HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2003, 09:28 PM
Gravity always wins!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
681 Posts
Foils, washout and tip stall - or Plouf, which foil?

Hi guys,

While procrastinating instead of doing this assignment I am supposed to be doing, I found a couple of threads with the cool 28" v tail the "Plouf". I know have in my virtual hands the plan for this and a CAD version drawn from the plan by a fellow Australian. It looks like a great little plane to play with!

Since I have the CAD version of the wing, when I get to building it, I'll use that - I want to do the foil accurately as well, and so have been trying to work out what to use. I've chatted with a few people about it, and have some suggestions - I am very novice when it comes to foil choice, tip stall, wash out etc, so figure here is the place to ask - I'm sure there are guys out there that know all this stuff, and having been around the forums a while, I know everyone is great with sharing info.

The suggestions I have had for the foil are:
RG15
SD7037
S2091

You can see the plan for the Plouf on this thread - there is a link on the last post of the last page for the download.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=plouf

So I'm open to suggestions, comments or any lessons in foils/washout/tip stall etc.

Oh - and I'll build it to slope on low to medium wind days - I want something that will fly in light winds, and also do a bit of aerobatics. Cheap and small is good too :-) I figure I need to move on to something I can break - yet afford to fix too :-)

Thanks!

Matt
Mafu is offline Find More Posts by Mafu
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2003, 11:03 PM
Ado
Meow?
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,574 Posts
Buy a mini weasel :P
Ado is offline Find More Posts by Ado
Old Nov 05, 2003, 11:23 PM
Gravity always wins!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
681 Posts
LOL - you are such a help You know I want one of those too - but this one will satisfy the building from balsa need :-) Besides, I want to learn a bit more about foils etc!

Matt
Old Nov 05, 2003, 11:49 PM
Ado
Meow?
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,574 Posts
I have the plans for the Plouf aswell....never got around to building it though.....be interested on how yours turns out.
Ado is offline Find More Posts by Ado
Old Nov 06, 2003, 03:12 AM
TCM
UK, County Antrim, Belfast
Joined Aug 2002
109 Posts
Mafu
I have just built the Plouf as per plans. Wanted something cheap to try slope soaring with. I can't help as per wing section but all I can say it is a realy fun glider which has inspired me to get into slope soaring. Just make sure you reduce the wing incidence from that on the plan.
Tim
TCM is offline Find More Posts by TCM
Old Nov 06, 2003, 05:07 AM
Gravity always wins!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
681 Posts
Hi Tim,

How much did you reduce it to - from the plan I worked out (and I think I calculated it correctly!) it is about 6.2 degrees. Are you talking a big reduction? or a small reduction - like 4 degrees? And do you mean by dropping the carbon joining spar, or raising the locator dowel?

Thanks!

Matt
Old Nov 06, 2003, 07:20 AM
TCM
UK, County Antrim, Belfast
Joined Aug 2002
109 Posts
I raised the locator dowel by 2 deg.
Tim
TCM is offline Find More Posts by TCM
Old Nov 06, 2003, 09:01 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,046 Posts
How can you build a plane called a "PLOUF"??

If you must then go with an easier airfoil to make than the ones you posted. Those are undercambered and will be hard to make accurately in wood. I'd go with the S3021 or use the ones you listed but take out the slight undercamber near the trailing edge. They will all work fine though. You do not need washout on a plank style wing. Tip stalling shoul not be a problem. You might still stall but it's not likely to be a tip stall.

You're not really gonna build a plane called a Plouf, right? It's like they named it after the sound it makes when it crashes into a huge cow pie!

TFLG
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Last edited by TFLG; Nov 06, 2003 at 10:56 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2003, 10:11 AM
CaliforniaSailplanes.com
So California
Joined Dec 2002
1,789 Posts
LOL... I really like that TFLG... !!!!!

Steve
stegre is offline Find More Posts by stegre
Old Nov 06, 2003, 02:29 PM
Gravity always wins!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
681 Posts
Of course I'm going to build it - its a cool little plane and looks like fun to build and fly!

I also grew up on a dairy farm, so the fact it is named after the sound it makes "when it crashes into a huge cow pie!" only makes it more appealing - it takes me back to my childhood ;-)

Thanks for the suggestions for the foil and pointing out it doesn't need washout - that gives a good starting point. The foil on the plan has a lot of undercamber - that's why when trying to match the foil people have suggested foils with undercamber.

This won't be built for a while - I already have a backlog of kits in the garage - but it looks like a great fun one to do a first balsa build on - I do a lot of woodwork, so this doesn't phase me at all.

Thanks again for the suggestions and the laugh :-)

Matt
Old Nov 07, 2003, 12:19 PM
Dances With The Wind
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,468 Posts
I know that sound...
For proof, check out the landing my Bluto makes in this video clip.

http://www.flex.com/~mbs/Brian.mpg
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Nov 07, 2003, 02:48 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Why not use the wing section on the plans? The few I've seen fly seem to do okay.

Just waiting for some clear space on my bench. Hopefully sometime in the next few months I'll get mine done.

Plouf is French for Splash which is slightly less lame.

--
Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Nov 07, 2003, 04:18 PM
Gravity always wins!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
681 Posts
Brian,

Very spectacular :-) LOL

Dave,

The only reason I am looking for a foil is for accuracy - the plan I have is a scanned JPG, and even though its big, when printed at the correct size the lines are less than thin :-) So, I figure if I can find a good similar foil that I can print from a foil program with a nice thin line, I will have a better foil to start with.

I guess I just like to make things accurately - especially when it comes to woodwork :-)

Matt
Old Nov 10, 2003, 08:12 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
9,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TFLG
You're not really gonna build a plane called a Plouf, right? It's like they named it after the sound it makes when it crashes into a huge cow pie!
TFLG
Close Actually, it is originally a french design, to be flown on the Normandy coast. "Plouf" is supposed to be the sound effect of the plane hitting the water
Up&Away is online now Find More Posts by Up&Away