Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:43 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Question
Body work on a foam plane

Body work on a foam plane.

I'm new to the board and I'm sure there is a thread on this. Can you direct me to it if I've again posted in the wrong place?

As a new flyer training himself (with the help of this board, a sim and Mr. Carpenters book).

My trainer is a 55" powered 'Sky Sufer', I've beaten the nose so for under that we all call it the eagle.

The point is with this plane I learned to fly. I have a romantic attachment to it I want to make it look again.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:25 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,483 Posts
Its not really in the Giant class , but for your answer , you can simply take the following actions
1)buy foam , carve what you need from any Hardware store and add pieces as needed .
2)you can try light weight filler, add , allow to dry , sand and paint
3)you can try light weight balsa , carve the bumpy parts out , add the balsa , sand to shape , cover with light weight film and paint ,
its all about what your comfortable with and your ability to sand and carve
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
I've had good luck using drywall spackle like automotive bondo as body filler...
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:07 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,435 Posts
The naked airframe "kit" version of the Sky Surfer/Bixler is available from Hobby King for around $32: Instant spare parts!
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd