HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Dec 2009
126 Posts
Discussion
About to put ailerons on my radian. What do I need? (Servos, etc)

Like the title says I'm about to put ailerons on. Could you guys please help me with the parts lists as for as servos, wires, horns, rods, etc. This is foreign territory for me.
qwerty11 is offline Find More Posts by qwerty11
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:53 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,377 Posts
i just put ailerons on my cub last week. i used: servos, pushrods, horns, y-harness, wires, exacto knife (#11 blade), tape (which i also used as hinge), ruler, wire cutters, pliers. take your time with measuring and cutting.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:08 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
Will the rcvr allow you to add another servo? You may not have an open channel. If not, you will also need a new rcvr.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Dec 2009
126 Posts
Ive got an orange six channel with aux. Which servos, pushrods, horns, and y harness do you recommend?
qwerty11 is offline Find More Posts by qwerty11
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:36 AM
London UK
Joined Jul 2004
2,530 Posts
Why? the plane is designed for rudder only. Its especially designed to thermal really well which the rudder and wing shape helps it to do. With that dihedral built into the shape of the wings it is not going to like ailerons. And you simply end up making it heavier which makes it less able to thermal in light conditions which it is superb at.
Threshold is offline Find More Posts by Threshold
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:26 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
Why? the plane is designed for rudder only. Its especially designed to thermal really well which the rudder and wing shape helps it to do. With that dihedral built into the shape of the wings it is not going to like ailerons. And you simply end up making it heavier which makes it less able to thermal in light conditions which it is superb at.
Ditto to Threshold. This plane flies amazingly the way it was designed. It won't fly any better with ailerons and you'll be adding weight.

Why do you want to add ailerons to a plane that already can do rolling circles without them?
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:11 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,084 Posts
If the Radian had straight wings, ailerons will be useful. But with the bend wings, it don't need ailerons. But if you want you can make air brakes. Take a look at the big Radian thread in Electric Gliders Topic.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:36 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
The Radian pro has the same design but with ailerons. The wing airfoil and dihedral can handle ailerons.

Radian Pro

EDIT:

I take that back, but I'm leaving my original statement.

The radian does have way more flex in it's design. I wouldn't do an aileron mod on it.

Ask Radian owners if the Pro wing will mate with the Radian. If so buy a Radian Pro replacement wing and mount it on your plane.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Jun 05, 2012, 09:25 AM
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,865 Posts
For what its worth don't. I fly both quite a lot and the Radion is a much better thermal ship than the Radion Pro. On several occasions I have had the ailerons lock up while in a nose down attitude due to wing flex. Once causing me to roll into the ground. Cost me a new fuselage. I went back and did the same thing at altitude and danged if it did not do it again. Pulled throttle and brought the nose up and all was well. Got to looking and the flaps and ailerons would touch under g load. Other than the lighter motor on the Radion which is still plenty good for normal flight I prefer that over my Pro. On the Radion Pro I do like the flaps and I use a Go Pro camera mounted under one wing and the ailerons allow me to easily adjust the trim due to the camera mounted off the center line. It is your choice but I've been at this game for over 50 years and been there and done it many times. Follow the "KISS" principle and all will work out. KISS = Keep it simple stupid. ed
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:19 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
The Radian pro has the same design but with ailerons. The wing airfoil and dihedral can handle ailerons.

Radian Pro

EDIT:

I take that back, but I'm leaving my original statement.

The radian does have way more flex in it's design. I wouldn't do an aileron mod on it.

Ask Radian owners if the Pro wing will mate with the Radian. If so buy a Radian Pro replacement wing and mount it on your plane.
The Radian Pro has a very different wing. It is a poor flyer in my opinion while the Radian is quite easy to fly. Mountiong it to the plane isn't easy either. The Pro wings attach with screws while the radian wings are held in place by friction. That's another reason not to put ailerons on it.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:24 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Yeah I saw that looking closely at the pics about the wing shape, that's why I edited the post. I figured I'd leave it in case anyone else was thinking the same thing.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker