HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:20 AM
Joined May 2012
14 Posts
Help!
12 v / 240 v Powering a Turnigy 149kv through a TURNIGY K-Force 120A-HV OPTO 5-12S Br

Hey RC motor People!

I just brought a Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6374-149kv Brushless Outrunner Motor and a TURNIGY K-Force 120A-HV OPTO 5-12S Brushless ESC.

I do not want to use batteries and want to get reliable energy down long wires from another sources:

Question 1 - I want to test some new ideas out far away from a power supply by using my cars battery. What kind of adapter do I need to be able to run the motor off a 12v car battery? Do I need an inverter?

Question 2 - What is the best/ cheapest 240v plug in power source for this set up (so that I do not blow/ melt anything up). I have a feeling that these variable power sources are available in most electronic stores... (however when I go to most of these stores they guys seem to have no idea :-))

Question 3 - Can you direct me to a product that would comfortably cover all of the above in one device? Something with variable output?

Would one of these do the trick for the 240v power supply?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productResu...keyform=CAT2#3

And then use a 12v converter like this:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productResu...keyform=CAT2#3

Question 4 - If I was setting this up out of the back of my car would I have to then use the 12 v inverter (inverting to 240 v) - then plug it into the 240v power supply?

Question 5 - What is the best solution to my problems? :-)

Thank you my international crew of engineering technicians!
simon mack is offline Find More Posts by simon mack
Last edited by simon mack; Jun 06, 2012 at 12:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:58 AM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
You could use an inverter to take your 12V car battery to 240VAC and then a switchmode power supply to drop the voltage back down power your ESC/ Motor, but about a third of your battery capacity will be converted to heat. For far less than the $1k cost of the above you could buy a high power charger and 5S to 12S Lipoly packs that can be charged from 12VDC.

The only other problem would be that a 12V car battery will only last for a very short time at the kind of loads you are proposing to draw.
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:14 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2012
360 Posts
Not sure what yo doin, but your esc needs dc, you could go straight from your car battery through to the esc, if your trying to fire up the motor without an esc let me know how you go as i am trying to work that out myself.
micka80ella is offline Find More Posts by micka80ella
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:49 AM
Joined May 2012
14 Posts
RobC - Can you tell me exactly what I need to buy, and in what order I have to connect the equipment.

Cheers
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:09 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,446 Posts
The motor runs on DC like your car 12V battery. If you want to run it from the car battery the simplest setup is just 12V car battery to ESC to motor. 12V is a bit low for that motor but it should run. You also need something to control the ESC, either transmitter/receiver or servo tester.

If you want to get a bit closer to max power for the motor just get two 12V heavy duty batteries and connect them in series for 24V (like most trucks do).

Other than that it gets more complicated and a lot more expensive and the first thing you need to decide is exactly how much power you need from the motor and what voltage you want to run it at.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:14 AM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
Hi Simon

I would need more information on what you are trying to achieve, power wise.

Your ESC is good for 5 to 12S say 18 to 50V. At 100A that would give you around 2 to 5kW to play with.

I personally would go for a pair of PL8 chargers and a large series/parallel Lipo pack, or maybe LiFe cells for durability if weight is not a problem.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:20 AM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micka80ella View Post
Not sure what yo doin, but your esc needs dc, you could go straight from your car battery through to the esc, if your trying to fire up the motor without an esc let me know how you go as i am trying to work that out myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
The motor runs on DC like your car 12V battery. If you want to run it from the car battery the simplest setup is just 12V car battery to ESC to motor. 12V is a bit low for that motor but it should run.

Steve
That ESC will NOT run on 12V. It will fail on start up will a low voltage error.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:12 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
I would think your best bet and cheapest solution would be to modify 3 server power supplies like you would for using them with a charger (see other threads) and wire them in series to give you 36V. Or you could even do 4 for 48V. I highly suggest you find someone locally who knows what they are doing though. You're dealing with a lot of power which could easily kill you.

Edit: Wait I got side tracked from the replies. You want to run this remotely off a car battery. Then I guess this solution won't work for you. You're going to have to up convert the DC voltage quite a bit. It would be cheaper to buy a 3-4 deep cycle marine batteries and run off those in series. Also keep in mind you should not extend the wires on the motor side of the ESC. Any extra wire has to be on the battery side. Even then I think there's limits without using capacitors. And you'll need some pretty heavy gauge wire.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Last edited by grimbeaver; Jun 06, 2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:42 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
You have to remember if you draw ~2000W for that motor that would be pulling off a 12V battery at 166A continuous. I'm not sure a car battery can take that kind of load.

Here's some step-up DC-DC converters, like I said, multiple batteries would be cheaper:
http://zahninc.com/su1.html
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:00 AM
Joined May 2012
14 Posts
Thank you - I will give this a shot.

:-)
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:55 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,774 Posts
Most supplies cannot take surges up and down in draw.
IMO, as mentioned many times, put several 12V in series but expect a short life if doing more than short bursts. A car will pull 100-200A for 5-10 seconds max, under normal use, and the recharge process begins immediately afterwards.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman