HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
Discussion
how much wing damage is too much damage ?? :-)

Just flew my Beast 3d for the first time (I've flown a 40 size trainer for a couple of years, so I'm not a complete noob, and spent some time on the sim first).

Nice take off, did some nice circuits around the park. 3 minutes into my 4 minute first flight I think I pulled up too sharp, not enough throttle, it dived to the ground from about 12 feet up I didn't recover in time and pranged it into the grass. One of the wings has split across it's width about 3/4 of the way, about half inch from the body. Is this repairable with some tape or would it not be strong enough? Time to replace the bottom wing?

Thanks!
khooke is offline Find More Posts by khooke
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:57 PM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
sorry i might be able to help if you've got a pic ?
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Trainer plane View Post
sorry i might be able to help if you've got a pic ?
Here you go - see the crack, well more of a rip, goes from one side to about half way across.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:28 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
i think i might be able to help. get some tooth pics about five and place them into one of the broken pieces of the wing. Then take the glue which you use for the foam that it's made out of and seal the two broken pieces together. Then take some see through packing tape and cover it over (it won't look too bad). try it you never know
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
ahah thanks, I didn't think about bracing it like that, I'll give it ago. Since I'm still flying circuits until I get used to how it feels, I don't expect I'll be putting much load on the wing. I'll order a replacement set anyway. I imagine a repair will give me a few more flights but if I ding it into the ground again then it will probably be worth replacing it completely.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:37 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Jan 2012
367 Posts
I have repaired my Beast 3D with similiar damage. I used glue and tape. It looks rough but still flies. Now that I can fly without crashing I have plans to replace the fuselage and the wing set so it will look good again!

And one other note from experience, carefully check your ailerons mount to the wing. Mine came loose after similiar crash to yours causing yet another bad crash
Lumpy05 is online now Find More Posts by Lumpy05
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khooke View Post
ahah thanks, I didn't think about bracing it like that, I'll give it ago. Since I'm still flying circuits until I get used to how it feels, I don't expect I'll be putting much load on the wing. I'll order a replacement set anyway. I imagine a repair will give me a few more flights but if I ding it into the ground again then it will probably be worth replacing it completely.
cool there's no harm in that.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Jan 2012
367 Posts
Just to give you an idea what I am flying with here are a couple of pictures of my Beastly Beast. Waiting for next big crash to replace fuse and wings, but have about 20 error free flights in a row so may have just bite the bullet.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
what a great looking plane. might have to get one myself. BTW who sells these beasts and do they have a bigger version ??
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Trainer plane View Post
what a great looking plane. might have to get one myself. BTW who sells these beasts and do they have a bigger version ??
I don't think they do a larger version, but heres a link (it's by e-flite/Horizon Hobby)
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ology-EFLU4850
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy05 View Post
Just to give you an idea what I am flying with here are a couple of pictures of my Beastly Beast. Waiting for next big crash to replace fuse and wings, but have about 20 error free flights in a row so may have just bite the bullet.
ok, not saying yours is in bad state , but that gives me some confidence that it's repairable
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:42 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
883 Posts
Quote:
Here you go - see the crack, well more of a rip, goes from one side to about half way across.
CA glue and tape will fix it. I put in a piece of 1.5mm carbon fibre across the leading edge of both wings on mine. Worked great for a long time. I just recently bought a new fuse, wing set and tail feathers to refurbish mine. All 4 wings had broken off at one time or another.
asosestrom is online now Find More Posts by asosestrom
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
it's a great looking plane but $139 is a bit steep for a plane that size. Maybe when winter comes I might get one for indoor flying
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Jan 2012
367 Posts
Quote:
ok, not saying yours is in bad state , but that gives me some confidence that it's repairable
Like I said Im ready to replace the wing and fuselage, but its still flys great!
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:38 AM
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
Ok, well it didn't turn out to be that bad. Glued along the split with foam safe CA, stuck it together, and then put packing tape over the top and bottom of the wing covering the join. Looks like it's now good as new.

Only trouble this side is now so reinforced with the packing tape that the undamaged wing on the other side is probably now a weak spot and will be the next to break if I hit the ground again :-)

All ready for my next flight :-) Thanks for all the advice!