HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2012, 05:22 PM
Joined Mar 2012
209 Posts
Discussion
what should my next um be?

I have a champ , and a um-t28, i am a beginner for the most part on 4ch planes but through a mistake in shipping i have 100$ in credit with a hobby shop, what should my next um plane be , i was considering the parkzone pole cat , or the parkzone um corsair...... which one would be better for a semi beginner like myself? i cant decide , the pole cat looks faster and more agile , and one review i ead says it gets an a- versus the corsair at a B................
Shark_fighter78 is offline Find More Posts by Shark_fighter78
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,411 Posts
The polecat is better mannered for sure. Corsair is tougher to fly, more fragile and less aerobatic. But it's a neat scale looking plane. I actually prefer the Sukhoi to the polecat though, but a computer radio and lots of expo with really low rates are required for less proficient pilots like me.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jun 03, 2012, 05:52 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,207 Posts
I just ordered the Polecat after flying a Champ and Mustang for a while. I am hoping it is the right fit for me. I should get it at the end of this coming week, so I will let you know my thoughts then.
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:50 PM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Apr 2012
207 Posts
I have the Champ, T28, the Corsair, and the Su26xp, Mosquito, and V1 Beast.

Leaving the Champ out of it, the T28 is by far the most stable, then I would have to give it to the Mossie, its stable in the air, but has its own little quarks, I would say its probably not a good second airplane, and again neither is the corsair both have a nasty little stall, both need a fair amount of throttle to make a successful landing.

The SU26, is one of my favorite planes, and the beast is right behind it.

The Corsair is an all around pain to fly right out of the box, until you get it dialed in then it is a dream just a little faster, and a little more maneuverable than the T28, Like I said if you go with the Corsair, keep some throttle, around 25% on final and make sure you don't side load the gear on landing the gear is a little weak. I would definitely recommend visiting the thread for each plane you are interested in and review some flying characteristics.
Cphipps0826 is offline Find More Posts by Cphipps0826
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:59 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
6,973 Posts
I think the Sukhoi is an excellent choice. Definitely a step up. It flies very nicely.

I would use very low rates on the ailerons for the first few flights. At full throw it rolls very, very fast.

Guys seem to be having tons of problems with the servos in the Carbon Cub, but it is a pleasure to fly if you like scale like flight and have a yen for trying floats and/or flaps. I got mine to tow the ASK-21 sailplane that I have on order, but it's a plane I really enjoy for itself.

By the time you've got the Sukhoi under your belt you can probably fly anything. I love my Sbach and Beast, so there's plenty of room to move up.

BTW, When you get proficient with things like the Sukhoi you should be able to fly anything. Quarter scale ships seem to fly in slow motion by comparison. Unfortunately they don't survive crashes like the UM's do.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying