Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:49 PM
United States, CA, Santa Maria
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
hi Heggen, i will up load some pics tonight, and let you see the incidences of both the stab, and main wing. as for the wing, i suggest the washout because the flat wing will stall all at once, and flip over and spin, this is how mine crashed, i always knew that when she would stall, it would snap roll onto her back and go into a spin (not a problem if she was high enough), putting in washout would stall the center of the wing first. now with the vortex generators, the tips stall last, and no longer tip stalls. Any way, the Waco is 1/4 scale, and the span is 90 inches, and should weigh in around 25 to 30 lbs.
bandit357 is offline Find More Posts by bandit357
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:15 AM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
thanks heggen

as for the stab incidence here are some pics, with the radio ON, so you can see the trim for level flight, also, i highly suggest the washout in the wings to prevent tip stalls and unexpected snap rolls, mine had that nasty habit for years, and i knew it. it would always stall one wing without warning, and snap into a spin when ever i stalled it, this was no problem if i was high enough, however, when she crashed it was about 100 ft and she just kept spinning until it met the ground.. this is why she now sports the vortex generators, so the tips wont stall, and she maintains ail control all the way through a stall. Any way, you will love the Citabria, just be careful with that big flat wing.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:01 PM
Joined Apr 2012
37 Posts
Thanks for going to the effort of the pictures. I don't know that I am fully convinced that the CG is correct on the plans and that could be the main contributer to the snapping tendancies and also the down trim. This was a big topic of discussion in RC Universe where guys were having trouble keeping their Citabrias from rolling over unexpectantly. They raised the leading edge of the stab and moved the CG forward and life was good again. The further back the CG the more unstable the airplane regardless of type, but I'm sure you know that. Another factor that contributes to snapping is hinge gaps perhaps greater on one side than the other. Had a Great Planes Chipmunk that would snap as soon as I flared for landing. Traced it down to a small elevataor hinge gap that was greater one side than the other. Sealed the gaps on both sides and the snapping went away. Aerodynamics is a mystical thing.
I am really looking forward to finishing and flying my Citabria but life has gotten in the way with a move and a need for some major remodeling of workshop and house. I am just happy to occasionally get out to fly one of the many airplanes I do have. I think I am going to keep the horizontal tail position as I have it set up and balance it at about 25 - 28% and see what happens. I have flown a couple of BUSA Cubs extensively over the years and balanced them in that range and they were docile and almost unspinnable. I don't see where the Citabria would be that much different. When the time comes I will pass on the results.
Heggen is offline Find More Posts by Heggen
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:26 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
Bandit357,

I went back through the Citabria build, and I could not find the new all-up weight (AUW). Did you re-weight it?

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:01 PM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
just weighed the Citabria, SHOCKER... 17.4 lbs.. not bad considering the one and half lbs of lead in the nose.. also while i was at it, i weighed the CUB, now the real shock.. 18.5 lbs.. i thought it was lighter than the Citabria..
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
oops, forgot to mention, both airplanes had half tank of fuel
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:55 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,210 Posts
Wait-...What?-...You flew it and THEN weighed it? How quaint ! I keep going back to our experience with the Cessna 182 kit we built 4 years ago..

I don't weigh anything until I fly it.....So we installed a Saito 100 into a plane with all the bells and whistles-full interior,flaps,lights,koverall and dope and a sprayed paint finish.

First flight was off grass,and once airborne and trimmed,we were back to 1/2 throttle for cruise. The landing was a non-event,with 10 degrees of flap;imagine our surprise at the weigh-in = 17lbs.! Had we weighed it first,we could have psyched ourselves into thinking it couldn't possibly fly ! But fly it did,and well !
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
yep, fly then weigh.. i was not too worried because she flew for years, the only thing i was worried about was the CG. just like the cub, i figure that it don't matter what it weighs, as long as the CG is in the right spot, a little extra weight only means you got to land a little faster ( lol). what i got from the Citabria, is that if you build the bud nosen kit right out of the box per the plans, she would weigh around 15 lbs just like the plans call for, however, i had to add a bunch of lead to the nose, so i think the kit design is tail heavy from the start. maybe in the future i might buy another kit, and try to build it light to see if i could shave 2 lbs from the over all weight..?? would be an interesting project?? Any way, she fly's great, i am really pleased with the performance. thanks
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
AIRSHOW this last weekend

just thought i would show off the planes here.. even put the WACO on static display.. lol.. it was funny, because people kept asking when it was going to fly.. ha, ha, little did they know.. she still needs to be finished.. sure fooled a lot of people, even club members..

by the way, i flew the crap out of both the cub and Citabria, at least 10 flights each. had a great day.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:54 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,210 Posts
People like that Waco ! I flew one for years,and it always attracted a crowd..The lines are the epitome of what folks think a Golden Age Biplane should look like.

Yours looks proud just sitting there.

And I would have asked when it was gonna fly too !! I would have waited for it !
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
servo WENT BAD

went flying last week, and today, to my surprise the right aileron started doing its OWN thing all by its self... hummm, whats this?? with the engine running it would just start moving by its lonesome, with out any input.. so i pulled the wires, and checked all the connectors, and wires.. and with the engine off, no problems.. so today i tried again, YEP, you guessed it, same thing, this time i came prepared, and brought another servo, and it cured the problem.. so my question?? the brand new HITEC 645MG servo only had 15 flights, i dont think it should have gone bad?? any one else have problems with these?? for sure im sending it back with a note, and see what they do.. ( i sure dont want to buy all new servo's again. maybe JR?)
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:29 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,210 Posts
I'd ask about warranty,especially if you have a matching servo on the opposite aileron.

I have a JR servo on right aileron,and when I preflite it,it goes past the end point and "bounces" back...I just thought to check the end point adjustment to see if I have it set lower than full travel.

I had an AT-6 that rolled on take-off,due to ignition interference,and it turned out a Futaba servo couldn't deal with it.I changed that servo,and the problem went away also.

Try your servo in another channel temporarily and see if it's okay-(don't fly,just see if it goes crazy some where else).should prove it's defective.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:49 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,183 Posts
I have approximately 40, 645's. I have not encountered any problems.

To me, it sounds like you have an RF problem.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
servo

thanks guys for responding, I did switch around the wires to different channels, and same thing,the right aileron acted the same, so when i installed a different servo, the problem went away, so i have concluded the servo is bad, it is being sent back and see what they say. maybe a new servo??
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:32 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit357 View Post
thanks guys for responding, I did switch around the wires to different channels, and same thing,the right aileron acted the same, so when i installed a different servo, the problem went away, so i have concluded the servo is bad, it is being sent back and see what they say. maybe a new servo??
Most likely a new servo is required.....We're interested in these problems,to hear the solutions..
I had a wire loose in the connector of my favorite (Futaba) servo,and that intermittent connection applied flaps whenever it wanted to ! You'd apply flap,and get nothing-maybe-then there you are !
Everyone thought it was the transmitter roll button used for proportional flaps.

Extensive testing revealed the true problem..
RCG Plus Member