SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:55 PM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,565 Posts
Nice Stu, do you put more goop over the covering after that? I have to build myself another foamy- maybe a beevo is a good way to go.
Cheers, Josh
josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:53 PM
I land when i CFIT!
USA, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2007
887 Posts
Is this a Bee, or bee-evolution?

Thanks, Colby
flytrip is online now Find More Posts by flytrip
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:01 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,640 Posts
This is an original Bee kit. I bought a bunch of them when the prices for the new ones started to get expensive.
I've used goop over the covering in the past but now I prefer not to. It's easier to fix. Add a 2-4" strip of New Stuff and this thing is ready for the furball.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:51 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytrip View Post
Is this a Bee, or bee-evolution?

Thanks, Colby
The Beevo is kind of an odd plane. It is significantly thinner than the Bee, which is already
one of the thinnest wings out there, and this makes it slippery and quick in smooth air, but when
it gets a bit rough the Beevo slows right down. It very inefficient at high angles of attack.
Makes it not very good at combat or DS, so from my perspective, pretty worthless.
A heavy Bee is plenty fast, as Stu has proven.

And I agree. I used to Goop the leading edge. Now I use strips of 10mil laminate (the softer variant).
I also like to add a couple semi-circular plates of NS to the top and bottom of the nose (they
go on first, and the LE strips overlap it), for added impact and anti-fold protection.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:48 PM
I land when i CFIT!
USA, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2007
887 Posts
Oh perfect! So the Beevo I ordered should be perfect for our rough nasty air at POTM and Eagle Mtn. Bummed out...
flytrip is online now Find More Posts by flytrip
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:05 PM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,640 Posts
I still like my BeEvo very much even though it's beat to heck. I built it pretty much standard Predator style except a AA 4 cell and a custom strapping tape job. I think top speed was 128 at 27oz. I run the CG maybe 8-3/8" and my elevons are about 1-2" too short ( I screwed up and made 2 identical instead of L & R)
One thing I'm not great at is comparing different flight characteristics. Ian might be a little too harsh on the old gal.
One day soon I will make a 40oz BeEvo and compare the two or anyone who meets me on the hill can do their own comparison.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:25 PM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,565 Posts
Thats news to me about the beevo being not too flash. I only know one guy with a nice weighty one but it seems really fast (not that Ive compared it to a standard bee though)
BTW they are doing free shipping at the moment so I might just have to get one. I do like the bats though- maybe I need one of each!
josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:01 AM
setting CG with ceiling fan on
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Apr 2010
509 Posts
My 32 oz Beevo was fast and fun in good wind, but in lighter conditions it was not flying. It was too heavy for combat and even in strong lift, did not recover well. I like a lightweight Bee2 in the sub 20 oz range for combat and I'm building my 3rd one now. Since I split the Beevo up the middle, I need to get cracking on another heavy Bee2 for DS.
bluzharp is offline Find More Posts by bluzharp
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:10 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH View Post
One thing I'm not great at is comparing different flight characteristics. Ian might be a little too harsh on the old gal.
Keep in mind, some of our best DS days on Zion, would be considered almost unflyable
at Weldon. In our rough groove, I've found a Bee to handle it better and maintain its energy.
Where it *really* shows though is in combat. Almost everyone here flies Bees
and we swat at each other constantly and the Bee just keeps going at a consistent pace.
Take a couple swats with the Beevo (which is definitely faster in a straight line) and it slows to
a crawl and the Bees run away. It just does not fly at high angles of attack.
And after a combat hit, forget it. It just tumbles out of the sky (for the same reason).

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Jun 20, 2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:19 PM
Get your build on!
United States, CA, Ventura County
Joined Sep 2008
2,769 Posts
So what is the magic AUW to shoot for then on a Bee?
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:00 PM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,640 Posts
I'm really liking it at 40oz for anything over 15mph.
25-30oz is too light.
70oz is not too versatile.
I flew mine again on Sunday and it outperformed my medium heavy 60" LEG 109.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:02 PM
Rocket geek
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Dec 2007
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogance View Post
So what is the magic AUW to shoot for then on a Bee?

I have a 10.5 oz Bee, a 20 oz Bee, and a 35 oz Bee. The wind range that's most fun for me for each plane is:

10 Oz: 4-15 mph
20 Oz: 7 to 30 mph
35 Oz: 12-40+ mph

I have found that the optimal CG shifts back with weight. 8.5" is perfect for the usual 18-20 Oz Bee, but my light one was a little unstable at that location, and my heavy one was too nose-heavy with that CG. At 35 oz, the Bee has to be flown pretty fast to avoid tip stalls, and it lands hard, so you really have to ballast up with tape and coverings that add strength in order to keep it from being too fragile. If you only have 1 Bee, and you want to fly on moderate days, I'd go for 18-22 oz. That's a pretty standard speed for combat where I fly, too.
Adrian A is offline Find More Posts by Adrian A
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:06 AM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,640 Posts
I agree with your wind speeds/weights.
I like a normal Bee as well but for DS or big air the heavy Bee is still my recommendation.
Also, my CG experience is almost exactly opposite of yours.
My full trailing edged 70oz Bee tracks poorly with the CG at 8.5". I moved it forward about 1/8-1/4".
Still no additional tipstalling tendencies.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:02 AM
Get your build on!
United States, CA, Ventura County
Joined Sep 2008
2,769 Posts
My Bee came in at 100 oz.....is what I would be telling you had I built it the way I intended. But now I am rethinking the build to get the weight down.
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:52 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
So I have started a BeeVolution for a local guy who wants a nice first DS Model.

The cores are very warped and not even. Hollow spots etc. Any advice with keeping them somewhere of respectable during the build? Should I weight it flat along the TE and rear part of the chord in the upright position?

I have replaced the stock 1/4" carbon/fiberglass joining tube with a length of 1/4" spring steel rod, and then added the two 3x1 carbon pieces in the arc top and bottom as Stu did. Next is some 6x1 carbon for the TE.

Should I put any more spars in? Or will the Fiber Tape/Lam Film be enough over the top?

Aim is for a 150mph capable BeeVo, so around the 40oz mark

6v Eneloop, HS5485HB servos.

Stu, did you fix any part of the trailing edge? Or have full span elevons?
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member