HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:02 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2010
1,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmops67 View Post
One downside of the master CP is indeed the throttle wich don't cut immediatly when you push throttle hold, and even when I take the throttle stick back quickly in NORM mode, the motor doesn't stop immediatly.
This results in some chicken dance tendancy when landing in tall grass

Yeah, this is one thing i certainly wish they would provide us a firmware update for.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:32 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Yesterday i had two strange crashs.
First on the v450 during a slow flight the shaft of the brushless motor broke apart.
I was able to land the bird safely without further damage.
Next flight the Master CP the same thing happend again, shaft from the brushless motor broke and the copter crashed into the mud.
On both birds the pionion and shaft were stuck in the frame...
So what did we do, i cut of 2 hex-drivers an used this to for a replacement shaft

Best steel-quality, this shafts will never ever break again
addifromgermany is offline Find More Posts by addifromgermany
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:41 AM
Brent 黑雁
BThirsk's Avatar
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by addifromgermany View Post
Yesterday i had two strange crashs.
First on the v450 during a slow flight the shaft of the brushless motor broke apart.
I was able to land the bird safely without further damage.
Next flight the Master CP the same thing happend again, shaft from the brushless motor broke and the copter crashed into the mud.
On both birds the pionion and shaft were stuck in the frame...
So what did we do, i cut of 2 hex-drivers an used this to for a replacement shaft

Best steel-quality, this shafts will never ever break again
That's a strange one. Is that ice on the master?
If it was cold and wet, maybe the moisture built up on the 2 gears causing a binding situation which broke the shafts. It's amazing how the down wash from the rotor blades will cool off things.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:38 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
It was pretty warm yesterday for a december in Germany, we had 8degrees celsius.

The white stuff is glasfibre, i had to fix my frame after a ball link broke during flight two weeks ago. The RX holder was broken after that crash
addifromgermany is offline Find More Posts by addifromgermany
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:09 AM
Bring back the Huey!
RamboSmurf's Avatar
United States, NY, Kingston
Joined Mar 2007
189 Posts
Hi All
Thought I would add my review of the Master CP. I got it 1 week ago and have flow it hard and heavy to see what it does. My skill is that of some mild 3D such as rolls, flips, loops, inverted but really not fast backwards flight and and the heavy 3D. I own a V120D02sV2, Trex 450 Flybarless, Trex 500 and Genius CP. I bought this to see if it would do better 3D than the CP which drives me nuts for its inconsistency and the 120 which is very sensitive.
I used TomZ's info for set-up and took it out.
1st Flights: Super stable, lift offs were the easiest of any heli, slight drift to left but that stops once out of the prop wash and gyros take over. Hovered great and very little adjustments o keep it in one spot. Forward flight, stays on its line with little change in altitude during turns. Backward flight...same, kept its line through out. It seems to be slower than the V120 and handles more like my 450 for docile flight. Toms curves are spot on for easy flight. Landed after 6 minutes of flight time. You can here the motor slow down so you know its time to land. A big plus as opposed to the brushless others, you have power...you have none.
Put in 2nd Battery and flipped it to ST1 and ST2. 3D time.
Loops...oh, boy..get some altitude, it don't care for them, slow and big (done in Normal). In ST1/2 much better, sorta the loop flip combo.
Flips...sorta loopy but good and very little side roll.
Rolls..same, loopy but OK.
Inverted...great but lot of throttle stick movement.
Changed to 100% flat throttle on ST2 and it all changed. Fast flips, rolls loops and great inverted with very little stick movement.
5 Minute flight time and landed it. I'm impressed and it is fun to fly.
Adjusted expo as it seems to me that it is not very responsive right away. I just fly with very little or no expo.
My opinion is it was well worth the 130 bucks & Battery. Easier to see, handles very docile if you want it and will do 3D. But the big test will come when I plant it, like I do with all.
So, 1 week later I messed up while pulling out of inverted on 100% PC, hit the Throttle hold as I knew what was coming and Blam...Explosion of pieces! I have never had a heli come apart like that. I have hit the ground hard with the 450 and 500 and never seem parts fly like that, blade pieces yes, but not like that.
Yes, the throttle hold does not shut down the blades right away, they don't stop spinning on the 450 or 500 either, mass keeps them going. It was a nose in sideways hit on grass.
Damage. Canopy in 15 pieces, frame snapped off at end of RX, tail boom bent, tail rotor stabilizer cracked, main gear toast and jesus pin bent. Surprisingly everything in head is OK and so are main blades and gear
Now my review can be complete. It was a very hard crash and it really suffered minor damage. Helis week spots are
Main Gear...Frame (I never broke a frame before)...Canopy..Tail boom.
Rotor head, blades, and landing gear are super strong. Nothing is out of alignment or bent. Never had that happen either on a hard crash. So on stock up, keep that in mind.
Servos were fine and still are. I must have got a good one as its been handling 3D and the crash with no issues. Then again, when I used to damage servos the damage came when I was still trying to save it till the very end. I have now learned that if you know the crash is coming, hit TH and let go of the sticks. Stops 95% of servo failures.
Overall, I am still very happy with this heli. You can fly it slow with no issues, flys straight and level, hovers great and is not super sensitive. Mild 3D is also good, not near as good as a Trex 450 but also way cheaper.
This would be a good heli to start CP if you don't want a Mini or Genius, but it will not handle the crash like those indestructible little things. I like the size and sound and its 3D. It has my longest inverted hover time yet. For what it is....It will be a keeper for me.
RS
RamboSmurf is offline Find More Posts by RamboSmurf
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:01 AM
Registered User
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboSmurf View Post
Yes, the throttle hold does not shut down the blades right away, they don't stop spinning on the 450 or 500 either, mass keeps them going. It was a nose in sideways hit on grass.
On the master it isnt the mass though, either the rx or ecs waits ~1-2 seconds before slowly powering of the motor on throttle hold. This is whats causing the majority of the damage in crashes. The motor is still running at close to full power on impact .
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:17 AM
Bring back the Huey!
RamboSmurf's Avatar
United States, NY, Kingston
Joined Mar 2007
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
On the master it isnt the mass though, either the rx or ecs waits ~1-2 seconds before slowly powering of the motor on throttle hold. This is whats causing the majority of the damage in crashes. The motor is still running at close to full power on impact .
Well, looking back on it. I would have to agree. I hit TH about 10' up and it kept on going. I assumed it was like my bigger ones, I am going to test this when I get the thing back together. Thanks. That will be a major issue in crash damage.

I also forgot to inform everyone. If you order the Main Gear, good old Walkera does not give you the jesus screw. You have to order the screw kit also.

PS: Working those little tail wire is not "Humanized" its a PITA. Plus the little screw that holds on the tail rotor on had the head stripped from the factory. Thanks guys, that was fun to remove.
RamboSmurf is offline Find More Posts by RamboSmurf
Last edited by RamboSmurf; Dec 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Can't multi-task worth crap
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:28 PM
Bring back the Huey!
RamboSmurf's Avatar
United States, NY, Kingston
Joined Mar 2007
189 Posts
Xermalk is 100% correct. The CP keeps on spinning for 2 seconds after hitting Throttle hold. Not good as I usually wait until the last second before I hit it. So, it pretty much is useless to prevent damage. Now I see why it exploded the way it did.
For what good it does I am going to ask Walkera if there is a way to stop this.
RamboSmurf is offline Find More Posts by RamboSmurf
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:56 PM
Registered User
BenVK's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Enfield
Joined Jan 2012
841 Posts
Do the guys who have gone brushless have the same problem?
BenVK is offline Find More Posts by BenVK
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:46 PM
hoten-x,master-cp,v120d02s,etc
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenVK View Post
Do the guys who have gone brushless have the same problem?
yeah, it's built into the firmware of the rx so it will happen no matter what motor or esc your running. Someone with programming experience could probably modify a stock rx firmware to remove the delayed cutoff but I have yet to see anyone modify the rx firmware on any walkera helis...just the tx firmware.
candy76man is offline Find More Posts by candy76man
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:30 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2010
1,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
yeah, it's built into the firmware of the rx so it will happen no matter what motor or esc your running. Someone with programming experience could probably modify a stock rx firmware to remove the delayed cutoff but I have yet to see anyone modify the rx firmware on any walkera helis...just the tx firmware.
This is totally fixable by Walkera, it's not the first receiver they've had that has had this problem and they ended up releasing fixed receivers. In this case though a simple firmware update could remedy this. Walkera just needs to do accept that there is indeed an issue and address it.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:40 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,150 Posts
My impression is that the delay is not as long as 2 seconds. It is more like 0.5 secs. I don't have a Devo compatible transmitter to check it now. I wonder if anybody could check this out with an unattached motor?

