Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:19 PM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
689 Posts
Beevo Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post
So I have started a BeeVolution for a local guy who wants a nice first DS Model.

The cores are very warped and not even. Hollow spots etc. Any advice with keeping them somewhere of respectable during the build? Should I weight it flat along the TE and rear part of the chord in the upright position?

I have replaced the stock 1/4" carbon/fiberglass joining tube with a length of 1/4" spring steel rod, and then added the two 3x1 carbon pieces in the arc top and bottom as Stu did. Next is some 6x1 carbon for the TE.

Should I put any more spars in? Or will the Fiber Tape/Lam Film be enough over the top?

Aim is for a 150mph capable BeeVo, so around the 40oz mark

6v Eneloop, HS5485HB servos.

Stu, did you fix any part of the trailing edge? Or have full span elevons?
Alex:
I am just starting a BeeVo also. I have flown front side for a little over a year now and I would like to try DSing with the BeeVo be really it will mostly be flown front side. Did you tape yours and then apply thinned goop? How many layers of multi directional tape did you put down? Maybe a quick rehash please? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:12 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,485 Posts
Still going. Look at the previous photo I just uploaded yesterday. Follow Stu's advice at the beginning of the thread
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:00 AM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
689 Posts
Alex:
The BeeVo airfoil is different than the Bee that Stu is using so I was wondering if you were doing anything different, and you answered that. Thanks for the tip about the PU glue, as that is one of my favorite glues and I would have used it. I think mine is warped too (see pic below), a little weight and tape while gluing will fix that.

I live about 100 miles from Stu, but the other side of the mountain range. A big wind day is 20 MPH here so I don't think a 40 oz plane will fly many days here. Maybe a 30 oz plane? I like thinned goop, one layer of 3M multi directional tape, and a layer of 5mm laminating film, that might get me there? I don't think I will be able to reenforce the trailing edge like Stu as the weight to the front would make it too heavy. I am adding a 10mm carbon flat in the fuse by the trailing edge to strengthen the aft of the fuse to stop it from splitting up the middle. Does anybody spray 3M77 adhesive on the thinned goop before you tape the wing or will the 3M Extreme shipping tape stick well enough to the thinned goop? Does the new stuff laminating film stick to well to the 3M shipping tape without 3M77 or another adhesive in between the two?
Thanks in advance for your help all!!
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:56 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,586 Posts
A 30oz BeEvo will fly great. You will be close with your plans. My first BeEvo is a little less than that that with a 4 cell AA pack and one layer of strapping tape. 3m sticks too well to goop so I let it dry at least 24hrs before taping. I can't answer the lam ? I only put it on after Monokote.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:01 PM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,586 Posts
I flew the 40oz bee at Weldon yesterday in light winds and had a blast. I love that plane. I gotta get going on a 40oz BeEvo soon for comparison.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:03 AM
wyong, NSW, Aust
Joined Apr 2005
386 Posts
Hi,

I did have 3 bee evo now down to 2 due to a fly away of my light one which flew fine in up to 20knots weighing only 600 grams (21 oz). The other two one is standard 720 grams (25 oz) and flys great in 7 to 30knots.

The other I call a evo x (I had a spare kit and got board) and would say is no better than a standard but does look cool and tracks well on the back side but needs wide turns as will wash a lot of speed off if turned to tight but it weighs 1250 grams (44oz) and will fly fine in over 12 and is my main go to plane for DS as it does work and it tough having both tape and heavy lam film covering.

For my local rough coastal site (Wybung NSW Aust) they are just what I need.

regards,
Arie
glidesailrc is online now Find More Posts by glidesailrc
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:40 PM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,586 Posts
Sounds exactly like the characteristics Ian warned about. Thanks for confirming.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:55 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,396 Posts
Sounds like the beevo needs to be built heavy and flown like a lead sled, ie long carving turns.
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:33 AM
wyong, NSW, Aust
Joined Apr 2005
386 Posts
If I built one now for DS I would build it standard add a few extra spars and make sure it can be ballasted to 900 grams (31oz). I have flown the purple one at this weight in 20knots and it went great and could still pull tight turns when needed.

At the moment it is my only light combat plane so is staying as is for now.

regards,
Arie
glidesailrc is online now Find More Posts by glidesailrc
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:03 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,485 Posts
Almost done. I think this is the nicest foamy I have built to date. Finish looks almost composite like! Slight strapping tape pattern to the finish.

Not sure whether to Lam film it now or not.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:31 AM
225 mph
Australia, NSW, Warriewood
Joined Oct 2011
294 Posts
That looks very clean Alex. Nice build.
-Snowfly- is offline Find More Posts by -Snowfly-
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:36 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,485 Posts
Doing my special mod to the coreflute fins as we speak. Typing with glue covered gloves haha
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:45 PM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,586 Posts
I've decided to build 3 approx 40oz wings at the same time. Bee, Bee II, BeEvo.
I'm not sure if it will turn into a build thread but i will try to take some pics. It'll be slow going. My goal is to finish by next April so I can bring down to Weldon for a little furball fun. I've got the kits, the batteries, and servos ready to go. 2 planes with 325's, 1 with 425's I had laying around. The Bee and Bee II should fly identical but the build will differ slightly.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:58 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,485 Posts
Would be good to see three identical builds to see which airframe is the fastest =)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:07 PM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,586 Posts
A spec race