HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:07 AM
United States, CA, Santa Maria
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
Build Log
BUD NOSEN Citabria rebuild after crash

here is go, i thought some people would enjoy my pain of rebuilding my 26 year old Bud Nosen citabria after i crashed it . i built this plane 26 years ago, and lost it, ( flew away, and was found 60 miles away on its wheels in a field) then i sold it, and it found its way back to me some 18 years later, i of course replaced the radio with a Spektrum and began flying it every weekend. After a few months, i stalled it into a spin, and smashed it into the ground.. oops. ( will upload pics) sooo, i hung it up and forgot about it, along with the bucket of broken parts. the motor ( a Zenoah g38) got transplanted into a SIG piper cub, and thats what i now fly, and for the fun of it, i bought an old 1/5 scale PT 19, and bought a brand new DLE 30 for it, and you guessed it, this thing flew like a fighter jet, it was cool.. i flew it for a little time, and ... it committed suicide.. so here i am, with a brand new DLE 30.. hummm, so, got a hair up my butt, and started to fix the citabria, just to use the new engine.. so here we go, i noticed that there does not seem to be any one building Nosen kits any more, so i thought some might enjoy this, so here goes..
bandit357 is offline Find More Posts by bandit357
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:39 AM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
more pics

here is the site of the crime
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:44 AM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
now time for the rebuild

these pics taken ofter a day of sorting, and grinding off the really rough broken pieces, then attaching the landing gear, not much holding it on yet
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:52 AM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
adding more beef to the fire wall

here you can see where i have added some 1/2 spruce stringers up through the fire wall and ties into the fuse all the way to the servo tray. with the DLE 30 i wanted to make sure there would be enough strength, the original plans only called for the 2 pieces of plywood. ( speaking of plans, i have long ago lost mine, so this rebuild being done by finding the broken pieces and guessing how she goes together)
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:55 AM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
thats it for today,

here is where she is today,
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:09 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,712 Posts
Raising a model from the dead can be an interesting adventure. You will have a special feeling of satisfaction, when she flies again.

Nice work so far !
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
you are so right, thanks.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 01:01 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
454 Posts
I recently had a similar occurrence.

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=73621

My Giant Super Sportster came in vertically after a midair. The fuselage was completely destroyed all the way to the trailing edge of the wing. My first action was to discard the remains as it looked hopeless.

To cut a long (sad) story short I had to go back to the scene of the crash and retrieve every bit of smashed balsa/ply as I could to create a “plan/drawing” so that I could start to cut new wood.

Your rebuild looks to be well on its way to getting back into the air. I have the same aeroplane as yours but still in the box (one day) years ago I purchased a cowl and wheel pants from Fiberglass Specialties.

http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htm.

Keep the photos coming.

mike
mikmerl is offline Find More Posts by mikmerl
Old Jun 04, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
thanks, by the way, nice job on the sportster. i will post more pics as i get more done. My love for Bud Nosen kits is coming back.. ( cant say i loved it the first time when i built it, took my 2 years) thanks again
Old Jun 04, 2012, 06:29 PM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
just to show where the old citabria parts went

this is where the engine and cowl for the citabria went, i bought a 25 year old SIG cub, and put the parts to work, of course after fixing the engine, and cowl, the engine crank shaft was bent 1/4 inch from the crash. and the cowl was mush.. sure looks good now.

and of course the PT 19 before its untimely demise
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:16 AM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,406 Posts
Bandit,

I have a Nosen Citabria with a dle 30 side carb that a friend build recently; it's a real rocket ship . He's had the kit since the early 70's. There's enough scale power at less than 1/4 throttle . Mine has flaps, which slows it down to a walking speed for landing. good luck with your rebuild .

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:13 AM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
thanks, your citabria looks great, .. i am looking forward to the extra power of the DLE 30 so my loops will be more round. I ordered my new cowl from fiberglass specialties today, hope to see it soon, because i can not sand any more on the nose until it arrives, i also did some more work on mounting the engine ( just noticed i need 2 1/4 inch stand offs) and i need to make my exit port under the cowl bigger to allow more heat to exit the cowl. So it looks like i might get started on the wings ( one has 3 broken ribs, and the other dusted 6 ribs) by the way, i ordered the Decathalon cowl and i have the Decathalon wheel pants, so when im done this will be a Fake and Bake Decathalon.. should be fun.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:24 AM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
my new bag of extra parts

lots of extra balsa here ( in a bag)
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
more work

here are some pics of more work, i made the exit for engine cooling bigger, and now i start to shape the new balsa.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
more pics

here are more pics, i started to sand and shape the new balsa, you can also see the ignition mount inside behind the fire wall.