SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 04, 2012, 07:24 PM
Stantheman
LaGrange, Ky.
Joined May 2004
431 Posts
Discussion
Has anyone recently purchased or flown the Hobby Lobby Miss 2 ?

This was recently re-released by Hobby Lobby and I was wondering about the quality and flight performance.
Stantheman is offline Find More Posts by Stantheman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:57 PM
Baboon McGoon
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Joined Jun 2002
678 Posts
I built a Super Miss 2 that I sold to a friend. It was really a nice ARF to put togther and a good flying airplane. However, on mine, the wingspar was weak and broke in half when my friend attempted a nice easy loop about a 100 feet up. This resulted in a total loss of the airframe and motor. So if you get one, do reinforce the wing center section with fiberglass tape and replace the wing spar with some stronger material with the grain running longitudinally so it doesn't split across the grain during positive Gs.
ClipperBill is offline Find More Posts by ClipperBill
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:26 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
They used to be made by a company called Scorpio (somewhere in Europe I think). The ones Hobby-Lobby sells now are made in China. Its seen some design changes over the years, elongated nose, several different firewall and motor mount configurations, landing gear mounting changes, steerable tail wheel. I like most of the design changes, but I was not too impressed with the draftsmanship on the latest Chinese one I built. The wing is the weakest part, and needs reinforcement to ensure no catastrophic failures in flight. For the price its not a bad airplane. The original Miss 2 cost around $120 if I remember correctly so $90 is a pretty decent deal.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:06 AM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,842 Posts
The "new" Miss 2 was reviewed here a few years ago. The example used in the review lacked a very visible rib in the horizontal stab.

My wife and I had one of the original Scorpio ARFs. I can say that it flew very well, and the extended nose of the newer version mirrors what we did with ours to cure a chronic tail-heavy tendency. Of course, the original was powered by a geared Speed 400 on NiCads, so lengthening the nose and moving gear forwards did work well.

The Miss 2 and the Super Miss 2 are very different models, so be careful which one you're talking about. The Miss 2 will loop, but that's about it. Spins, rolls, etc., are not in its repertoire. It's great for lazy thermalling, training, and relaxed fun-flying, though.

CD
Captain Dunsel is online now Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel