HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:59 AM
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Question
Is this boat any good?

Hi! Is this boat any good?

This is Exceed RC catamaran. Here is the link.
http://www.nitrorcx.com/99b-10117-650-ep-artr.html

Specification:
Length: 650mm
Beam: 190mm
Height: 95mm
Weight: 1500g
Hull Type: Fiberglass catamaran
Motor: 2848-2636KV water-cooled brushless
Propeller: Carbon-reinforced plastic D32*P1.4 3-blade
Driveline: Flexible drive
Hardware: CNC aluminum strut and rudders
Radio (Required): 2 channel
Battery (Required): 11.1v 3000-4500mAh LiPo

Can this handle little chop? I know that deep v can handle, but I wonder if this can handle little chop.
If this boat is good enough, what power plant would be good to upgrade (kv rate of bl motor, how many amps for esc, the numbers of Li-po cells, and the prop size)
I guess the stock speed would be 35-40 mph. Do you think it can go over 50 mph with a better power system?

Thank you for your attention!
savage0102 is offline Find More Posts by savage0102
Last edited by savage0102; Jun 06, 2012 at 04:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2012, 06:54 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,079 Posts
Hi Savage,

It's a semi scale model of an offshore cat, these cats are long and narrow and designed to go fast in a straight line.
Sure they can take some chop, but not nearly as much as a monohull the same size.

Fast cornering might even be an issue with such a small, relative narrow single motor set-up.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:48 PM
Danmark, Sjælland, Sorø
Joined May 2011
436 Posts
I agree with Jan,

I dont think it will handle any chop, and even in mild conditions, i think fast cornering with this one will be difficult.
bostong is offline Find More Posts by bostong
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Hi, guys! Thank you very much for your responses!

Then, how about these boats?

#1. Exceed RC Sword Mono 630. Here is the link. http://www.nitrorcx.com/99b-10018-630-ep-artr.html

#2. Excced RC Shark Mono 650. Here is the link. http://www.nitrorcx.com/99b-10021-650-ep-artr.html

Q#1. Which one can handle chops better?

Q#2. Which one would be faster?

Q#3. Sword 630 goes with "2636 KV BL motor & 3-cell li-po" and Shark goes with "4122 KV motor & 2-cell li-po." What are the pros and cons of these different setups?

Sorry for asking many questions, but I am not an expert, so that I need your advices! Thank you very much for your attention!

Savage
Old Jun 06, 2012, 05:07 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,079 Posts
Hi Savage,

The Sword is a relatively small boat that is fast, but won't handle much chop at that speed, it's just too small.

The Shark is a clone of a German competition boat; the step makes it the faster of the two, with an upgrade it'll be even faster.
Again, the size lets it handle light chop, nothing bigger and certainly not at speed.

Both boats are set-up to rev in the sweet spot, this can be achieved through Kv or Voltage.
The higher the Voltage, the lower the ampdraw, all within the limits of the design ofcourse.

What's your 'fascination' with handling chop, if I may ask?

Small fast electrics can only handle a certain amount of chop, if you want a boat that can handle chop, get a Deep V , as large as you can afford with medium speed.

Regards, Jan.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Hi, Jan!

Thank you very much for your answer!

I am living in Vancouver, B.C., Canada. Here, it is windy most of time (not too windy, but there are always some chops on the lakes here.). Only when the sun goes down, wind also often goes down, so that the water is calm only for a moment.

Thus, I need a boat that can handle a little chops. I don't do racing and I am not a too serious boater who can spend thousands of dollars. I just want to do relatively fast run through little chops for stress relief with reasonable amount of budget. (In addition, I have been running nitro boats over 10 years, so I have some experience of boating as well as cars and airplanes. But I am not a knowledgeable hobbier. I am only in the low intermediate level.)

As a result, the Sword and Shark boats fall into my budget.

Then, do you recommend Shark than Sword?

You said, "The higher the Voltage, the lower the ampdraw." Then, do you mean using "a higher cell li-po & a lower KV motor" better thatn 2-3 cell li-po with a higher KV motor?

In the future, for upgrade, what kv rate, the cell numbers of li-po battery, and the prop size and blade numbers would be good? After running in the stock setup for a while, I would get a new powerplant from Hobbypartz.com or Hobby King because of their reasonable price.

If you can give me some advices for upgrading the power plant, it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much again!

Savage
Old Jun 07, 2012, 03:58 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,079 Posts
Hi Savage,

Another option would be the larger Snap:
http://www.nitrorcx.com/99b-10022-snap-720-ep-artr.html
Being bigger, it'll handle more chop.

Downside is the absence of a floodchamber which makes both the Sword and the Shark selfrighting, a nice feature when running on a large body of water.

If you're willing to invest the time and material, it's always possible to install a floodchamber in a monohull, I've added foodchambers to both our ARPRO's and my Arowana.

Speaking of which; the R2Hobbies Arowana should fall within your budget if you get the version with the hardware installed and add your own motor, receiver, ESC and Lipo.
http://www.r2hobbies.com/rc-boats/ar...cing-boat.html
Or get a bare hull and install all components yourself:
http://www.r2hobbies.com/rc-boats/hu...boat-hull.html
Assembling a monohull isn't a big deal, specially with all the help from this forum.

