HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:52 AM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
My MasterCP did indeed come in today, didn't get to fly it yet. I didn't get batteries with the BNF so I will grab a few tomorrow and put it through it's paces.

Attachment 5123442
I have a V400d02 here that uses the same nasty RK-400SD brushed motor.
You can see anywhere between 3-100 flights out of it, they really are that variable.
Be sure to break it in (dry or wet) if you plan on keeping it installed.
If you plan on going B/L within the next few flights don't bother.
I wouldn't want your Master CP to fall like a brick without giving you adequate warning.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V999D02 View Post
I have a V400d02 here that uses the same nasty RK-400SD brushed motor.
You can see anywhere between 3-100 flights out of it, they really are that variable.
Be sure to break it in (dry or wet) if you plan on keeping it installed.
If you plan on going B/L within the next few flights don't bother.
I wouldn't want your Master CP to fall like a brick without giving you adequate warning.
Sounds like i will have to visit that thread and find out the brushless options. I may do it without having ever spun it up.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:55 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like i will have to visit that thread and find out the brushless options. I may do it without having ever spun it up.
Yeah, there is some good information on the thread, and 90% of people have already gone fully brushless.
There are loads of options.
I'm still running on the stock motor, but I've fitted a fan and heatsink and dry broke the motor in on 3V for around half and hour.
I've had no "in air" motor failures yet, but that's because I tend to crash within around 20 flights and change the motor out when this happens anyway.
Maybe the motor will last longer on the 200 size as it isn't lifting too much weight and will be swinging smaller blades.

Just one question;
What is the frame like on the Master CP?
Does it look rugged?
Last edited by V999D02; Sep 02, 2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,227 Posts
to be honest, the frame looks VERY strong.....the only place i see a problem is where the tail boom sticks in, i think if you were to hit it just right you may end up replacing the frame. If you aren't doing 3d you probably would never have to worry about it. The landing gear are separate from the frame and the whole thing looks REALLY, REALLY easy to work on. Btw, i think this motor actually may do o.k. in this heli.....think about it, it isn't swinging such big blades nor lifting as much mass.
I will have to try it out first....about to go to the hobby shop to see about fitting some lipos.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:54 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,167 Posts
Quote:
My MasterCP did indeed come in today, didn't get to fly it yet. I didn't get batteries with the BNF so I will grab a few tomorrow and put it through it's paces.

Attachment 5123442
That was fast, considering that it is very difficult to get stock of this heli at the moment. Anyway, I will leave it to you to provide the first report by a paying user. I am a bit worried about where to how to fly it anyway. I don't have any large fields left where I can do sports flying with a 250. It is possible to do some mild 3D but I am a bit scared since I had a few close shaves recently with smaller helis.

What I am concerned about is that Walkera hopes to make a killing in parts while keeping the price of the heli as low as possible. The brushed motor and servos seem to be a candidate. Somehow, they shot themselves in the foot with the stock batteries. They didn't produce enough on time and now third party batteries are already available.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:33 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,227 Posts
it was a no go on batteries....lhs was closed for labor day weekend.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:18 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,773 Posts
anyone fly it yet?

I'm dieing here
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:24 PM
asp
Spain, CN, Villaverde
Joined Apr 2012
302 Posts
In this video it flies quite good (don't mean to promote any website)

HeliPal.com - Walkera HM Master CP Helicopter Outdoor 3D Flight (5 min 33 sec)
asp is offline Find More Posts by asp
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:35 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Nieuw-Vennep
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
I assume it will fly ok. No bad walkera's since the Genius.
Chow is offline Find More Posts by Chow
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:52 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,167 Posts
I was told it can do tic-tocs, which means that there is some serious power there.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
We will see when the first people here get their heli. Mine is on it's way. Problem is I can't do tic-tocs
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:09 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,773 Posts
Tic Tocd would be impressive
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Not when I do it
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I was told it can do tic-tocs, which means that there is some serious power there.
It will probably be able to do long crude tic-tocs, not tight ones.

This is the case with the V400d02 that uses the same motor anyway.

Maybe it might be able to do more than the 400 due to its smaller size, but the RK400-SD motor bogs at the slightest bit of work.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:09 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,148 Posts
For a direct comparison to be made between this and the v400 they would have to be using the same pinion and main gear ratio as well, otherwise the fact that it's the same motor loses relevance. The weight and rotor span differences are not really the issue, it's more a case of the motor loading in this model.
I know we all prefer brushless these days, but if these 400 size brushed motors are broken in correctly and maintained, a decent lifespan can be achieved.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono