SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:43 PM
United States, CA, Lower Lake
Joined Sep 2011
87 Posts
Discussion
What plane? What to use my Sbach 342 guts in ?

So I crashed my Sbach pretty hard. It's been through many, it had a lot of epoxy and CA in it and it was starting to fly pretty heavy. I could repair it with a new fuse and wing, but I thought it might be fun to use the guts in something else.

Any suggestions? I don't want to scratch build a plane, it just doesn't sound fun to me. Any airframes that would be a good power to weight fit? Something from Hobbyking maybe? A cheap 1s plane? I think a Su-26 with that gear would be a hoot, but all that extra weight might be a bummer.

I'm open to a 3d plane, profile, cub style, pattern. just looking for good suggestions of already made airframes that would accept the 2S setup nicely (as far as power to weight and servo's go)

Oh ya, I'm open to purchase a scratchbuilt airframe from a RCG member too!
phranticness is offline Find More Posts by phranticness
Last edited by phranticness; Jun 03, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Apr 2012
330 Posts
Scratch build one yourself, it's easier than u think!
minimicrorc is offline Find More Posts by minimicrorc
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:28 AM
Joined Sep 2011
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimicrorc View Post
Scratch build one yourself, it's easier than u think!
Thank you for the words of encouragement, but........

It's not about the difficulty, it's that I have a limited amount of time for my hobbies and I have other portions of my RC hobby that I enjoy, and am certain that I would enjoy more than building by scratch. That's not to say that someday I may want to give it a shot. It's just not my cup of tea right now. But I do appreciate the art of other peoples creations.

So...... any suggestions based on my original post?
Last edited by phranticness; Jun 04, 2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 05:14 PM
Joined Sep 2011
87 Posts
Would this be better posted in a different section? Anyone have a suggestion for a different section to post this question? Maybe general plane talk?

Thank you.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:10 PM
"Free" in Christ! #F3P
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
911 Posts
If you do not want to build one yourself, I know that Fancy Foam, and TAS Foamies have kits or are about to have kits for that size plane.

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:26 PM
Joined Sep 2011
87 Posts
Really. Sounds interesting. I'm going to google them right now

Thanks Free
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:40 PM
Joined Sep 2011
87 Posts
I took a look and that is the idea. Actually, I'm stoked to find out about those sites, I didn't know that micro 4ch were available for $15 (probably even cheaper if I want to wait)

I may have interest in trying out a scratch build once I get my hands on one. Once I see how one is made. But at this point I still want to find something different for the sbach gutz. I'm leaning toward a full fuse plane though. I'm going to look at Hobbyking's stuff again.

Thanks again Free
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:53 PM
Joined Sep 2011
87 Posts
Another member pointed me toward this plane. http://www.nitroplanes.com/11a200-yak54-kit.html I'm really hoping to find some more options along these lines. This may be the one though
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:35 AM
"Free" in Christ! #F3P
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
911 Posts
That looks neat, but it may be to small for the UMX BL gear?

I can't think of any full fuse planes for that size gear, unless if you wanted to get spare parts for the HH UMX planes?

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Sep 2011
87 Posts
You're right, it might be too small. It weights in pretty close to the sbach though (lighter, but it has no gear in it. I honestly don't know a thing about lift and wing loading, thrust, etc. But under $40 delivered and I'm willing to roll the dice. If it doesn't work I can always find some gear that will, I still have handfulls of 1S batteries that need a model.