HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:48 PM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
644 Posts
First take off !

This evening I did a first flying test (in my living room) with my new Master CP.
Prior to that I programmed my Devo 7 Tx, knowing my goal at least for the moment is not 3D flying, so I input tame values :

Pitch curve (these are the values given in the manual, knowing that my goal is to have a pitch cuve going from about -2° to +9°) :

Normal flight :
0 % : -25
50 % : +15
100 % : +55

Stunt 1 :
0 % : -25
50 % : +15
100 % : +55

Stunt 2 :
Same as stunt 1 in the case of hiting the flight mode switch by mistake.

Throttle hold :
0 % : 0
50 % : 0
100 % : 0

Throttle curve :

Normal flight :
0 % : 0
17 % : 35
33 % : 70
50 % : 80
67 % : 80
83 % : 80
100 % : 80

Stunt 1 :
17 % : 80
33 % : 80
50 % : 80
67 % : 80
83 % : 80
100 % : 80

Stunt 2 :
Same as stunt 1 in the case of hiting the flight mode switch by mistake.

Throttle hold is set at - 5%

Gyro setting :
Mix switch Pos 0 : 70%
Mix switch Pos 1 : 70%
Mix switch Pos 2 : 40%
(Remember what the user manual says at page 9, chapter 6.4 "Testing mode setting" : to ajust the swashplate the gyro setting has to be < to 50%, this desactivates the corrections the Rx board does when the heli moves)
So mix switch Pos 2 is just for adjusting the heli's mechanics.

First I did control is that at throttle hold (pitch programmed at 0°) it is really 0%.
It was not, I had to shorten the 2 links between the swashplate and the blade holders by 2 turns.

So OK, after that I bound the Tx with the helicopter, and did a first test holding the heli in my hand.
I noticed that when I went to full throttle, the heli began to vibrate and do a nasty noise, wich the motor RPM going down, and sparks appearing at the motor brushes, what means the current draw increases.
First I tought was : a-ha this looks as if the blades are stalling.

So I took my pitch gauge, and looked at the pitch values.
The -25 at 0% gave a pitch of about -5°
The 55 at 100% gave a pitch surrely over 15° () I can't say it exactly because my gauge stops at 12° !!
So there is no doubt the blades were stalling !
After playing a little with the transmitter settings, I finaly input -13 to have about -2° pitch and +25 to have about 9° pitch, and had no more nasty noises an much decreasing in motor RPM at full throttle.

After that I tested the blade tracking, it was OK.

So, it's time to try to take off, I put the heli on the floor of the living room and activated the throttle.
And it was just fine , the Master CP seems very stable (a lot more than a 3 axis V200D03 for example) and I had no problem to hover in a 1 meter circle.

Now I wanted to try the same with the mix switch in position 2 (40% gyro) what means without corrections of the FBL system (remember page 9 of the user manual)
Each time I wanted to take of, the heli wanted to tip to the right side.
So I extended the link on the pitch servo by 1 turn and voilą the heli takes of correctly.
But it is almost impossible to maintain in one place without the corrections of the FBL system.

I read on this tread that the motor doesn't stop immediatly when going in throttle hold, and yes, while the pitch goes to 0 instantly, the motors still remains powered for about half a second.

Enough for today, next weekend if the weather is OK I will try to fly my baby outdoors, a living room is not the best place !

Roland
Rollmops67 is offline Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Last edited by Rollmops67; Dec 12, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:01 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmops67 View Post
Hello Dankar.

I bought mine here :
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9284

And the battery I use is this one :
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11901
You just have to change the connector with the above one.

The battery fits nicely in the helicopter tray.
I can say nothing about flight time, because I just hovered a little with the heli in my living room.

Roland
Thank you for info,Dan
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:43 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmops67 View Post

Now I wanted to try the same with the mix switch in position 2 (40% gyro) what means without corrections of the FBL system (remember page 9 of the user manual)
Each time I wanted to take of, the heli wanted to tip to the right side.
So I extended the link on the pitch servo by 1 turn and voilą the heli takes of correctly.
But it is almost impossible to maintain in one place without the corrections of the FBL system.

