HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:04 AM
UK, Brentwood, Brentwood
Joined Feb 2011
651 Posts
just about to head off out for another run at my own made track and going to try the 9t 4300kv motor and see hoe it goes
deen247 is offline Find More Posts by deen247
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:56 AM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
Deen. Check with the landowner that where you are running is ok. it has gates on the video so I assume someone owns it. If they are happy, then you should be ok until the local council get a sniff of what's going on.

The track I run in Mablethorpe is ''technically'' on iffy ground but there are no complaints as yet, though I am still trying to meet with the main group of 1/5 nitro truggy drivers to ascertain the state of play.

We don't need bikers getting lumped in with the ''perceived troublemakers'' that run cars. Bikes some how put smiles on peoples faces whereas the cars do not.

Politics are great to deal with! <shrugs shoulders!>

Where are the Vogons? Oh, sorry, they are elected representatives of the council.

Cobblers!
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Last edited by Jonathan Bradbury; Jun 28, 2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:54 AM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,196 Posts
Just don't let those Vogons-- I mean, council members -- read you any poetry.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:09 AM
UK, Brentwood, Brentwood
Joined Feb 2011
651 Posts
jb no its fine where i run the gate you see is just the car parking area and now i have my own ramps and whoops that fit nice in the back of the car so once im finished playing around no one would even suspect there had been a track thereto

also ,love hicth hickers quide to the galaxy just wish the film had been as good as the series
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:27 AM
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
Completely OT from the thread but indulge this one post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidoracer View Post
Just don't let those Vogons-- I mean, council members -- read you any poetry.
I'm safe, it's only the third worst in the universe and I know where my towel is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deen247 View Post
also ,love hicth hickers quide to the galaxy just wish the film had been as good as the series
Which series, the radio or the tv? The best bit of the film was Stephen Fry as 'The Book', a lot of the parts were terribly mis-cast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBRPU...ure=plpp_video
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (episode 1 part 1) (10 min 52 sec)

OT message ends.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:01 AM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,196 Posts
Much to my wife's dismay, I actually remembered to carry around a towel on May 25 this year.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Last edited by Guidoracer; Jul 01, 2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
Things are looking better on the Mablethorpe front...

I finally met a couple of the Truggy drivers today that create and maintain the course. They have been expanding the course a little by cutting down the grass so that helps me out enormously as where they run gets bumpy as hell, but I don't mind as it makes me focus on my riding.

I was also told that the Vogons had held a meeting recently and one of the items on the agenda was the track. Apparently they are happy to have it as it keeps the travellers off the land. It's earmarked for development but I can't imagine further expansion of this industrial estate for quite a few years yet.

Now it just needs a few more people coming over to be on it, then we can get serious and have the timing gear (which is obtainable from the guy who owns a model shop close to here).

The lads I saw peed themselves laughing at the antics of the M5 bouncing over the big ruts and seemed quite supportive of bikes being here. I even had a few laps with one of their buggies. Considering my only previous car driving experience was with Chris D's F1 around Skippy for 2 laps, I didn't do too bad! They tried the bike, with predictable results but they liked it anyway!

Only bad point of the day was the spur gear finally breaking, ho hum.

I will try for photos soon of the track.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Jun 2012
35 Posts
Sounds good on the Mablethorpe front, maybe in the future I can come up for a play.

Anyhow there's been some interesting developments with the Wightnitro club on my Island. They've bought a few acres of land for the sole use of building a track or tracks.

So we'll see where it goes but I'm hopefull
Bonzodog690 is offline Find More Posts by Bonzodog690
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:37 PM
Guildford - United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2005
42 Posts
Great to see some interest in the off-road bikes here in the UK - this class must surely have the biggest potential for the bike section.

Our next BRCA National is on 21/22 July at the Cotswolds track. If enough people are interested then we can easily lay-out a track which is a mixture of tarmac and grass and run a heat for you? In fact we've done that before and many of the on-road racers have an off-road bike they could bring along.

What do you think - would be great to put some names to faces and a good opportunity for anyone interested in RC bikes to meet up?
SteveLeake is offline Find More Posts by SteveLeake
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
Damn picture uploader! Grrr!
Last edited by Jonathan Bradbury; Jul 02, 2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
Paste this into Google Maps for the location of Mablethorpe W.I.P Track (Work In Progress). 53.344488, 0.252280 The green arrow shows the area.

Piccies!

