HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:40 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
Hi all,

I picked up a Scorpion awhile back and finally had some time to build a light set for it.

I used eight 1.8mm LED's...4 White (Forward), 1 Red (Port), 1 Green (Starboard) and 2 Bule (Aft). I power the lights directly from the positive and negative terminals on the PCB using a Low Drop Constant Current Driver (LDCCD) that I developed. Using this LDCCD draws very little current so it doesn't affect flight times.

I need to get some time to fly now. I'll try and post some video soon.

Regards,
John
1Hammer is offline Find More Posts by 1Hammer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:45 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,662 Posts
Good Job, looks very cool.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:28 PM
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Good Job, looks very cool.
Thanks,

Had time to fly a little bit and it handles just as it did before installing the lights...they don't weigh very much. I'll try and post some video soon.

A few pictures with the canopy installed.

Regards,
John
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:52 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,662 Posts
Awesome. Bet it looks great flying.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:14 AM
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Awesome. Bet it looks great flying.
Thanks. Yeah those four headlights are EXTREMELY bright...when I turn it around and fly nose in they almost blind me.

Has anyone found a good after market battery for the Scorpion? I had some 400mAh 20C Zippy's on hand that I made up but I only get about 2 to 3 minutes flying time with them.

Regards,
John
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:17 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,662 Posts
Kind of a shame this little guy has been over shadowed by inferior clones of all sorts. Cheap Quads abound and every other day another. This is not a clone but Hobby grade six motor Y-6. Its an awesome bird to fly. With Ladybird V1 and Hoten-X as good as mico muti rotors go. I have clones also and indeed fun but they are second stringers by far.
Do you take Y-6 outside and smash it into rocks...> no unkless a fool. I fly this and just marvel at what goes into a little bird like this. Tiss a wonderment for sure. The agility of L./B V1 with Devo 7 TX is nothing short of awesome.
The sound and flying grace of Hoten-x is amazing and sound of four brushless motors running in sync. With hundreds of flights on my Walkrea birds I have replaced nothing. One stock Y-6 battery only good for four+ minutes but stills flys it. Some props bent and rebebt but never failed. Even the L/B V2 out shines the clones hands down.
Real sad thing Y-6 will go away as Ladybird V1 I fear.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:34 PM
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
Hi all,

I found these Turnigy nano-tech 1S 35-75C LiPo's at Hobby King...purchased 3 for $10.01USD total shipped. They fit the Scorpion battery cage perfectly, I converted them to Dean's and I get a good solid 7 minutes of flying time while discharging to only 30% capacity...so for the price they seem like a pretty good alternative.

I have the UP02 & UP02 Adapter, according to the Walkera website the Scorpion's firmware is upgradable but I haven't found the proper page yet. I hope to be able to upgrade the firmware so I can use the telemetry to monitor the the battery voltage.

Here's a couple of pics.

Regards,
John
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:08 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,662 Posts
You will find the nano-techs a big disapiontment. I bought several for my V1 and after 15 flights they fade out. I used 600ma in V929 and same thing and had to go back to stock 500ma. battery. Also many of nano-tech 150ma for other birds doa. and H/King does not stand behind them either. Some are ok and I know they are cheap. Guess why so cheap...> junk.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:23 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,662 Posts
My freind made trip down to Tucson last Sat. He brought a few helis/quads. His main flavor is biggie stuff. GPS/ camera/ bid quads etc. I'm small and biggest is 450 helis. Mostly mico 100 sized/ 250 etc. He repaired a Master c/p and had issues. Bound to my Devo 7 tx and his bird is fine. His TX just needs to be set-upo better. Anyway showed him many small birds and what they can do. My Y-6 is awesome flyer. I have bent a few blades but have not needed to replace any. One stock battery is going south but has served me well.
He flew his big quad and uses two 3 cell 2600ma batteries. Nice camera/ Naza gps/ brushless motors and great flying machine. Plus has goggles with real time picture as it flys. Needless to say some $$$/ plus DX18 TX.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:45 PM
United States, WI, Janesville
Joined Apr 2011
352 Posts
600 mah walkera bat fit and so do the full river. After 6 min the turnigy and the walkera are showing 3.7 - 3.8 volt. We will see how long they last as these are over a year old. I was using them in a 4G6.
weedan is offline Find More Posts by weedan
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:47 PM
Joined Apr 2011
352 Posts
Walkera Scorpion in the snow (3 min 45 sec)
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:48 PM
Joined Apr 2011
352 Posts
like the lights
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:50 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,662 Posts
Very good, like the sound of motors. Like I said some nano-tech are decent.
Now all you need is a Hoten-X.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:55 AM
Joined Apr 2011
352 Posts
Got the Hoten. With the wind and the snow I knew I was going to crash, figured the Scorpion and the Ladybird would survive better. The scorpion doesn't do as well in the wind as the Ladybird,once the wind is under it there is no control. It does handle a bit better with the camera weight.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:28 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Oct 2009
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer View Post
Thanks,

Had time to fly a little bit and it handles just as it did before installing the lights...they don't weigh very much. I'll try and post some video soon.

A few pictures with the canopy installed.

Regards,
John
You do have time , very nice job indeed.
Ariete is offline Find More Posts by Ariete