SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:34 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2012
541 Posts
Discussion
X666 Quad Frame

I saw this frame at hobbyking and for the price it seems like a very nice frame.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...1&d=1338755107
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...2&d=1338755107

I originally had a v1 talon, my first quad by the way, and after learning the ins and outs I wanted something with a larger platform. I was looking at the x525, then hobbyking came out with this frame.

The things I like Most about it:
-Motor mounts, I can mount my motors directly with 4 screws
-Aluminum square tube design, much easier to align everything vs the round tube design
-spring loaded landing gear, great for landing on hard surfaces

I will be using all my electronics from my first quad.
900kv motors, 20 amp esc's, 10" props, kk control board

I should receive frame within a week, Ill give a review and post build pics

If anyone has this frame and has opinions or thoughts feel free to chime in
penz83 is offline Find More Posts by penz83
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:24 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2012
541 Posts
This frame is actually very similar to the x525, which seems to be a good frame
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:40 AM
making crashing a lifestyle!
The Netherlands, UT, Soest
Joined Feb 2012
1,039 Posts
yes, it's just a X525 with longer booms.

the center plates are really bullet proof. i have a X525 frame (centerplates only) and it has taken a lot of abuse. falling out of the sky from 30 meters onto concrete and nothing on the frame itself. (broke all props, bend the lipo, shattered the gimbal and servo's etc etc)

the motormounts are not that great, they do brake easy with a crash. but you can get replacements online and even alu ones. or just mount the motors straight to the booms.

landing gear is nice but also not as sturdy as you might think. straight landings hard or soft are no problem but if you come down in an angle you can break the gear without effort.

i love the frame because it's very robust, the motormounts and landing gear are just not as good as the rest of the quad.

the fold able design makes it survive hard crashes, the booms will fold in a crash and save the frame, and the booms.

i have ordered new frame plates from HK to build a new multi. i make my own booms from alu and i have another bullet proof multi.

and to proof the sturdyness of the frame here are some pictures of a almost full throttle crash. the next day the quad was flying again with new motor, props and other misc parts.
and had a new appearance to..
i have crashed it a lot and hard, but these are the most recent pictures i have.

and the next day:

and you can use the landing gear for other setups..

dutchcommando is offline Find More Posts by dutchcommando
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:51 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2012
541 Posts
Ouch those are some scary pics! Good to hear the frame is durable

It looks like a really nice frame, and being its just like the x525 but with longer booms is a good thing, the x525 gets great reviews.

I can't wait to get it up and running
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:55 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2012
541 Posts
And the design of the motor mounts is great, just flat pieces that bolt on. Simple but effective. If the fiberglass don't hold up it would be very easy to fab new ones out of flat aluminum, or even high strength lexan.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:47 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2012
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchcommando View Post
yes, it's just a X525 with longer booms.

the center plates are really bullet proof. i have a X525 frame (centerplates only) and it has taken a lot of abuse. falling out of the sky from 30 meters onto concrete and nothing on the frame itself. (broke all props, bend the lipo, shattered the gimbal and servo's etc etc)

the motormounts are not that great, they do brake easy with a crash. but you can get replacements online and even alu ones. or just mount the motors straight to the booms.

landing gear is nice but also not as sturdy as you might think. straight landings hard or soft are no problem but if you come down in an angle you can break the gear without effort.

i love the frame because it's very robust, the motormounts and landing gear are just not as good as the rest of the quad.

the fold able design makes it survive hard crashes, the booms will fold in a crash and save the frame, and the booms.

i have ordered new frame plates from HK to build a new multi. i make my own booms from alu and i have another bullet proof multi.

and to proof the sturdyness of the frame here are some pictures of a almost full throttle crash. the next day the quad was flying again with new motor, props and other misc parts.
and had a new appearance to..
i have crashed it a lot and hard, but these are the most recent pictures i have.

and the next day:

and you can use the landing gear for other setups..

Just out of curiosity what motor/prop combo are you running on your x525?
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:18 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,039 Posts
at the top pics (the ones without big camera and legs) :A2212 1000KV with 9X5 props.
with the 9X5 props it is very stable and great in high winds.and great for stunts
i also use 10X4.7 props for more easy flying.
but the quad was bought as a X400, but changed to longer booms quickly motor to motor diagonally is roughly 60CM.
after the crash on the pics the new version (as seen on the pics) is 51cm motor to motor.

the bottom pictures have C2830 850 KV motors with 11X4.5 props for heavy lifting.
the quad flies well with a lot of weight. i have to keep the uaw above 1900grams, or the quad is hard to control, due to way to much thrust. 15% throttle is enough to hover without the extra weight.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:00 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2012
541 Posts
Wow hover at 15% that's crazy thrust. I notice your running the free flight board, how do you like it? I was going to get one but they sold out everywhere so I'm going with a multiwii lite board.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 08:48 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,039 Posts
yeah that's uncontrollable thrust for the FC... but it's kinda cool to see the FF do a forward or backward flip..and see the FF try to compensate for that.. LOL

i really like the FF board, easy to setup and flies very stable. it also handles very high winds without problems.
yeah, to bad they are hard to find now....
Old Jun 05, 2012, 09:30 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2012
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchcommando View Post
yeah that's uncontrollable thrust for the FC... but it's kinda cool to see the FF do a forward or backward flip..and see the FF try to compensate for that.. LOL

i really like the FF board, easy to setup and flies very stable. it also handles very high winds without problems.
yeah, to bad they are hard to find now....
I'm thinking they are making a new model of the ff board so production ha stopped. I see good reviews on the multiwii as well so it should be a step above my kk board.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:33 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2012
541 Posts
I should be receiving my x666 by the end of the week, I hope to have some build pictures up by this weekend
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:12 PM
addicted to the sound ehhhhhhh
Joined Dec 2011
138 Posts
let me know when your gonna maiden her and where id like to come see that!
englanito is offline Find More Posts by englanito
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:38 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2012
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by englanito View Post
let me know when your gonna maiden her and where id like to come see that!
Your in the bay area?
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:18 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2012
541 Posts
My x666 has arrived nice packaging, all parts accounted for and seem to be good quality. I'll try to get some assembly done today and some pictures up.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:24 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2012
541 Posts
I'll have to get it going with my kk board... Still waiting for my multiwii from china...