HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by bmiller, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:34 AM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Data
ALFA A-4 modded 1000W

Dusted off my little A-4, I had parked it after the aileron trim kept changing inflight. Other jets had my interest so it never got looked into. So it's been 2 years, time to fix it!
Pulled the intake duct and fan out tonite. Good thing I parked it!
The aileron servo had unglued itself and was flopping around, the fan stator assy had broken free and slid forward with the rotor protruding into the duct, the outer fan mounting ring also broken free and the main bulkhead was broken in half.
Guess thats the price you have to pay for having 900watts in an alfa A-4!
Epoxied the servo down and CA'd the fan back together adding epoxy around the stators and outer mounting ring. Bulkhead also CA'd plus epoxy to reinforce the cracked area and some extra on the fuse/ bulkhead joints as well. Reassembled, need to get a 2.4 rx for it or I'll have to use my old optic6.

Mods: cutdown het rotor in the alfa shroud stator/motor assy moved back so rotor runs in the shroud. Mega 16/15/2 4600kv CC60A ESC on 4S2200s.
Smaller exhaust duct exit 57mm.
Foam shims added inside the inlets to shrink the too large intakes for higher top speed, Seemed faster but then the aileron issue started so I parked it.
I'm adding some red paint on the wings/tail to see it better inflight, the navy paint is tough to see and the jet is tiny and seriously fast. Maybe Herb can get a speed read on it saturday. I'm hoping somewhere around 145mph.
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
Last edited by bmiller; Jun 09, 2012 at 11:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:07 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Still need to get an 2.4 RX in it but otherwise ready to go!
I added some dayglo orange to see it better.
Not scale but it was tough flying it with just the scale paintjob.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:24 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Got AR6115e rx and a 30C 4S 2200 skylipo to play with tomorrow.
Should be fun!

Went to field checked power w/ E-meter using 4S 2200 skylipo.
OMG Todays lipos are so much better now! Too good in fact!
1078W @ 75A!
I have a CC60 in there which used to be more than enough amp handling capability for this setup.
Didn't fly it. Decided I need to install a seperate BEC, the ESCs is being overstressed now because of the current technology lipos.
Last edited by bmiller; Jun 09, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 09:14 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,717 Posts
And??

It's been another year, B! Did she become a shelf queen again, for want of a decent esc?

Really would like to know just how you made out here.
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Jul 21, 2013, 05:17 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,717 Posts
Mr. Miller, you fly this one anymore?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 01:01 AM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, it's still sitting in the garage, at the time, I thought about it some more and I was pretty sure that little mega16/15/2 motor would fry at 1000+ watts so I parked it. Either I re-motor it or use 3S. 3S is easier so I'll give it a go next weekend.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:04 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,717 Posts
Thank you for the update - probably still gonna be up in the 700+ watt territory on 3s. Must be a bullet.

Interested as I just bought one of these and been thinking about powerplants. Still undecided about 3s or 4s for power, and haven't checked out the plane close enough yet to see how each would fit. Guess I oughta do that first .

Thanks again. Looking forward to how you make out.