HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by bmiller, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:11 PM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Discussion
E-Flite Hawk

New fuselage for my Hawk!
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bmiller; Jun 05, 2012 at 01:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:43 AM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Rebuilt my E-flite hawk saturday night with a spare fuselage. The remains were parked in a corner nearly 1 year. It went in beginning the final turn and hit LVC. Too far away to hear it as its super quiet running so it was stalling out before I realized the throttle wasn't responding.
Took 1 hour to find it in some really thick brush behind a small hill. My legs were bleeding and all scratched up. That was some nasty brush! Fuse was shattered, lipo smashed, wings, electronics, servos, wemo fan and motor good so it only needed a fuse and canopy. No spare canopy so taped together a crashed one, good enough for now. I should order a new one before none are left. It'll be good to get it airborne again.
It was my favorite flyer, 4S 2650-3300 wemo minifan/megaEDF, plenty of power, pretty quick, very quiet running. It's got 3mm of reflex on a switch for landing. Previous to that it had to land at high speed or risk a fatal tipstall, also it could (and has) bunny hopped down the runway destroying the nose wheel mount/servo tray before flipping upside down and killing the canopy. The reflex tames the beast completely.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:17 AM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Remaidened today, Flight went well, retrimmed, battery needs cycling, power dropped off rather quickly, landed too fast, bouncy landing but didn't flip, tray broke free as usual.
Epoxied back on w/added support, should've done it prior to flight, the trays always pop off, the stock glue joint is garbage.
Also ordered a new canopy last night to make it perfect again.
Think I'll increase the reflex from 2mm to 3mm for landings to make it more effective,
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:59 PM
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Over 10 flights since last post, I installed a magnet on the new canopy making life easier to change batts. Flys great, 3mm reflex is working excellent. Everyone comments how fast this thing goes, I think its between 110-120mph. Seems faster than my Habu32 with its tired 6S 5000 pack anyway.
RCG Plus Member