HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:35 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
I did notice the landing gear are poorly glued in, as on a smooooooth landing on grass, one came out! Metalguy
I'm a bit confused as the landing gear on my Top RC Hurri just slots in and is retained by a screw (like ones supplied with servos)
I agree that this model looks fantastic both on the ground and in the air. I'm getting 5min airtime on a 800 mAh 2S pack
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:03 AM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
The plastic inserts the gear slots into tend to be poorly glued to the foam wing. Have had the same problem on 6-7 800mm FMS planes and one Art-Tech...
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:26 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,920 Posts
Thanks for the heads up fellas. I'll give them a tug to see how secure mine are.
Here's a couple of picts of my 800 2S lipo in situ. I hinged the cover with blenderm tape which is almost invisible and sticks really well

Andy
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:02 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,675 Posts
I glued in the gear and she's ready to go again. TopR/C makes a Corsair this size, anyone have one? --------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:22 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
1,863 Posts
How bout 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
I glued in the gear and she's ready to go again. TopR/C makes a Corsair this size, anyone have one? --------Metalguy
Here are some pics of the Corsairs... They fly well.. Tricky at first though .. Seemingly.. They like a little wind...Name: Chris visit 274.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 208.0 KB
Description:

Name: Chris visit 528.jpg
Views: 44
Size: 300.7 KB
Description: Name: Chris visit 522.jpg
Views: 40
Size: 255.4 KB
Description: Name: Chris visit 524.jpg
Views: 44
Size: 197.7 KB
Description: Name: Chris visit 529.jpg
Views: 43
Size: 284.3 KB
Description:
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Updating Hangar (a little)
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:36 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,675 Posts
They look nice, too.-----Metalguy
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:19 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,505 Posts
well I had a very uneventful incidence on Saturday, I crashed the Hurricane...got too cocky and she tip stalled and spiraled to the ground ...... SO! before she had any battle scars on her, I felt reluctant to alter her body to conform to 3s, this is no longer the case.

Result of the crash...the nose section all the way to the reciever bay area was broken clean off....nothing like some medium CA wouldnt cure...but then I asked myself, what if I removed the wooden tray ...this would buy me alot of vertical re-estate to fit a bigger esc and 3s lipo 850mah.

Had a spare prop and spinner and a 20AMP airfield ESC and went at it...all together now...will anticipate some nose up correction on the trim to level her out....but surely it will perform....

Story of complication does not end here....now we all think the TOP RC 1300KV motor stock is identical to that of the FMS....At least I thought it was....and why I say this??

well after all the glue set and dried, I riged up a watt meter and tried to pull some amperage at wot....the current draw was in the area of 15.5AMPS wot....so far so good, but it would level out to less than 7AMPS!!! at only a whopping 80Watts!! i thought this was a battery problem, but i tried some of my newer packs..same behavior.....I played with the esc switching frequency 8khz 16khz, also the timing, auto lo and high, low lipo cutt off...you name it,,,,, still the same.

No This leads me to think that there is some sort of Current limitation on the motor itself...like a self feedback mechanism to the esc where if the current exceeds a maximum rated amperage, then dont allow more current to go forward....

Consequently i have ordered from Hobbyking a 3128 1550KV bell motor with same dimensions...maybe aliitle beefier due to the higher wattage and KV length wise of the can....

I figure with higher KV....ill be able to keep my draw in the 15amp neighborhood or more hopefully close to 18amps and stay there.....

if you guys have experienced something like this please chime in...

on and one thing, if I unplug the battery for every insertion of try, I get that 2 seconds of 15amp draw before it levels off to nothing....sounds like the motor is only designed for 2s only.
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:21 AM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,675 Posts
I broke my second stock prop today, concluding that I will not be using these for flight any longer, and will use the APC 8-6. They just do not seem to be developing the thrust the APC does. This one flies much better with it.-----Metalguy
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:09 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,675 Posts
Had a rather embarassing crash today. I tossed the plane, and my neck strap was tangled in the controls, keeping me from turning. It crashed on its left side, tearing the motor out, and breaking the prop. It sucks too, as I had just had a great flight just prior. I did, however, discover the two huge weights in the nose of the model, and they have me thinking I am going to remove them, and utilize larger batteries now. I have some 1.7mAh 2s batteries... I may be able to get some really long flights out of this! -----Metalguy
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:17 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,675 Posts
I guess my Hurri had a bad weekend. I did indeed remove the weights, and reorganised the interior of the plane. I took the case of the RX, and moved it above the wing, and removed entirely the rudder servo, tailwheel, and associated hardware. I put the ESC below the battery bay in front and below the plywood. I also fly without the undercarriage, so those were off. I repaired yesterday's damage, and took her out to fly today. I installed the 1700mAh 2s battery, and she flew every bit as good as before. Only problem: I mis-judged, and hit a goal post dead-on, destroying the front of the plane. And the battery. And the motor. What a bummer! Well, I may buy another, or not...I have my eye on the 1000MM hurricane Hobby King came out with. I think its an art-tech model. Its got weights, too......-------Metalguy
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:15 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,920 Posts
Sorry to read of another crash. If it's any consolation, I crashed my Radius & HK Parkjet today and my mate destroyed the front of his EDF Mirage (maiden flight). A newbie also crashed the Wot-Next that I built for him and my old beat up EPP Bendy Sport was well and truly lawn darted by his son. It's now been laid to rest as even EPP can't take that much cumulative abuse (wing torn almost in half, servos mounting area torn away and the fuse nearly broken all the way through in two places)
I'm glad I didn't risk the Hurri as the field had lots of grass tuft just waiting to spin a model around and rip a wing off if you came in too hot.
Andy
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:40 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,675 Posts
I have looked at it again, and it can be fixed. It will not be pretty, but will still fly well. And with a 1700mAh, I will be able to fly it for quite a while, too. I may just have to order another, as this flies really well.-------Metalguy
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:52 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,675 Posts
Fixed. I found out that a 1000 mAh will balance it out, as well, so it will be lighter than stock. It already flew well, now it may just fly even better!------Metalguy
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:33 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,675 Posts
Upon further flights, and consideration...leave the weights in, and use "normal" sized batts. Flies better IMO.------Metalguy
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:11 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Aug 2011
158 Posts
Top RC Super Scale EPO Mini Hurricane V2 Brown Camo PNP Version

This product was added to our catalog on Wednesday 21 November, 2012.

THE V2 Version Is With Bigger Battery Room For 3S Battery & With Upgrade 20A ESC !

Battery: Li-Po 7.4 - 11.1v 850 - 1200mAh

http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2883
chops3 is offline Find More Posts by chops3
Last edited by chops3; Nov 26, 2012 at 06:42 PM.