SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 05, 2012, 11:47 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Aug 2011
190 Posts
Discussion
Watt Meter - Which Plugs For Motor Test Bed??

I need to set up a Motor test bed to sort out some props for several different motors.

The Watts Up watt meter comes with bare leads & needs to be inserted between batteries & ESC's that have a variety of plug systems, including
Mini-JST, JST, EC3 & XT60.

I am wondering what people who have faced this one before do as regards putting connector plugs on the watt meter?

Do you put 'something' in the way of a plug on to the watt meter wire then look for adapters to be able to connect to the various Battery & ESC plugs?

If so, what 'something' do you go with?

Thank you

G2
Gemini2 is offline Find More Posts by Gemini2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:10 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,222 Posts
I put the largest one on the Watt's Up (Dean's Ultras for me at the time) and then made short adapters from the Deans to the other smaller connectors.

I later used some PowerPole connectors and made Dean's to APP adapters but the APPs would have been first choice had I known I would be using them. The APPs don't handle a lot more current than the Dean's Ultra but are much easier to work with.

I also made up some short male to male and female to female to gender changers too so that I could use the meter between a charger and a battery where the battery becomes the load instead of the source.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:41 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,909 Posts
Like Jack, I've always put my "standard" connectors (XT60 these days) on Wattmeters and loggers then made up various type and gender changing adapters but what HobbyKing have done on their latest 7in1 meter struck me as clever.

They put all female large bullets (6mm from memory) in the meter both In and Out and supplied short leads with bare tinned ends to fit your connector of choice.

That way the meter connection is very low resistance and current capable and you only need one pair of leads for every connector you have since you can swap the leads over to change from charge to discharge testing.

Neat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
I put the largest one on the Watt's Up (Dean's Ultras for me at the time) and then made short adapters from the Deans to the other smaller connectors.

I later used some PowerPole connectors and made Dean's to APP adapters but the APPs would have been first choice had I known I would be using them. The APPs don't handle a lot more current than the Dean's Ultra but are much easier to work with.

I also made up some short male to male and female to female to gender changers too so that I could use the meter between a charger and a battery where the battery becomes the load instead of the source.

Jack
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604