HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by michaelghammer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 05:03 AM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
559 Posts
Build Log
Mig-9

Hi all

I just wanted to show you what happend to my Mig-9 model which I initially built for the Scale Build Off II. The original build thread can be found here

The model never really flew as planned. Bad duct design made it underpowered and on top of that the fuselage wasnīt built completely straight. So the model was quickly put aside and forgotten... Well not entirely forgotten. This winter I decided to repair the damages (built new depron wings) and finished the model as a static decorations for my sons room.

The silver paint (spray can) almost killed the model one more time!!! Even though the plane had been prepared with several coats of primer, the silver paint cracked like dried mud as soon as it started to dry!!! And at the wings the silver paint attacked the depron foam even though I had secured it with several coats of WPU and primer. It was VERY frustrating to watch the silver paint wreck havoc on the plane...

I almost threw the model in the bin, but decided to wait for the paint to dry and then check the damage. With a bit of sanding and another coat of paint things started to look better, but still a long way from what I had hoped for. But my wife convinced me that no one would care, especially not my 3 year old son. So I added canopy framing, some red trim color and some markings.

In the end it turned out better than I had feared. The plane is connected to a door which makes it change flight altitude depending on the position of the door. So the Mig-9 flies a little bit every time someone enters the room through that door.

Personally I enjoy looking at the lines of the Mig-9 and plan on making a bigger version with my new CNC Foam cutter and DevFusFoam + Profili 2 Pro software. I just need a house and a workshop. But thatīs a completely different build project...

Cheers

- Michael Hammer
michaelghammer is offline Find More Posts by michaelghammer
Last edited by michaelghammer; Jul 26, 2012 at 07:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2012, 05:30 AM
Nick
United States, AL, Hoover
Joined May 2012
175 Posts
NIce
Nicksbbq is offline Find More Posts by Nicksbbq
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:59 AM
Olathe, KS
Joined Aug 2007
342 Posts