HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:20 AM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,229 Posts
I called Aeromicro, the guy at my LHS told me that to him it seems that the FMS ESC that I am using possesses a current limit capability. This hypothesis actually lines up with my observations... and here is why. I did mention here on this thread that all my other FMS mini warbirds with the same motor has no problem generating full power...only difference is the FMS 2 and 3 blade props are no as big and I think no as pitchy as the Top RC 3 blade Hurricane which was originally designed for 2s power to compensate. Perhaps there is some differential threshold between the Top RC and FMS 2 and 3 blade props when drawing full power....

So with the bigger and pitchier top rc prop on a 45C to 90C....as acting power supply the capability of sourcing at best 90C burst current .... min current = 45 * 850mah = 38.25A
max current(burst) = 90* 850mah = 76.5A

This means we have a window with a minimum current of 38.25Amps and a maximum burst of 76.5Amps...which is completely out of range of the given 35Amp Esc

which also then correlates with the known working 25C to 50C 850mah 3s which gives a minimum window of 21.25Amps and a maximum(burst) of 42.5Amps

So with the above given calculation...how do we explain the 3s 45C to 90C 850mah sag down to 10 amps at WOT??? giving only 80 to 100 watts give or take?

The answer is quite simple the min and max window for the high discharge rate is completely out of range of the ESC rating...even at WOT assuming that the ESC can hold 45 amps for 10seconds grace period...which I think is accurate for the FMS and hobbyking blue series escs...which all use the same programming algorithmic procedures.

Lesson learned... now I am going to buy a 25C battery....maybe even a 20C.....

Thinking back this is why some of the manufacturers specify what discharge ratings to use for an ARF kit...to ensure proper performance of the model given an ARF setup.

tengarang
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:43 AM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,229 Posts
this is the current feedback I got...now I am compelled to make a video to help illustrate what I am seeing

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post23725932
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:02 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,413 Posts
I am going to re-motor mine. It sounds like it has gravel in the stock motor. ------Metalguy
metalguy is online now Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:51 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,413 Posts
Flew it with the 1100kvh motor, and it seems to have ample power, just was a bit tail-heavy. ------Metalguy
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:08 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,764 Posts
This unit should sort out your tail heavy issueshttp://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23521__NTM_Prop_Drive_50_60_Series_380KV_2665W.h tml Might be a squeeze to fit in the recommended 6s pack though
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:58 PM
Joined Oct 2012
110 Posts
I do not know where you got yours, or what motor and ESC are in it, but we have these in stock, and I have flown it with the stock motor and ESC, with an Eflight 1000mah 2s battery, with no problem at all. Very fast, plenty of power. I added two 1/4 ounce lead pieces in front of the battery to get the correct balance. We have them in stock, for $95, and guarantee you will not have to modify the plane in any way to get it to fly right. We don't have a lot of them in stock, but if it sells well, we will get more. New and improved website is www.applehobby.com.
applehobby is offline Find More Posts by applehobby
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:08 PM
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
Hurricane pilots,
I recently received the Airfield re-branded version of the Top RC Hurri'. Great little plane but the instruction sheet is worthless and I would like your recommendations.
My questions are:
1) Is the stated CG of 45-50mm from the leading edge correct?
2) With the small stock bay, where are you putting in the battery, ESC & receiver? Battery all the way to the front of the nose, ESC on the tray under the hatch, receiver under the hatch tray? Placing the receiver has me a bit baffled.
I really want to keep her stock, at least at this time.
I thought I would ask those with flight time for your recommendations.
Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
808aerosquadron is offline Find More Posts by 808aerosquadron
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:55 AM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,413 Posts
The reasons I re-motored mine were the fact that the stock motor sounded like it had gravel in it, and the shaft was bent. I really do not like this style of bell motor, as the shafts are SO flimsy. They give plenty of power, they just aren't very durable. In this model, the weight of them helps with CG, also. -------Metalguy
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:29 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,764 Posts
on mine, I had the esc in the nose, the 2S pack in the centre of the battery bay and the RX behind it. I had to do a bit of carving to get all the electronics to fit. No where near the space afforded by the series of Skyangel/HK Fun Fighters. Shame they don't make a Hurri version.
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:38 PM
Joined Oct 2012
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
on mine, I had the esc in the nose, the 2S pack in the centre of the battery bay and the RX behind it. I had to do a bit of carving to get all the electronics to fit. No where near the space afforded by the series of Skyangel/HK Fun Fighters. Shame they don't make a Hurri version.
Andy
I put the ESC down the hole in the battery tray, the battery all the way forward, and the receiver behind it by the servos. Eflight 2s 1000mah fits perfectly, flight times are very long.
Sorry you got a bad motor, metalguy, whoever sold that to you should have replaced it.
I have only flown one of ours, and sold only a few, but there have been no complaints about motors from ours yet.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:12 AM
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
All, thank you for the input. I sincerely appreciate your comments.
808aerosquadron is offline Find More Posts by 808aerosquadron
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:46 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,413 Posts
My motor had issues with me hitting things, like the ground with it! Nothing to do with its original operation. MY fault. I just wished the motor in it had a larger shaft, with a collet adapter, as the threaded shaft motors will bend the shaft on the lightest of prop strikes...-------Metalguy
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:18 PM
Joined Oct 2012
110 Posts
I get it. So far, no problem with my motor, but no prop strikes either.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:39 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,413 Posts
Yah, I hit a goal post once, too.-------Metalguy
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:32 AM
You haz hurricane?
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Jun 2012
1,235 Posts
I have been keeping my eye on the blue and green variant. Anyone know a distributor that sells this variant for a good price?

Coot
Coot83 is offline Find More Posts by Coot83