HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:08 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
tengarang's Avatar
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,583 Posts
Guys I have found an interesting discovery. WIth a 2138 1550KV motor from hobbyking ....equipped with 35amp esc. Only the turnigy nano 850mah 25C to 50C generates the initial 260 watts with stock prop. The 45C to 90C 3s only levels out at 10!!!!! amps...

WIerd

Batteries are starting to scare me
tengarang is online now Find More Posts by tengarang
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:12 PM View Post
spumoni
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:07 AM
Reap the wild wind
headlessagain's Avatar
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
That is rather odd. Is it just one 45-90 c or have your tried another one? Have you put the pack on a meter to see if an individual cell has died or badly out of balance?
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:36 AM
Fly Straight Fly High
tengarang's Avatar
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
That is rather odd. Is it just one 45-90 c or have your tried another one? Have you put the pack on a meter to see if an individual cell has died or badly out of balance?
Andy

I have 4 packs of the 45C-90C and the behavior of ~10A level out is very repeatable...

I did not check the charge on the packs...have been busy traveling and havent flown for over a month! Ill charge and balance the packs and see what I get.
tengarang is online now Find More Posts by tengarang
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:37 PM
always something to learn...
metalguy's Avatar
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,771 Posts
Haven't flown for a month???? How do you sleep at night??? I flew mine again today, and plan on getting another one to install all mods in immediately. I will go for servos at the largest 5 gram, and probably go for 3.7 gram for the ailerons. This should lighten up things quite a bit, and will definately help it out, as it is pretty porky. I am currently making a hub to bolt the stock blades on for mine, as the hub seems to be the only part that breaks, and you end up buying another $4.50 prop for about every flight, or going to a 8-6 APC which works very well. I may also put a non bell type motor in this, as the shaft is very easily bent, and can't be replaced. A heavier motor would make it so the weights can be removed up front, too. ----Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:44 AM
Fly Straight Fly High
tengarang's Avatar
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
Haven't flown for a month???? How do you sleep at night??? I flew mine again today, and plan on getting another one to install all mods in immediately. I will go for servos at the largest 5 gram, and probably go for 3.7 gram for the ailerons. This should lighten up things quite a bit, and will definately help it out, as it is pretty porky. I am currently making a hub to bolt the stock blades on for mine, as the hub seems to be the only part that breaks, and you end up buying another $4.50 prop for about every flight, or going to a 8-6 APC which works very well. I may also put a non bell type motor in this, as the shaft is very easily bent, and can't be replaced. A heavier motor would make it so the weights can be removed up front, too. ----Metalguy

I am beyond the point of not being able to sleep...now I worry about my abilities being grounded for so long. Sounds like you have some very extensive mods ahead of you...
tengarang is online now Find More Posts by tengarang
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:19 PM
always something to learn...
metalguy's Avatar
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,771 Posts
I always do.... I have been working on my micro Stuka too, and it was SO heavy in stock form, many weight-saving measures had to be incorporated. I did fly my Hurri today, and with my mods so far it is a great flier. -------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:01 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
tengarang's Avatar
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengarang View Post
I have 4 packs of the 45C-90C and the behavior of ~10A level out is very repeatable...

I did not check the charge on the packs...have been busy traveling and havent flown for over a month! Ill charge and balance the packs and see what I get.
This is REALLLLY confusing me

so! my research still stands and its frustrating the 3s 25C-50C 850mah will draw 224watts on he 3128 1550KV motor.

the 45C to 90C 850mah 3s will level out to only 90 watts...all my batteries tested.

including some 2200mah 3s with unknown discharge ranges.

NOW here is the kicker.

I used a 850man 45C 4s....and I only got 150 watts at 14amps....

did something happen to all my batteries except for that one special pack?
tengarang is online now Find More Posts by tengarang
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:07 AM
Fly Straight Fly High
tengarang's Avatar
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,583 Posts
Now I found a 3s 2200mah thats a 35C discharge which draws 28 amps at 260 watts....

this leads me to think all my packs execpt for are few are bad? But how do I explain my other setups with similar FMS mini models that never saw this problem....

the esc I am using is 35 amp unknown brand.... which obeys the programming tunes of the FMS/Airfield brand....

switching frequency set to 16 Khz was 8khz
timing = high.... was auto
cutoff voltage = low

governor off....

did the esc throttle stick calibration....

still this doesnt explain why the higher discharge batts under perform all but two of my packs...and only on this hurricane setup....ESC? i dont know
tengarang is online now Find More Posts by tengarang
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:49 AM
Reap the wild wind
headlessagain's Avatar
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
It is indeed a mystery. The sort of conundrum that causes you to doubt your sanity. Might be that those clever folks over on the power systems forums have an explanation for you. Got to be worth a post http://www.rcgroups.com/power-systems-13/
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:04 AM
Fly Straight Fly High
tengarang's Avatar
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,583 Posts
ill check those threads thanks andy
tengarang is online now Find More Posts by tengarang
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:31 AM
Registered User
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,935 Posts
Beware if its cold outside your lipos wont work well, Warm them up alittle
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:07 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
tengarang's Avatar
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
Beware if its cold outside your lipos wont work well, Warm them up alittle
thanks

my experiment was conducted under room temperature environment in my basement on the first floor of my house.

im not sure if the charge rating has anything to do with it.

the two packs 25C-50C 850mah with a 5C charge rate gives me good numbers

the other 2200mah 3s has a 8C charge rate

all the other underperformers i mentioned has a charge rate of 10C
tengarang is online now Find More Posts by tengarang
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:32 PM
Registered User
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,935 Posts
Nitroplanes sells a 750mm Hurricane now
http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a359-80...-camo-arf.html
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:24 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
tengarang's Avatar
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
Nitroplanes sells a 750mm Hurricane now
http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a359-80...-camo-arf.html
It looks like the Top RC model. Wearing an airfield Badge.
tengarang is online now Find More Posts by tengarang
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product 700mm WS Hawker Hurricane anj4de Electric Warbirds 17 Aug 23, 2012 03:45 PM
Sold Eflite Hawker Hurricane 25e Retracts!! BNF Deal!! $200.00 LPU drewpert15 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 13 May 26, 2012 05:52 PM
Build Log 45" Hawker Hurricane playaviation Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 38 May 06, 2012 10:42 AM
Discussion Mick Reeves Hawker Hurricane 1/6 scale Kit -Exlex- Fuel Warbirds 5 Mar 25, 2012 06:55 PM
Sold E-flite hawker hurricane 25e bnf hi2nr Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Mar 06, 2012 08:21 AM