HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by rbcodell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:18 PM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Nov 2010
35 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
For Sale
IR cut filters for cameras

I don't have these yet, but was planning to order a bunch of infrared cut filters for FPV cameras from a Chinese optics company. The trouble is I need to order in batches of 100, and need to know if there is a general interest from FPV people.

These filters are blue glass that filters out most of the infrared light longer than 650 nm. This will improve the color resolution of cameras without filters. The CCD and CMOS detectors are too sensitive to IR light, which is good for nightime viewing, but bad for daylight. Most video and snapshot electronic cameras have such a filter. The filter replaces the glass cover over the detector. These filters are specially made for the purpose, and are similar to those being shipped by some security camera companies for daylight viewing.

If all goes well, I should be able to sell these for just a few dollars each.

Please write me about your interest. If I get positive responses, I will go ahead and order them, and should have them in about a month.

Richard
rbcodell is online now Find More Posts by rbcodell
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:40 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2006
2,538 Posts
Trader Rating: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbcodell View Post
I don't have these yet, but was planning to order a bunch of infrared cut filters for FPV cameras from a Chinese optics company. The trouble is I need to order in batches of 100, and need to know if there is a general interest from FPV people.

These filters are blue glass that filters out most of the infrared light longer than 650 nm. This will improve the color resolution of cameras without filters. The CCD and CMOS detectors are too sensitive to IR light, which is good for nightime viewing, but bad for daylight. Most video and snapshot electronic cameras have such a filter. The filter replaces the glass cover over the detector. These filters are specially made for the purpose, and are similar to those being shipped by some security camera companies for daylight viewing.

If all goes well, I should be able to sell these for just a few dollars each.

Please write me about your interest. If I get positive responses, I will go ahead and order them, and should have them in about a month.

Richard
Sounds interesting. I'd be willing to get a couple off of you.
HansAuf is online now Find More Posts by HansAuf
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:30 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Trader Rating: 42
I'd try one or two out depending on cost
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:35 PM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,101 Posts
Trader Rating: 80
IR filter

I'll try them. Let us know how much it would cost and how can I fit it to my gopro. Any pics of this?
actionplus is online now Find More Posts by actionplus
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:54 PM
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Jun 2006
61 Posts
Trader Rating: 5
me too

count me in for 1-2 depending on cost, been there done that import stuff, wire transfer and such best of luck
southern180 is offline Find More Posts by southern180
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:18 PM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Nov 2010
35 Posts
I don't have a good picture. I have a screen capture of the company's products. However, I don't think it would do you any good with the gopro. They already have a good IR filter in those cameras. These are more for the security cameras that don't include filters.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:52 PM
Quadtard
United States, CO, Gilcrest
Joined Feb 2009
807 Posts
Trader Rating: 15
Very interested - the GoPro IR cut filter is actually on the lens, unlike most of the cheap cameras where the filter is on the sensor.
This filter means you can use any of a number of very cheap lenses on the GoPro instead of the Sunex or the $$GoPro$$ replacement.
Breezemont is offline Find More Posts by Breezemont
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:02 PM
Preserve our right to FPV !!!!
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Dec 2010
910 Posts
Trader Rating: 142
Count me in for a couple!
melsailsnorth is online now Find More Posts by melsailsnorth
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:03 PM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Nov 2010
35 Posts
OK. That clears it up about the gopro filters. The ones I was going to order are square 9 or 10 mm. I don't know the size of the gopro sensor, and whether this would cover it. I suppose the filter could also be placed on the back of the lens and trimmed down with a grinder if necessary. One of my cameras had the filter placed that way.

So far there has been enough interest that I think I will go ahead with the order. I just didn't want to be stuck with a large number of these filters. Price should be $2-3 each plus a postage stamp for shipping if I got the figures right. I can't get a final cost until I actually order them.
Dick
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:10 PM
A Snickering Hound
United States, SC, Myrtle Beach
Joined Jan 2012
210 Posts
Trader Rating: 31
Also interested in a couple.

Bob
Muddie is offline Find More Posts by Muddie
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:08 PM
Quadtard
Joined Feb 2009
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbcodell View Post
I suppose the filter could also be placed on the back of the lens and trimmed down with a grinder if necessary. One of my cameras had the filter placed that way.
Can they make a round size that could be glued the back of the standard lens?
That would really make it versatile, and a whole lot less hassle.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:15 PM
Quadtard
Joined Feb 2009
807 Posts
Like this one:
http://www.optics-online.com/IRC.asp?PN=IRC21-8R
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:20 PM
Quadtard
Joined Feb 2009
807 Posts

On the left is a stock GoPro, you can see they use a reflective IR coating on the back lens. I think they want over $100 for it.
The other two lenses cost less than $10 each; the only thing missing is the IR cut filter.

edit: my hunch is that lens coating is a big part of the GoPro secret for vibrant colors.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:50 AM
Joined Aug 2011
4 Posts
Trader Rating: 5
Hey there, correction on the GoPro secret... the vibrant colors and crisp edges are the result of a well designed custom optic. The $10 Sunex cheapies just don't compare.

For comparable quality I recommend Edmund Optics "infinite conjugate" M12 lenses and have had good results also from Optitrack's M12 lenses. Unfortunately both are around $100.

The coating you see on the GoPro lens is probably what's known as a "broad spectrum" anti-reflective (A/R) coating which does a good job at letting light in at the specified field of view and rejects it outside. It's probably present on most or all of the optical surfaces in that lens. The surface of each optic will naturally reflect a small percentage of the light incident on it. That small amount of light will bounce around in the optic until it is let out where it wasn't intended to be, causing ghost images and washing out the colors. The A/R coatings keep the light traveling through the system by reducing that natural tendency to reflect incident light.

But I'm intrigued by this IR filter concept. I'd suggest you do a Kickstarter or IndieGoGo project and push it in the community here so you can get an initial order going. Collecting pledges off of a forum is a nightmare PM me for more info if you'd like some guidance.
joshhartung is offline Find More Posts by joshhartung
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:17 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Nov 2010
35 Posts
You can get the circular filters, but the square ones are much cheaper. I suppose you could grind or cut the square filters to a round shape with a little care. I will experiment with some of the old cover glasses I will remove from the sensors to see how difficult it would be to shape them. The filter I am ordering are 0.7 mm thick.