HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:16 AM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louierc View Post
It seems like the big flying problem is roll stability - a simple gyro would fix that.
There's no roll instability and a gyro is not necessary.

There is a slight back-and-forth rocking motion when there is very little air flow over the hull (either from forward motion or prop blast) but it's not an instability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIPaWL4FYns
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:08 AM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspar View Post
Dang, it seems I'm the only one who can't get one of these to fly!

Raglafart, you built a Charybdis? The whirly maple-seed thing? We'd like to see a build log on that.
Has anyone come up with a way control one (RC)?
California Condor is online now Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:28 AM
Just Plane Nuts
USA, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Dec 2008
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
There's no roll instability and a gyro is not necessary.

There is a slight back-and-forth rocking motion when there is very little air flow over the hull (either from forward motion or prop blast) but it's not an instability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIPaWL4FYns
Well, to me that rocking is not stable - Since the design has no real 'wings' that add to a roll moment arm, the motor torque has a pronounced effect. I doubt that Buck Rogers would approve.
Louierc is offline Find More Posts by Louierc
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:26 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,304 Posts
1. That slight back-and-forth oscillation is not instability: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instability: "Instability within a system is generally characterized by some of the outputs or internal states growing without bounds."

2. There are NO observable motor torque effects with my Spaceship setup.

3. I doubt that Buck Rogers has been flying one of these all summer like I have, so I don't really care if he would approve or not.

This is a simple model that flies pretty much like any basic sport plane, and it doesn't seem necessary to overcomplicate or overanalyze things.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:54 PM
Australia, NSW, Lane Cove West
Joined Jul 2008
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspar View Post
Dang, it seems I'm the only one who can't get one of these to fly!

Raglafart, you built a Charybdis? The whirly maple-seed thing? We'd like to see a build log on that.
There's really not a whole lot to build to be honest. All I did was instead of using the spruce bits was to update and substitute them for some glass arrow shaft I'd had sitting around for ages.
I'll include the link to the u-tube video a buddy took at the Cowra Oily hand day back in August. Just found a picture of the models I took to Cowra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...=_QBm1rm88Yo#!
raglafart is offline Find More Posts by raglafart
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:22 PM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,033 Posts
Finally finished repairing the damage and started covering the little beastie. I had a roll of silver Ultracoat in my stash and decided to use it.

The Ultracoat is fairly easy to use and stretches nicely, but the structure and shape of this model means a lot of time spent getting things just right. Covering is about half done. I'll probably leave the fin red for orientation.
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:57 PM
Hatters gonna hat.
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Now thats starting to look like a Zeppelin!
madbomber is offline Find More Posts by madbomber
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:07 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Ultracote is definately better with shrinking and it's good to see their silver does so well. I worked with Monocote silver before and it seems that the iron discolors the silver if it gets too hot.

That is going to look nice! Zeppelin! Fill it with hydrogen and see what happens!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:20 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,790 Posts
Just a "heads up" Pete; many years ago I crashed a model covered in silver film (I think it was Solarfilm) which had an internal Rx aerial due to loss of control at medium range. I don't know what radio you are using, 2.4 would probably be immune from any problems, or whether the covering you are using has a metallic content, but I thought it was worth just mentioning it.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:51 AM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,033 Posts
Thanks, Jodini and Bomber.

Sundancer, good point about the RF issue with metallic covering. I know silver Monokote is notorious for antenna blockage, not sure about Ultracoat. I'll definitely range check this bird.

Continued the covering this morning. One of the bays will be left open for battery and switch access. A balsa hatch will be held in place with magnets.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:23 AM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,033 Posts
Finished covering (I'm leaving the very back end open for now) and added the fence/chine things and dorsal fin. These are EPP foam.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:28 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Looking good brokenspar! Love the hatch!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:29 AM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,033 Posts
Thanks, Jodini. Hoping for a re-maiden soon.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:26 AM
Stupid Gravity!
Arvada, Co
Joined Feb 2006
843 Posts
That's awesome Pete!! I really like the colors. Very vintage looking.

I wonder if a twin would be fun. The nacelles could add a little lift and if the props were counter-rotating... I guess it would look more like a blimp at that point, huh...

Looks great. Looking forward to seeing it in the air!

Franny
Franny B is offline Find More Posts by Franny B
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:10 PM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,033 Posts
Thanks Franny. I had hoped for some testing today, but the wind gods are not cooperating!

The weight on this ship has reached a ghastly 12 ounces, almost twice that of Clough's original. I should have plenty of power (I measured the little outrunner this morning at about 60 watts) but the "wing" loading may be way out of bounds. If nothing else, this project will make an unique shelf model, assuming I have a strong shelf.

P