I will say beforehand that any brown patches of earth you see are VERY bumpy! and when I say 'Full throttle' it's with a Mardave silvercan installed, robbed from the KP09e stockbike.

Name: 001.jpg
Views: 30
Size: 200.9 KB
Description: The start/finish. Mild bumps make this full throttle into,

Name: 016.jpg
Views: 36
Size: 298.9 KB
Description: the 1st hairpin. Quite bumpy here so an outside line round the grass is easiest but the fun is get into the inside full leaned over, dab the brake at the apex and full throttle out whilst fighting the wobbles.

Name: 002.jpg
Views: 31
Size: 242.2 KB
Description: Full throttle over the mild bumps. The track starts to split here. The nearest takes me on the old course, the further, greener track is the new, flatter course.

Name: 003.jpg
Size: 297.4 KB
Description: The jumps. The nearest is a flat out drop. The furthest has a lip. As I usually use the closest one and am flat out, there is little chance of using acceleration/brake to alter my flight in the air. this one is hit and hope,

Name: 004.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 306.0 KB
Description: Leading me into 'the bumpy zone'. A 'K' right leads into a hairpin left. A bit of brake in the 'K' then full on brake/lean fully over/ snap turn and throttle out. The new course can be seen heading away.

Name: 005.jpg
Size: 299.0 KB
Description: Careful with the throttle to avoid wheelies over the bumps leads into a 'K' left. The bumps really make the M5 bounce around here! If I get it right and straightline it, then the effect is far less, going into,

Name: 006.jpg
Views: 37
Size: 301.7 KB
Description: a hairpin right. Get the last bit wrong and you are going out towards the edge, fighting to turn. Get it right and it's a brake/lean/ full throttle snap turn.

Name: 007.jpg
Size: 217.8 KB
Description: Get the snap turn wrong and it's into the grass on the right (from which there is no escape!) otherwise it's a full throttle blast down to the next long left hairpin.

Name: 008.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 297.0 KB
Description: A slight bump before entry and it's aim for the centre. This reminds me of Skiptons far hairpin, though here, you can run out wide and have spare time to save going into the grass.

Name: 009.jpg
Views: 28
Size: 301.9 KB
Description: A view of what the new section does. Flat and really needing a ramp or 2 here,

Name: 010.jpg
Size: 300.5 KB
Description: and how old and new merge into the long left hairpin.

Name: 011.jpg
Size: 195.6 KB
Description: Watch the brown patch which (surprise surprise) is another bump that can lift up the front and it's another full throttle blast down the straight.

Name: 012.jpg
Views: 28
Size: 234.0 KB
Description: Coming up to the last section. The left is level, the right is quite banked.

Name: 013.jpg
Size: 209.7 KB
Description: An open 'K' left and 'K' right. The grass on the left is a magnet,

Name: 014.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 215.8 KB
Description: the banking on the right is a no no. Hit that and it's a full stop dead in your tracks crash. Get it right and you will be fighting the gyro to turn right and get a little air, still banked over, back into the start/finish.

Name: 017.jpg
Size: 299.5 KB
Description: A view of the average width of the track and my Citroen van for comparison.
Last edited by Jonathan Bradbury; Jul 03, 2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:49 PM
UK, Brentwood, Brentwood
Joined Feb 2011
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLeake View Post
Great to see some interest in the off-road bikes here in the UK - this class must surely have the biggest potential for the bike section.

Our next BRCA National is on 21/22 July at the Cotswolds track. If enough people are interested then we can easily lay-out a track which is a mixture of tarmac and grass and run a heat for you? In fact we've done that before and many of the on-road racers have an off-road bike they could bring along.

What do you think - would be great to put some names to faces and a good opportunity for anyone interested in RC bikes to meet up?
now that sounds like a great idea let me see if i can make it up there and if not if there is a chance at your next meet might be able to do the same i will 100% be there
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:59 PM
Wetherby, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,138 Posts
Also, for anyone with an offroad bike who hasn't tried onroad yet, there will be a bike available at Cotswold for you to try out. First come first served!

Anyone got any portable jumps to add to the fun?
nuovaic is offline Find More Posts by nuovaic
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:03 PM
Wetherby, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,138 Posts
JB, those coordinates take me to a laboratory! I guess thats not right. And I cant open the piccies, might be cos I'm using me tablet though.
nuovaic is offline Find More Posts by nuovaic
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:10 PM
UK, Brentwood, Brentwood
Joined Feb 2011
651 Posts
i got jumps