HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,777 Posts
I would suspect both are too heavy. And the power 10 is more than needed for my needs anyway. Had a friend that put a power 10 in a mini funtanax and did not like it at all because of the extra weight - he went right back to the park 480. I believe the Parkzone 480 is heavier than the park 480, with somewhere close to the same power.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:01 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
386 Posts
Thanks. I was hoping I could use what I have. I didn't realize the Parkzone was heavier. Knew the Power 10 was.
onewire is offline Find More Posts by onewire
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:55 AM
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Jan 2011
266 Posts
Saw someone has the recommended 1020kv e-flite Park 480 on the classifieds for $40 shipped right now. I really want to snatch it up for a backup, but know I shouldn't spend the funds right now.

It's in the power systems section.
-Jeff
midnightsabotage is offline Find More Posts by midnightsabotage
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:29 PM
definitely a madman with a box
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
Great article. I've been looking for a smaller plane to learn 3D with that I can keep in the trunk and go fly when I get a spare minute. This seems like just the ticket.

I almost want to get one just to try the tail wheel first landing kingsflyer talked about.
MadManWithABox is online now Find More Posts by MadManWithABox
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:57 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,791 Posts
Thanks for the review! This is tempting as I have some spare DS76 servos from a 450X and a Park 480 motor and a ton of 3s2200 lipos....
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:08 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,986 Posts
Thanks for the kudos guys. I'd recommend you go ahead and get one on order, just be prepared to be out in public with a big grin on your face! This Twist 480 flies awesome!

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:57 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
386 Posts
I'm gonna use an Omega 72 (72g, 400W) with a Turnigy Plush 40a. Will put the Katana Mini rebuild on the shelf for now. Only bought it used for the powertrain, anyway. Gonna get one on order at the LHS.

Is it just me, or does the recommended ESC with a .7A SBEC seem weak for 4 digital servos?
onewire is offline Find More Posts by onewire
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:18 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,986 Posts
I've been flying the poop out of mine and it's working just fine on four digital servos.
McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:37 PM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,287 Posts
I'm not so sure I will be holding on to the one I just built up. The tail needs to be a bit longer for better pitch stability on 3D tail heavy CG settings. I actually had to add 7gram aka 1/4 oz nose weight to mine to get the GC to where its supposed to balance out. My 2200 battery all the way forward was not enough. I hope that turns the plane into a fun flyer as a 3D plane its not predictable as my other balsa planes. GP Reactor Bipe and 3DHS Edge are GREAT! This thing may be stripped of components and offered up for sale.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:35 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,928 Posts
Well, so somebody agrees with my pitch, lack of stability, assesment.. I'm still gonna try a different elevator servo .... The tail heavy, pitch instability, make landings an adventure.
alpea 41 is online now Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
Well, so somebody agrees with my pitch, lack of stability, assesment.. I'm still gonna try a different elevator servo .... The tail heavy, pitch instability, make landings an adventure.
I thought it was the servo centering but when I tested the servo it responds fine. The linkages could be a bit tighter with the elevator horn and servo side connector but its nothing out of the ordinary. I find my plane is just too tail heavy for pitch stability and it feels like its always out of trim and never stays in line with the wing unless its high speed. I'm climbing or diving. This is really just a tail heavy plane with a short tail that can't cope with the rearward CG.

I'm also having a really bad roll on KE flight. That is another sign of a rearward cg issue. Maybe moving the CG back to where it belongs will turn this into a fun flyer.

I added the weight and hope to test her out after work.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:52 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,928 Posts
Yeah mine rolls over on it's back in a canopy towards me right to left knife edge pass.
I just had a thought (((( oot ooh )))) this could be dangerous... Might try mixing flaperons to elevator. Just a little percentage... I just dont know whether to mix up with up or down with up.
Sounds like a mix up to me
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:04 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,287 Posts
Twist 3D 480 redeemed

I decided to follow the manual to the letter and dug out my CG machine rather than my finger method to set the CG spot on. I also grabbed my GreatPlanes Accu Throw tool and set up the controls to the manual rather than eye ball them. Shame on me for saying a bad word about this plane with my shoddy building methods. So with precise full throw settings and not over doing the controls and a 1/4 oz stick on weight with the 2200 batt all the way forward in the nose the plane flew great.

I took off and noticed the tail was precise while upright and the instability in pitch was cured with that 1/4 oz weight stuck on the firewall under the motor. I rolled inverted ,and what do you know, hands free neutral flight. I then bought her down and was doing really slow and low inverted high alpha flight. It was so easy that I felt like I was flying a profile foamy. Hovering was a breeze even with the added nose weight. The plane loves inverted flight and is more neutral in high alpha without a hint of wing rock. Knife edge flight was a little better but seriously its not the plane for KE.

What a lesson I learned here. This plane went from not that great to AWESOME with a little attention to detail.

The sun had set and I was still flying her. My buds were packing up and I had another battery in the plane. Mosquitoes buzzed as I followed the plane through its low and slow routine. Then a mosquito went in my eye and I reacted by taking my eye off the plane... It was a split second but that's all it took. I got focus back as I saw the plane nose in, in the tall grass. It sounded bad and when I walked the 30 yards over I saw that it was totaled. Fuse was in half and firewall off, with wing tube now floating inside one of the wings. The plane missed the tall grass and hit hard earth. Ah the joys of RC!

The MG servos were not injured but in the low light I couldn't find my 6 dollar pilot that ejected out on impact. He must have hid so he wouldn't have to put up with my flying.

I went from bad mouthing this plane, ready to pull the guts out of it and move on, to losing it and now replacing it. Nuff said.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:41 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,928 Posts
It takes a big man to admit he was wrong.. I also found mine to be most stable with a 2200 battery . But 3d is flown with a rear ward C G
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:38 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,928 Posts
2200ma battery and 1 oz of lead on the nose tamed the pitch sensitivity on the 1st flight. The landing was text book perfect. Then on the 2nd flight ,same set up, pitch instability returned. Now to swap that servo.