I'm currently running my Arowana on 4S 5800mAh, with Turnigy 4 pole 3674-B-1900Kv turning a 45 mm aluminum threeblade prop and the speed is scratching the 50 mph mark.
Needless to say you can't run this fast in heavy chop, but on racewater the boat is managable.
If you're interested, there's a large thread on this boat on this forum, use the search.

Regards, Jan.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:05 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,079 Posts
Oops, double post.
Last edited by pompebled; Jun 08, 2012 at 03:45 AM.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:58 AM
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Hi, Jan!

Thank you very much for your answer! I will go with a bigger one that you recommended!

Could I ask one quesition, please?

A while ago, the teflon liner was chewed up by touching the clutch of my old proboat shockwave 55 s, so that I have replaced the teflon liner. But I think that the inner diameter of the new teflon liner from Pro Boat is slightly bigger than the inner diameter of the old one. Thus, there is a bigger gap between the prop shaft and the new teflon liner. And even though I put lots of high quality marine grease in the teflon liner, still water comes in quite a lot.

With the old teflon liner, the inside of the boat used to be bone dry all the time, but now, after running for 15-20 minutes, I get a couple of cups water in the boat. Absolutely I hate it.

I have put a silicone tube over the end of the stuffing tube, and the silicone tube makes a tigh contact with the shaft. And yet this does not work at all.

Any solutions for this? I got quite frustated with this issue. If you can give me a good advice, it will be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much for your attention again!

Savage
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:45 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,079 Posts
Hi Savage,

As I only run solid shafts and wire drives, I have no water ingress issues with my boats.
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with flexshafts either, so I can't offer any advice.

Don't worry, another member surely will respond with a solution to your problem.

Regards, Jan.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:24 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
teflon liner

Your stuffing tube size is how big? I use .130 liner in a 7/32" but have to sand it to fit. Never a problem.Get a liner that will require sanding so you can slide the liner in with mininuum pressure. Now going without liner requres a smaller stuffing tube. The only 2 solutions i have in my memory box. Sticking a tight hose at coupler won't do much good. Lets hear a reply,ok. I read no racing but chop is your problem. I would buy off ebay a Villian EX and use a single motor with trim tabs and get a rudder with a 440 Octura prop on 3S. I put a 2860 b 2700 and 60amp esc. Speed will be 35-37 mph. Mine runs great the first time, worth a try. I used 7/32" stuffing tube with .130 cable and liner. These are suggestions only that worked for me. Now i wouldn;t pass this on if they didn't work.
Mikedown is offline Find More Posts by Mikedown
Last edited by Mikedown; Jun 08, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:06 PM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,087 Posts
All them posted are actually by the looks of it nearly all of them dragon hobbies boats there name on them
i had 1 of there cats and was actually pretty till 1 of the cheap bearings went in the stinger so just watch out for them other than i had loads of fun with mine
F1 madness is offline Find More Posts by F1 madness
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Hi, Boaters!

Thank you very much for your responses!

I have been so busy with some urgent things for my work, that I haven't come here for a while. Sorry!

I have got a teflon liner that has slightly smaller inner diameter, but the outer diameter is a little too big for the stuffing tube. So as "retoabcr" recommended, I need to sand it to fit in the stuffing tube.

What grid of sandpaper will be good for proper sanding?

And how fast will the boat that "pompbled" recommended?

Thank you very much for your attention!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:06 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage0102 View Post
And how fast will the boat that "pompebled" recommended run?
Hi Savage,

With the stock 1880Kv motor on 4S and a 42 mm prop, the Arowana runs 40 mph.
Mine has a Turnigy 3674-B-1900Kv installed and on 4S with a 44 mm threeblade the speed scratches the 50 mph mark (haven't had a GPS in it yet).

Regards, Jan.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:14 AM
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Hi, Pompebled!

Thank you very much for your response!

Sorry for asking a few more questions, but if you don't mind, could you answer the following questions, please?

#Q1. Both my little daughter and I like the look of ARPRO 700 ep boat. Here is the link.
http://www.nitrorcx.com/99b-10016-ye...0-ep-artr.html

I know that the stock motor and ESC are not powerful enough. Then, with a more powerful BL motor and ESC, will this boat go faster (40 - 50 mph)? Can the hull handle this kind of speed? If so, what motor would be good (kv rating & the shaft diameter for connecting with the shaft.)

Q#2. For an upgraded motor, are a new motor mounting plate and a new coupler required? If so, how to mount the motor mounting plate on the hull, and where to get a proper one?

Q#3. The picture shows that the ARPRO "yellow" one (the link is avobe.) has a flex shaft. But the "black one" seems to have a solid shaft (the red one, too). Here is the link.
http://www.nitrorcx.com/99b-10016-bl...0-ep-artr.html

If so, a solid shaft or a flex shaft, which one is better for "long-lasting" & "preventing water's coming in" through the stuffing tube or teflon liner?

Q#4. Is buying a hull of the ARPRO boat and installing a better BL motor & ESC too much hassle? Will the 720 mm deep v boat from NItro RCX that you recomend be a much better choice? (Maybe, I guess so, but my little daughter and I like the look of APRO more than the 720mm deep v. This is a problem!! However, the 720 mm deep v is a better choice in terms of handling and less hassle, certainly, I will go with that.)

Sorry for asking too many questions, but I greatly greatly appreciate your advices!!! Thank you very much!

Savage
Last edited by savage0102; Jun 17, 2012 at 05:35 AM.