SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:22 PM
United States, MA, Beverly
Joined Dec 2011
52 Posts
Discussion
New Steam plant

Mostly I've been lurking along...although I did post once or twice in the scale forum.
I did live steam trains , gauge 1 for a number of years but all electric now. Bought a Douglas Greg from Loyalhanna and was originally going to put it on live steam.

Anyway.... Maccsteam 3 1/2" boiler with a small mod to the sight glass, TV1RABB built from the kit, and PM research fittings. I know most use copper tube but I kinda like the look of the pipe etc. May have to build a test hull since I'm not happy with the runout on the shaft. My dial indicator shows it at 0.004 when it's running. Any ideas on that would be welcome.

I do like the radiant glow in the burner though.
lvmosher is offline Find More Posts by lvmosher
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:58 PM
P31
United States, WA, Spanaway
Joined Dec 2011
598 Posts
Very nice pipe work, the lay out is neat and clean. Very nice looking plant.
Gary
P31 is offline Find More Posts by P31
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamela31 View Post
Very nice pipe work, the lay out is neat and clean. Very nice looking plant.
Gary
I agree with Gary.I like the pipe fittings. Ronnie.
onfinal32 is offline Find More Posts by onfinal32
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:13 PM
I SEE NO SHIPS
Somerset England
Joined Feb 2007
1,229 Posts
Hi.
Is the run out on the shaft , or on the coupler fitting ?
I would not expect much on the shaft unless it is bent.
Have you put any thinking into how you are going to controll the speed or direction of the engine , Ie regulator , linkage servo ,?
Nice plant by the way .
DUNC2504
dunc2504 is offline Find More Posts by dunc2504
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:20 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,598 Posts
Looks super cool!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jun 05, 2012, 11:19 PM
Just call me "Mo"
NE PDX OR
Joined Aug 2008
817 Posts
Looks like your choices all worked just fine..We sure hope a hull is in your future soon so you can tackle the fun puzzles it will bring to you..Duncan alluded to one of the first two- a servo operated control for the forward / reverse and one also for throttle control.

Down through the rabbit hole you will go...come on in the water is grand!
mogogear is offline Find More Posts by mogogear
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:11 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, KBH
Joined May 2007
497 Posts
Super....
Bernhard BB is offline Find More Posts by Bernhard BB
Old Jun 06, 2012, 06:19 AM
Joined Dec 2011
52 Posts
Thanks guys
Duncan.... checked the run-out at the shaft not the coupling. I emailed Graham, waiting to see what he has to say.

The servo part will be easy, I have plenty of RC experience in RCing stuff. Nice thing about boats...lots of room in the hull
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Dec 2011
52 Posts
Decided to do a little test. I hooked up a 12v Pittman motor using a dogbone style universal and added a 13 ohm load to the motor so it ran as a generator. The run-out at the motor shaft was essential 0.0" but still pretty much 0.004" on the steam engine shaft. It ran really well for 30 minutes, at 20 psig, at what I think might be a typical prop speed.... so perhaps I'll have to live with it. I do need a bigger spit tank though as it stated spitting out the vent pipe at 25minutes.

How do you guys trim your FG hulls down to the shear line?...gotta do that on the Greg next as I think I'll continue with the original plan for now.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:50 AM
Just call me "Mo"
NE PDX OR
Joined Aug 2008
817 Posts
Lagging the steam line will reduce the amount of water you are transporting to the engine. that may reduce the amount you are collecting...and keep it in steam form longer..
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:11 PM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmosher View Post
Decided to do a little test. I hooked up a 12v Pittman motor using a dogbone style universal and added a 13 ohm load to the motor so it ran as a generator. The run-out at the motor shaft was essential 0.0" but still pretty much 0.004" on the steam engine shaft. It ran really well for 30 minutes, at 20 psig, at what I think might be a typical prop speed.... so perhaps I'll have to live with it. I do need a bigger spit tank though as it stated spitting out the vent pipe at 25minutes.
As Duncan says the shaft could be bent, or as this is the B.B. engine with the 2- bearings on the outside of the crank web could one of the bearings , especially the outside one be out of line.
\How about slackening of the bearing and see if it's out of line and pulling to one side, if this is the case it will put a strain on the crank web.
It's most unusual for 2- blocks with Ball bearing races fitted to have run out.

Just a thought.
George.
ooyah is offline Find More Posts by ooyah
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Dec 2011
52 Posts
Lagging is in the plans, I guess I should try lagging before making a bigger spit tank.

George, I agree... if I don't here back from Graham soon I'll take the engine apart to see what I can discover.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:50 PM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmosher View Post
Lagging is in the plans, I guess I should try lagging before making a bigger spit tank.

George, I agree... if I don't here back from Graham soon I'll take the engine apart to see what I can discover.
Hi,
I am not too familiar with the construction of the TVR engine, is the crank shaft machined from the solid or is it fabricated ?
If it's fabricated how are the webs fixed to the main shaft ?

I know that Cheddar when in business used to fabricate the shafts and pinned the web thro" to the shaft with grub screws.

If this is the case with your engine I would be reluctant to run it too much until you sort out the problem of the run out.
George.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:52 PM
Just call me "Mo"
NE PDX OR
Joined Aug 2008
817 Posts
George

The cranks are single piece machined.......
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:09 PM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogogear View Post
George

The cranks are single piece machined.......
Just had a look on their web site as I thought that there would be a central support but they over come this by putting two bearings at ether end of the shaft.

Thanks for the info.
George.
Last edited by ooyah; Jun 06, 2012 at 03:19 PM.