I read on this tread that the motor doesn't stop immediatly when going in throttle hold, and yes, while the pitch goes to 0 instantly, the motors still remains powered for about half a second.

Enough for today, next weekend if the weather is OK I will try to fly my baby outdoors, a living room is not the best place !

Roland
Read page 9 again. Setting at less than 50% is used to bench setup the swash plate. It is never designed to fly in this position and any results will be meaningless.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Last edited by BThirsk; Dec 12, 2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:57 PM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,890 Posts
Several hours of work, a soldering iron, some turnigy led strip, and a 2l cola and this is the result. Leds are powered through the balancing plug.

I still have to do the tail boom, landing skids, resistor for the white leds (their stupidly bright), and a pot so i can control brightness for dusk/dawn/pitch black.

But all in all it turned out great .

At 3s/12.6v i can use my heli as a flashlight.
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:07 PM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Thank you for reply. Who sells bana plugs and what is size ?? Also just want to give it a try. I have a V400D02 that comes with 1200ma battery and plug I am pretty sure fits. I plan on binding it under cage with velco or ties. I don't think extra ma from this battery will hurt do you ?? Just to hover it and run in motor a little. What say yee?? Thanks for hrlp. No 3d stuff just shake down run in.

Dan,

The capacity of the battery will have nothing to do with being able to hurt anything. If it's too low the voltage will sag, but if it's high given the size of the battery) it's a good thing.

For example, if you were to use a 3S 1000mah battery with the Master it may fly for 5 minues, if the battery were 5000 mah it would fly that much longer4, the extra weight reducing the added fly time provided by the battery. The simplest analogy I can come up with is the battery size (in mah) is equivalent to a gas tank size in the car.

HTH,

-bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:52 AM
Eternal beginner
Joined Jun 2012
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
Read page 9 again. Setting at less than 50% is used to bench setup the swash plate. It is never designed to fly in this position and any results will be meaningless.
Thank you Brent, I had understood that.
But I just wanted to try it to see the difference.
And the difference is HUGE !
It's also a good way to verify if the swashplate is level : when the heli is about to take off, you can observe if it is tiping to one side or another (as it was the case for me) and correct this, as in normal fly it is the heli's gyros wich does the corrections)

Have nice flights and smooth landings !

Roland
Last edited by Rollmops67; Dec 16, 2012 at 03:50 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:31 AM
Madison WI
Joined Jan 2009
599 Posts
Fixed ID still broken?

Just received my MCP. I played around with the fixed ID but couldn't get it working. I have 5 other Devo helis each with a problem-free fixed ID set up on my Devo 6.

The receiver F/W seems to be the early version since I can't see any telemetry data on the transmitter.

Reading through the threads it seems that FID works for some but not always. Has anyone gotten to the bottom of this?
jazzjohn is offline Find More Posts by jazzjohn
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:45 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzjohn View Post
Just received my MCP. I played around with the fixed ID but couldn't get it working. I have 5 other Devo helis each with a problem-free fixed ID set up on my Devo 6.

The receiver F/W seems to be the early version since I can't see any telemetry data on the transmitter.

Reading through the threads it seems that FID works for some but not always. Has anyone gotten to the bottom of this?
I don't know about fixed ID but the receiver comes in a telemetry disabled state. You have to upgrade the firware in order to get telemetry and you will need to buy an adapter for that. Walkera's explanation was that they did not have license for telemetry in many countries.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:46 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,767 Posts
Quote:

I think it has been pretty much determined that there is a design flaw in the RX.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Some report reduced flight times with the telemetric firmware
addifromgermany is offline Find More Posts by addifromgermany
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:14 PM
Madison WI
Joined Jan 2009
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
You have to upgrade the firmware in order to get telemetry and you will need to buy an adapter for that.
Yep... not concerned with telemetry yet. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
I think it has been pretty much determined that there is a design flaw in the RX.
Well, my hope then is that firmware will fix that eventually. It's an inconvenience, but not a deal breaker.
jazzjohn is offline Find More Posts by jazzjohn
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:47 PM
Joined Mar 2011
415 Posts
Report:
flew 3 packs of the Zippy 1000mah through it over the weekend, and WOw, this is the largest CP heli I have flown, and i am impressed with stability, control, handling... pretty good bird. Feels like driving a pick-up truck vs. a car tho. I can def tell there's some weight to this heli, but power is there like an old muscle car too.
So far so goood.
pretty nice and good price heli.
Those Zippy 1000mah batteries are about 7$ shipped and fit like a glove. those XT60 or whatever connectors they come with are pretty good too and easy to solder.
-bee's knees-
PonyBoy1973 is offline Find More Posts by PonyBoy1973
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:50 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,767 Posts
Quote:
Yep... not concerned with telemetry yet. Thanks.

Well, my hope then is that firmware will fix that eventually. It's an inconvenience, but not a deal breaker.
It only means binding is more of pain and otherwise could only be a problem if you are flying with other people who had Devo TXs.

On telemetry, I don't know how it affects the master CP, but on small units like the mini it has no value in my opinion. I have been fighting an issue with my mini where after about 2 to 3 minutes, it seems to not have enough power to hardly keep in the air. I tried many things to correct this, but nothing worked. I installed a brushless conversion, which had startup problems, but when manually starting with a pen, it would maintain full power for over 5 minutes.
I just re-installed the brushed motors, only with no telemetry and now I have in excess of 5 minutes with no power loss. I don't think telemetry has any use unless you have sufficient power to run it. On my 600 , I have a separate power supply for the RX and servos, 2200mah 4s, so I don't think it would ever be an issue. On these smaller units with limited power, it may just cause more problems than its worth.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:27 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,752 Posts
I tried this heli and like the way it handles. Just a run up and brief flight but was quite happy with it. Smooth and appears to not be unstable. When I get proper battery for it give it some more airtime. Cost is about same as a mico 100 size and much bigger makes it a big plus. When Bang good gets metal servos in I'll get a bunch as I also have V400D01. I may convert that to brushless later. I neither seek hard core 3D and birds like this fill my ticket just fine. Telemetry I have no use for at this time, but if bigger helis/ quads it would be important.
Happy flying/ landings all.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:46 AM
Eternal beginner
Joined Jun 2012
644 Posts
First flights !

Today I took the Master CP in the air outside for the first time and emptied 2 batteries.
It was quite windy with some gusts, and I was first hesitant, but nevertheless I HAD to try it, so I went out.

Wow, all I can say is this bird is very very stable !
I first flew it nose in the wind, and the gusts didn't seem to have a big effect.
Then I tried to fly it with the wind coming from the side, with no problem too.
The gyros do a very good job.
For a first flight, and because of the wind I didn't try to fly to far or do much turns.
I was also surprised from the noise of the heli, it is very quiet.

I ajusted a little my pitch curve, from -13 at 0% to +35 at 100% (instead of +30 wich was a little too tame, at one moment I had a hard landing when a gust pushed the heli to the ground because I had not enough thrust to conteract it). This gives a pitch from -2° to + 10°.
Throttle curve is 0-35-70-85-85-85-85 in NORM mode and 85-INH-INH-INH-INH-INH-85 in ST1 mode.
These settings are of course not for 3D, but just for normal flying with smooth reactions.

One downside of the master CP is indeed the throttle wich don't cut immediatly when you push throttle hold, and even when I take the throttle stick back quickly in NORM mode, the motor doesn't stop immediatly.
This results in some chicken dance tendancy when landing in tall grass

But all in one I am very pleased by this heli and I think it will be a good step on my learning curve.

Have nice flights and smooth landings.

Roland
Last edited by Rollmops67; Dec 16, 2012 at 03:52 AM.