I have had over 20 crashes and the only crash that was a serious as RamboSmurf's was due a straight drop of 20 ft onto concrete ground. That occurred after hitting a tree.

Otherwise, my main problem with the gyro is that the heli pitches forwards badly as I roll it into an inverted position. This is worse with R rolls than L rolls and I have been caught out from time to time.

What I found interesting is that my flying with the V120D02S improved after flying the Master CP. This is despite not being to do anything near as much as I could on the V120D02S. It could be that I am less intimated now after flying 3D with a larger heli.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:04 PM
hoten-x,master-cp,v120d02s,etc
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
This is totally fixable by Walkera, it's not the first receiver they've had that has had this problem and they ended up releasing fixed receivers. In this case though a simple firmware update could remedy this. Walkera just needs to do accept that there is indeed an issue and address it.
I don't know, I think they consider it a beginner feature...I went through all this a while back with a little walkera coax heli I had, the throttle would stay on for 2 seconds after the throttle stick was all the way at 0. Someone from Ehirobo informed me (after I complained) that Walkera programs it that way so that beginners don't just drop to the ground when flying. They didn't address the fact that the "beginner feature" was doing much more damage to my coax than any 5 foot drop could ever do to it. Here's the post I made about it, first couple of posts in the thread are a different subject.
candy76man is offline Find More Posts by candy76man
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:31 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2010
1,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
My impression is that the delay is not as long as 2 seconds. It is more like 0.5 secs. I don't have a Devo compatible transmitter to check it now. I wonder if anybody could check this out with an unattached motor?

I have had over 20 crashes and the only crash that was a serious as RamboSmurf's was due a straight drop of 20 ft onto concrete ground. That occurred after hitting a tree.

Otherwise, my main problem with the gyro is that the heli pitches forwards badly as I roll it into an inverted position. This is worse with R rolls than L rolls and I have been caught out from time to time.

What I found interesting is that my flying with the V120D02S improved after flying the Master CP. This is despite not being to do anything near as much as I could on the V120D02S. It could be that I am less intimated now after flying 3D with a larger heli.
I had three crashes in a row one day and the bird still flew, i have to admit though that i'm getting better at crashing too. I usually manage to, at least, get it in a less damaging position before going into the dirt.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:55 PM
Bring back the Huey!
RamboSmurf's Avatar
United States, NY, Kingston
Joined Mar 2007
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
My impression is that the delay is not as long as 2 seconds. It is more like 0.5 secs. I don't have a Devo compatible transmitter to check it now. I wonder if anybody could check this out with an unattached motor?

I have had over 20 crashes and the only crash that was a serious as RamboSmurf's was due a straight drop of 20 ft onto concrete ground. That occurred after hitting a tree.

Otherwise, my main problem with the gyro is that the heli pitches forwards badly as I roll it into an inverted position. This is worse with R rolls than L rolls and I have been caught out from time to time.

What I found interesting is that my flying with the V120D02S improved after flying the Master CP. This is despite not being to do anything near as much as I could on the V120D02S. It could be that I am less intimated now after flying 3D with a larger heli.
I ran tests today with it on the floor and in ST1 at 50% Throttle and 0 pitch. I would hit the throttle hold and it would go from 1-2 seconds before actual shut down. I Emailed Walkera today but nothing back yet.
I agree with the rolls. Right side is a sideways loop roll thingy, left better. I usually back flip to go inverted. That's what actually caused my crash, it rolled and nosed. I got it 3/4 around but couldn't get out of the dive as I wasn't inverted or upright, so at the last second I hit TH. Well now I know it has to be earlier than that.
My V120 is down due to one of the Lighted Christmas Reindeer jumping in front of it and it stripped a servo. Bad Deer. I'm taking the rest of the week off.
RamboSmurf is offline Find More Posts by RamboSmurf
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Blade Mcpx v1 v2 vs Walkera Mini Cp vs Genius Cp vs solo pro 100 3d f.a.r.m.e.r Micro Helis 108 Jul 16, 2014 05:51 PM
Sold Walkera Genius CP with Devo 6 King.7200 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 2 Feb 02, 2012 10:52 AM
Sold Walkera Genius CP Brushless version 3D with 6-axis gyro Devo stretch1100 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Jan 25, 2012 08:37 AM
For Sale Walkera Genius CP with DEVO 6 bymannan Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Nov 07, 2011 07:57 AM
New Product Walkera 6-Axis gyro UFO5# (new version with Camera~) DLY Micro Helis 6 Oct 29, 2011 01:48 PM