HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:28 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Discussion
Pro Boat Stiletto 29 / Mystic 29 waterproofing

Hi.

I know someone who has a modified Stiletto 29 and it had a few problems..
Mainly it was prone to flipping over when corners where taken to sharply and when it did it wasn't waterproof in that there was water in the radio box and ESC etc.

My question is - the stock version of this boat - is it still prone to flipping more than say a Mystic 29?
What about water intake once it has flipped? is the battery box watertight?
Is the mystic 29 any better in this regard also?

I am trying to decide between getting a Stiletto or a Mystic and would appreciate some comments mainly on the waterproof aspects - not that I plan on flipping it - but if it happens I don't want a wet ESC that goes on fire (like the person I know).

Thanks for any info.
ScotBoat is offline Find More Posts by ScotBoat
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:11 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Dec 2011
118 Posts
Hi scot, I own a mystic and it has a tupperware type lid that goes over the top of the hull where the electronics are. Then there's the hatch that goes over that, I always put a piece of waterproof tape over the hull hatch before I run it. You can go to youtube and search, 'stilletto unboxing' and that should help you. Also the stiletto is harder to setup then the mystic. You can also trim the steering on the controller so it doesnt turn to hard an flip. Happy Boating..Oh, also check this out, how to waterproof receivers and servos. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1584854
proboatronnie is offline Find More Posts by proboatronnie
Last edited by proboatronnie; Jun 11, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:43 PM
Registered User
wparsons's Avatar
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
Outboard tunnels are harder to setup and drive than inboard cats, but can be more fun/rewarding in the end once you have them running right. They're also more sensitive to wind and chop.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2013, 01:20 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2013
31 Posts
I have a Mystic, and my friend has a stiletto. The stilletto flips, skips, and sometimes dives. Put your batteries forward on your Mystic and it runs great! The Mystic glues itself to the water on turns, and only flips at high speed straight runs.
tackthekak is offline Find More Posts by tackthekak
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:51 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2010
867 Posts
Cats are way more stable in the corners, WOT usually. F1 tunnels need to be "driven" thru the corners-- got to back off the throttle on entering, find the apex, then smooth accel to pull out... else barrel roll. Both are fun, depends on what kind of driving style you want.

Chief
BHChieftain is online now Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:54 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2010
867 Posts
Oh, on the waterproofing, both boats are designed to be water tight, so that really should not be decision factor. On any boat you'll need to track down what needs to be finally sealed up (bathtub tests). Even after taping sometimes there is a leak where the hardware goes thru the transom, or gaps where the stuffing tube meets the strut (in the cats). Once the leak is identified it is usually easy to fix.

Chief
BHChieftain is online now Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2014, 12:21 PM
Registered User
overthebars's Avatar
meridian, idaho
Joined Mar 2010
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
Oh, on the waterproofing, both boats are designed to be water tight, so that really should not be decision factor. On any boat you'll need to track down what needs to be finally sealed up (bathtub tests). Even after taping sometimes there is a leak where the hardware goes thru the transom, or gaps where the stuffing tube meets the strut (in the cats). Once the leak is identified it is usually easy to fix.

Chief
Are people really applying hatch tape in addition to the "tupperware lid" on the ProBoat models?

I actually chose ProBoat over Aquacraft because of that design.... I run several times a day with my boat and hatch tape is a pain in the a$$ when applying it over and over and over again. My ProBoat hardly has any water in it at the end of my runs, and I don't use hatch tape...

I'm hoping the BlackJack has the same level of water tightness as my Impulse, as that will be my next purchase. Any BlackJack owners care to chime in?

Thanks.
overthebars is offline Find More Posts by overthebars
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2014, 06:04 PM
RcBoater
Joined Feb 2014
251 Posts
water proofing

PITA- till you lose the hatch and boat sinks to the point where only the bow is showing. Now that is a sinking GUT feeling. Never use tape more than once. Now if you have deep pockets and care less, why post.
Dennis Manning is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Manning
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2014, 06:20 PM
Registered User
overthebars's Avatar
meridian, idaho
Joined Mar 2010
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Manning View Post
PITA- till you lose the hatch and boat sinks to the point where only the bow is showing. Now that is a sinking GUT feeling. Never use tape more than once. Now if you have deep pockets and care less, why post.
I got your point. I've never sunk mine, but it only does @ 30 MPH.
If everyone's recommendation on the faster boats is to use hatch tape, I'm willing to take the time. That actually opens up my options quite a bit on which boat to buy. I really want a Revolt 30, but it's getting hard to find since they've been discontinued...

Thanks
overthebars is offline Find More Posts by overthebars
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2014, 11:35 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2010
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overthebars View Post
Are people really applying hatch tape in addition to the "tupperware lid" on the ProBoat models?

I actually chose ProBoat over Aquacraft because of that design.... I run several times a day with my boat and hatch tape is a pain in the a$$ when applying it over and over and over again. My ProBoat hardly has any water in it at the end of my runs, and I don't use hatch tape...

I'm hoping the BlackJack has the same level of water tightness as my Impulse, as that will be my next purchase. Any BlackJack owners care to chime in?

Thanks.
Hi,
I also run the blackjack, yes it is the same tupperware design as the inpulse
However, I always use hatch tape on the canopy in addition to the tupperware lid. On a high speed crash, water pressure can rip off the canopy and that can also pull off the tupperware...

Tape=very cheap insurance

Chief
BHChieftain is online now Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Pro Boat Stiletto gatorhobbies Boats (FS/W) 7 May 29, 2012 10:13 AM
Sold For SALE/trade New/Modded Pro Boat Stiletto $300 Awall Boats (FS/W) 4 Feb 01, 2012 07:55 PM
Discussion Pro Boat MYSTIC 29 (racing, mods and customs)!!!!!!!!! Awall Racing Boats - Electric 32 Oct 30, 2011 11:31 AM
Help! Pro boat stiletto 29 cooling water pimbo Racing Boats - Electric 6 Oct 03, 2011 02:01 PM
Discussion Pro Boat Review - Mystic 29 Darin Jordan Racing Boats - Electric 2 Sep 26, 2011 03:32 PM