HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:18 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
Discussion
So the Nina and the Pinta were in town recently, how about some pics?

The Historical reproductions of these Spanish Merchant ships recently spent a week in my fair city at Rockets Landing. at the fall lines of the mighty James River.

they seem to function as Historical reenactment, training ship for volunteer tall ship sailors, Party boats, and roving tourist traps

They call Wilmington Delaware as their home port.

Here are some pics I took when went to visit them over the memorial day weekend. Maybe not the best pics but I hope some of you scale builders will find some use of them

enjoy!

if any one needs or wants them, I live about 45 minutes away from the Jamestown settlement, york town victory center where the reproductions of the Susan Constant, Godspeed, and Discovery are moored. and would be more than happy to take a day trip out there and take some pics.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Last edited by bgnome; Jun 03, 2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: it helps to actually attach the pics Im talking about.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:43 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,795 Posts
Wow, they are so small. The courage of the voyagers to the new world is without question. The fact that they crossed unknown oceans in such small ships makes them seem even more courageous.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:30 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
Capt. smiths vessels down at Jamestown aren't much bigger, if not smaller, believe it or not. I'm pretty sure that this was the average size for such ship of it's time.

I meant to get a picture of some of the evidence of some modern stuff on board to make a joke about "at least they had GPS!" but I passed that one up

she was plugged into the dock and a bilge pump was running.. that's to be expected I wont begrudge them that with an all wooden boat like that. though a modern Bilge pump does put a fleet of 6 year old orphans out of work.

They had a little tow boat moored beside them, basically it looked like a half long aluminum outboard motor john boat with push bumpers on the front end, so I can only assume that they cant move under their own power besides sail.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:49 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,252 Posts
Thank You.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:05 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Wow, they are so small. The courage of the voyagers to the new world is without question. The fact that they crossed unknown oceans in such small ships makes them seem even more courageous.
Yes, they certainly are. Makes those caravels in HBO's Game of Thrones look like venerable Ming Dynasty treasure ships.

Speaking of, I'll be visiting Nanjing soon to see the Zhenghe "Treasure Boat" replica which is under construction. At 223' x42', it could probably hold both Nina & Pinta on deck.

http://www.zhenghetreasureboat.com/
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Last edited by herrmill; Jun 04, 2012 at 12:10 AM.