track as it gets less enjoyable to surf the MR area by the day.

You may find more traction here:
Site Suggestions / Complaints

I believe that most moderation is initiated here by reporting your fellow forum members....just my 02.
CheckSum is offline Find More Posts by CheckSum
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:09 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post

It is not so much the forum alone. I believe that the United States as a whole is having issue with people not knowing how to socialize.

Multi rotor as a whole attracts a lot of really geeky kids that are social rejects. They are nerds sitting in front of computers playing video game. They never fit in socially because they are more the intellectual type. They are not a hobbyist like the old time model airplane enthusiasts. They like electronics and computer programs. That's what makes these multi rotor flies.

On top of that with the advance of FPV nowadays that makes flying multi rotors more like a damn video game. So you have a bunch of people on the ends of the Bell curve coming on here. So the manufacturers and vendors flock to here to pawn their wares. Then the geeks respond by showing off because they cannot do that socially. When their agenda are not met they get mad and flame each others.

To top it off curmudgeon like myself cannot handle the behavior of these kids and start flaming them. Once in a long while I find a newbie that genuinely needs help and I do my best. However as a whole I found it totally useless to respond on the forum. You try to help some one and you don't even get a thank you. You say something and you better expect to get some one to cut you down.

All the moderation will not help. We need to educate. We need to band together and lynch mob some of these punks out of the way. We need to find a way to established some credibility and respect. We need some ways to sort the real information over hearsay and dangerous information.

Just look at the reason cat video. It is totally worthless as far as multi rotor goes. Then again you get a bunch of people linking the damn video here. These people have no worth in the for except to show that they know how to surf the internet and copy links around. They didn't create the video. They just copied the link.

My first forum was Modelnet on Compuserve. I have made many life long friends from there. We visited each other and fly together. Now, I doubt if I want to meet some of these people from this forum.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:41 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,002 Posts
The problem with RCG is its just too big, the multirotor section is just a small part of a much larger entity. I moderate a multirotor only forum on another site and things are very civilized there, mainly because the admin and mods stop any BS before it really gets started. It's been easy up to now because we don't get nearly the volume of posts that RCG does overall but with the ever increasing membership it's getting to the point that it isn't practical to keep up with everything being posted so I can understand why this forum isn't as well managed as some would like.

Personally I usually ignore the static, responding to it serves no purpose other than to fan the flames. If the BS gets too deep I just go away for a while and check back occasionally to see if the signal to noise ratio has improved, when it does I come back but lately I find myself spending less and less time here because there just isn't that much useful exchange of ideas and information anymore, just a lot of flame wars and DJI bashing it seems.
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder