HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:47 PM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mono View Post
For a direct comparison to be made between this and the v400 they would have to be using the same pinion and main gear ratio as well, otherwise the fact that it's the same motor loses relevance. The weight and rotor span differences are not really the issue, it's more a case of the motor loading in this model.
I know we all prefer brushless these days, but if these 400 size brushed motors are broken in correctly and maintained, a decent lifespan can be achieved.
I've dry broken, wet broken, and just ran these motors straight from the packet and they really are terrible.

I and many others have had as little as 4 flights from them, and that's with regular oiling of bushings, proper gear mesh, heatsinking, etc..

Will be interesting to hear how this Master CP frame holds up when it drops like a stone due to imminent motor failure.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:51 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,316 Posts
Any other motors that work on this bird
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:52 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Nieuw-Vennep
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
@V999

That's your experience. Friend of mine has the v400 and it's his fav heli.. Better wait for the Master CP reviews instead of making assumptions I think
Chow is offline Find More Posts by Chow
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:58 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow View Post
@V999

That's your experience. Friend of mine has the v400 and it's his fav heli.. Better wait for the Master CP reviews instead of making assumptions I think
Yes, mine and numerous others.

Have a look on the V400d02 thread here and on HF for confirmation.

It's littered with motor failure posts.

I'm merely warning people about the motor, as I don't want to see somebody wrecking their bird within a Week.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
There is an Xtreme 380 motor, but it has been known to fry an 18A brushed ESC that runs the stock motor fine.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
I understand your concern but I rather wait for real reviews. Maybe Walkera improved the motors. We just don't know..
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:17 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,248 Posts
Quote:
Brushed or brushless?

If sticking with brushed there are still some reasonable third party offerings to be found. For brushless, it would need a bit of planning to work out a suitable setup (for me anyway). No doubt there are a few members who have done brushless conversions on this size and could give a few suggestions.
This heli appeals to me in itself, but am rather reluctant to be forced into buying a devo radio, spent enough on 3 of their radios already.
At the moment I'm thinking of the BNF version with a mind to spektrumise it, but that would forfeit the 6 axis setup.

edit... the xtreme 380 is a "hot wound" motor which as v999 noted, will cook most 3in1 or 4in1 controllers. It needs a separate esc and a fuse and would be overkill for this heli anyway. There are a couple of other longer life brushed motors that would be more suitable, I'll see if I can find the links.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Last edited by mono; Sep 02, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:17 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,316 Posts
I'm sure Xtreme will make upgrades for this heli as well

Hopefully a motor kit!
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:25 PM
USA, OR, Summer Lake
Joined Jun 2010
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
Are any vendors selling it in the US yet?
found an ebay store in Sacramento area

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Seller-Wa...item2321d1d458
helifuns is offline Find More Posts by helifuns
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:56 AM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,248 Posts
Two questions for anyone that has the info.....

Has anybody come across the pdf manual for this?
and
Could someone who already bought one please tell me the rating of the ESC?

thank you kindly.

*edit... seems the ESC is a custom made unit controlling both motors and from the one pic I found, it does not have any rating info on it.
This is fast losing its appeal for me, typical Walkera "hard to replace with something else" parts and a price (if half decent radio included) for which I could put a nice quad together.
Hey Mr Walkera, you listening? If you made these new releases compatible with 2801 then you would sell more, don't need to be a marketing genius to work that out.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Last edited by mono; Sep 03, 2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:55 AM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,277 Posts
Quote:
Do you know the size of the stock motor shaft?

My HoneyBee King CP had a brushed motor. The stock motor lasted 3 flights.
Lucky to get 10flights on replacements. Got tired spending dollars on motors & repairs.

If the Master CP has a 2.3mm motor shaft, you can use this motor (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESKY-EK5-000...item20b9b180a9) and use the same pinion. This motor is 27mm in diameter (I used the caliper).

Using the above BL motor, I used this pinion on my 250 size heli http://www.ebay.com/itm/360470358107...84.m1439.l2649 which is WALKERA's 15T pinion for the V400.

You should be able to use the stock ESC for the tail motor and ADD a brushless ESC for the BL main motor (25A).

IMO, brush is brush. It dies when it feels like it. NO WARNING! Not saying it won't last. Like someone said, it can die in as low as 3 flights, depending how much stress or HOT it's ran, or it can last 100 flights, but that would be magic. Usually, the magic smoke comes first.
Small brushed RCs lasts, but that is because of less stress (heat) and some are lower RPMs..

As far as the stock tail motor, those size usually last a long time, and does not usually die instantaneously, but rather gets weaker over time.

Who knows, The NEW MASTER CP V2 is in the making. Powered with BL motor for improved performance and durabilty, only from Walkera.

- Spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Sep 03, 2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:47 AM
Heliyork
Joined Nov 2009
84 Posts
I had 15+ flights on my V400 with stock motor before i converted it to brushless. The motor was still going strong, maybe its because i don't (can't) do 3d

I've just received my master cp bnf version and now waiting for the batteries from HK. I've few tiny brushless motors lying around which i probably use for the conversion later on.
Firewolf is offline Find More Posts by Firewolf
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:49 AM
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
My personal experience with brushed motors is not that they suddenly stop but you see a drop in performance.. But I don't fly 3D either
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:20 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asp View Post
In this video it flies quite good (don't mean to promote any website)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Ba3...e_gdata_player
I just spoke to the person who flew it in that video. He is more of a F3C than a 3D flier. He told me that the heli flew alright and was quite stable. However, it is still underpowered because of the brushed motor that gets very hot after each flight. He thinks that you will need to go brushless at some stage.

Apparently. Helipal has taken a large consignment of batteries under the "Storm" brand. I have also been told by my vendor will now cost $13 instead of $10. This is the same price as batteries for the Trex 250.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:26 AM
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Odd. Let me quote TonyTypeS..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTypeS View Post

The pros about the Master CP:
-The brushed motor has quite a bit of power. I was surprised how much power it had. Brushless is not even needed for this heli with the power the brushed motor has. Keeps cost down and should be an ok heli for those who want to practice stunts.

Now the Cons:
-Main motor heat!
So yes motor gets warm. But it seems to have plenty of power.