|Jun 04, 2012, 07:39 PM|
TT China Team Build & Mods
I just finished building a TT China Team boat, here is a discourse on the mods that I did for anyone else thinking about building one of these boats. I read over all the previous posts several times for ideas about problems and solutions others have incorporated into their boats. I haven't sailed it yet, so comments on how it sails will be reserved for a later post. I'm a caregiver for my wife who has Alzheimer's so it is hard for me to get out to sail the boat.
The first thing I did was strengthen the mounting points for the stays, I cut pieces of 1/4" plywood and glued them to the underside of the deck and then used 2x12 mm wood screws to attach the hardware. I replaced the standard hardware with Seawind hardware. (See pictures.)
I wanted to improve on the water tight integrity where the rudder linkage comes through the hull so I glued a piece of bicycle tube over the hole in the hull and pierced it to run the linkage through the rubber. I had to replace the linkage that came with the boat, because it wasn't long enough since I moved the servo platform forward. I will be adding the cover over the rudder shaft after I test out this modification.
I modified the jib halyard to give me more room for adjustment so I could vary the mast fore and aft angle through a wider range. I'll finish the disscussion of the changes I made to the servo tray my next post.
|Jun 04, 2012, 07:52 PM|
I decided to use an arm servo setup so I did some modifications to the servo mounting platform. I wanted to make it removable so I could get back into the interior of the boat if I had to in the future. I also need to move it forward to get it to the widest part of the hull so I could make the servo arm long enough to fully move the sails. I also wanted to be able to adjust the sheets so I brought the sheets back to the servo platform and added cleats to tie them off on. I offset it sightly to the starboard to allow me to make the main sheet arm longer. I'm using a double haul on both the sheets to get the needed movement.
|Aug 31, 2012, 07:37 PM|
Finally got in the water!
After a failed attempt a couple of weeks ago (battery was flat) I finally got a chance to put the boat in the water yesterday and I was very happy with the way it sailed. It was pretty windy with some strong gusts. I can't begin to guess the wind strength, I used to live in Laramie Wyoming where we had two wind strengths, either standing up straight or laying flat on your back or face.
All the modification held up except for the rear mounting of the servo tray, which broke when I was transporting the boat in the back of my truck. It was a glued joint that didn't hold so I put screws in it to fix it today. I still sailed the boat with the broken mounting without any problems from the servo tray moving around.
I installed all the deck gear that came with the kit except for the single grinder back by where the mainsail sheet exits the hull and didn't have any hangups of the sheets. I was afraid that the rear most winches might catch the sheets, but it didn't happen. It will be interesting to see if there will be any problems in lighter winds. I didn't have anything to directly compare with, but it seemed to be quite fast. I had it heeled over far enough to drag the main boom and the mainsail in the water a couple of times. I also was able to get it to wing-and-wing downwind and it was very easy to hold it there.
The boat didn't get any water in it. I discussed what I did with the rudder in a previous post and I used silicon grease around the hatch seal before I installed the hatch.
There is a group that sails Solings on this pond several mornings every week and I've watched them when I take my wife and dog on their daily walk. I'm guessing that it is as fast as or faster than the Solings, I don't know if it can keep up with the ODOM's that a couple of people sail though.
Sorry I don't have any pictures, I was by myself and I had my hands full with the wind.
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Sold||MGT 8.0 Flag addition w/modded pro.28(team associated)||53"SuperGator||Cars - Cars and Parts (FS/W)||4||May 19, 2012 12:37 AM|
|Alert||Taxpayers took a bath so Obam could build cadillacs in China!||P-51C||Life, The Universe, and Politics||29||Apr 27, 2012 05:14 PM|
|Discussion||CX450Pro TT Build||aussiefly||Electric Heli Talk||0||Apr 21, 2012 03:17 PM|
|Build Log||Some Thunder Tiger Voyager/China Team/ETNZ Questions||barmonkey||Sailboats||57||Mar 17, 2012 02:23 PM|
|Link||Trex 450 Pro TT Clone - $54.50 Direct from China Manufacturer||Piper J3||Mini Helis||6||May 31, 2011 11:39 PM|