HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:46 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,840 Posts
Wild Ass Guess. Military jargon for an estimated time in completion, or any ETIC. Sorry. ------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:27 AM
You haz hurricane?
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Jun 2012
1,240 Posts
Thats a funny acronym...

Coot
Coot83 is offline Find More Posts by Coot83
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:24 AM
You haz hurricane?
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Jun 2012
1,240 Posts
Hey I noticed that Rc castle sells the new version 2. Does anyone have the version 2 of this plane? I know the airfield branded one is also a version 2 with a 20 amp esc and supposedly more room available for a bigger battery. They advertise that you can go 2-3s, but was curious if that is true or not.

Coot
Coot83 is offline Find More Posts by Coot83
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:54 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,840 Posts
If anyone is interested in a kit in the US, Nitroplanes sells the Brown/Green version for $45. Not too bad.------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:37 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,880 Posts
KaiWE,

I just ordered one of these nice looking little models last night...do you have any tips for success on the maiden? Or perhaps, just some overall flight impressions? I plan on flying her scale; that's how I prefer to fly my models, and your videos seem to show that the model will fly very well for a smaller plane.

Thanks for your input,
John
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:00 AM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Well, flying scale was what was doing it for me

I let it lift the tailwheel and build up speed so that take-off is done with minimum up elevator.
Landing it by using the throttle to control the rate of decent, and the elevator to control the speed/AoA.

The landings in the video was a bit hot - it was the maiden after all, and I was not familiar with the stall speed/characteristics - but I still prefer to bring her in with some power applied...

But she is a quite forgiving bird, have not had her bite me yet - I just make sure I have a minimum of speed to keep the wing flying at all times
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:50 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,880 Posts
Sounds like we have very similar flying styles....If I'm flying a model of a Hurricane, I want it to look like a Hurricane

I've ordered some of these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

and

and finally,

I usually like to have various C ratings available depending on how I feel like flying, although I suspect she'll respond favorably to the higher C ratings based on your postings. Does the model come with a JST connector on the ESC? Also, what kind of flight times are you getting from the average 800 mAh battery?

Thanks again for the help,
John
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:36 PM
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Yes, it comes with a JST connector on the ESC.
I have set my timer to 6 min, flying "dogfight"-style (split-S'es, victory rolls etc), I seem to end up at about 3,7V at each cell...

I like the 850 NanoTech very much. I have a lot of them (use them in 5-6 different planes and a multicopter), and it is very practical with the 5C charging capability!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:28 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,880 Posts
That's great to hear K,

Again, sounds like we have a very similar flying style...I really like doing nice slow, scale victory rolls, loops, half Cuban-eights and my favorite, the reverse half Cuban-eight I prefer to do scale t/o and landings as well, so I'll be keeping the speed up a little on landing like you until I get used to it...BTW, very nice scale t/o in your video.

I'm really looking forward to getting this little gem; I bought three each of the aforementioned batteries...I hope that's enough !

I also picked up a Beech T-34C Turbo Mentor (in the red/white scheme) at the same time, so I'll be maidening them both this weekend....weather permitting. The only bad weather we get out here in the desert is wind, and right now it's blowing 15 mph with gusts to 25...

Will post pics when she's built.

Cheers my friend,
John
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:29 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,880 Posts
Found this pic on Wikipedia with the following caption:

Hurricane Mk1, RAF serial R4118, squadron code UP-W, UK civil registration G-HUPW, at the Royal International Air Tattoo, Fairford, Gloucestershire, England.

The aircraft was delivered new to 605 (County of Warwick) Squadron in August 1940. It flew 49 combat sorties from Croydon, England, destroying 3 enemy aircraft and damaging 2 others. Still painted in its original markings, R4118 is the only Hurricane from the Battle of Britain still flying.

So, although definitely not a Hurribomber, our little plane is modelled after a fairly significant piece of flying history...and judging from the looks of mine (I got it yesterday!), they really did a great job on the overall scale appearance of the model
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:06 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,157 Posts
The scale details is what really impressed me when it arrived. Also fly's very well as well
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:37 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,880 Posts
It's quite a commentary that this little model already impresses me far more than the absolutely horrible 1100mm Hobby King Hurricane....what a waste of money that one turned out to be
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:24 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,157 Posts
If you like the larger size then you should have gone for the Windrider 48 inch EPO Hurricane MkII http://www.windrider.com.hk/product.asp?page=2&id=164
There's an active thread and some lovely finished models here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1499408. Here she is in action beating up the patch. Great video and nice atmospheric music
Windrider Hawker Hurricane Mk2 - second maiden (2 min 18 sec)

Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:58 AM
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
I'm such a Hurricane nut that I have all three mentioned

Have not built the windrider yet - I'm aiming for a reasonable good scale representation of FN-D/BD743 "Odin" from 331. (Norwegian) Sqn. :

Old Mar 09, 2013, 05:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Here's mine with a 2 blade 8x6 and alloy spinner. Flew with 2s 800 pack and managed to ROG. A bit gusty and 15 mph winds but coped well
Andy
Headlessagain -

What size spinner did you use for your replacement? I snapped a prop blade and damaged the spinner package in an unfortunate incident with gravity, and am thinking about switching to a 2-blade propeller.

Thanks,

808aerosquadron
808aerosquadron is offline Find More Posts by 808aerosquadron