HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:05 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mono View Post
so far i have seen a couple of members talking about needing to use a brushed to brushless signal converter .... Why?
For going brushless on main motor (or both), i can not see where it is required for this setup.
All that i visualise as needed is a suitable brushless motor, around 4000kv, and a matching brushless esc.
Brief explanation...
The motor outputs of the receiver are are 3-pin signal/pos/neg feeds for the dual brushed esc, not 2-wire brushed motor power feeds (no signal). .
+1.
I will be using a 3800KV, 25A ESC
I will also replace the main (dual ) ESC for the the tail, since I have a small brushed ESC sitting around.
In short:
1. 3800KV BL motor + 25A ESC
2. Stock tail motor with small 12A brush motor ESC.
3. (then disregard the stock dual brush ESC)
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Sep 10, 2012 at 11:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:24 AM
Joined Jun 2008
470 Posts
Arrgh! I might have to get one now.....

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wa...f-p-50510.html
fishfiend is offline Find More Posts by fishfiend
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:45 AM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,165 Posts
Spyro37

sounds like a good plan ,,,
the only thing you need to watch is connector 7 on the Rx, the Power Check from the brushed esc, which you are removing completely.
If you use an esc that does not have that (only seen it on some Walkera esc's) then you will need to do the 1k resistor in the 3 pin connector trick to get around it. Details of that in the v400d02 thread in electric heli talk forum.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:26 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
+1.
I will be using a 3800KV, 25A ESC
I will also replace the main (dual ) ESC for the the tail, since I have a small brushed ESC sitting around.
In short:
1. 3800KV BL motor + 25A ESC
2. Stock tail motor with small 12A brush motor ESC.
3. (then disregard the stock dual brush ESC)
i'm pretty sure it's because there is a difference in how the pulses are modulated on the throttle signal FROM the stock brushed esc. The converter is plugged into the brushless esc and the other end of it goes into the throttle port on the rcvr. But let me know how it goes.....it would be nice to get rid of the stock esc.....i was just going by the route the v400guys took.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:06 AM
United Kingdom, England, Enfield
Joined Jan 2012
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
Hrm, anyone know if it would be possible to fit the 3 blade 4f200 rotor head/swash on a master cp?
Or the servos are placed differently so it wouldn't work?
It's possible but you'd have to use the 4f200 pinion as well. Be warned, the 3 blade headspeed is scary with a 3S battery (designed to work with 2S) and the tail will probably blow out constantly.
BenVK is offline Find More Posts by BenVK
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:41 AM
Joined Jun 2009
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
i'm pretty sure it's because there is a difference in how the pulses are modulated on the throttle signal FROM the stock brushed esc. The converter is plugged into the brushless esc and the other end of it goes into the throttle port on the rcvr. But let me know how it goes.....it would be nice to get rid of the stock esc.....i was just going by the route the v400guys took.
- I did convert my mCPX to brushless. I had to use the same idea (using a signal converter with built-in ESC). But I had no choice because the mCPX's ESC was built in with the Rx module (3-in-1 board).
- I converted my HoneyBeeKing V2 from brush to brushless, and all I had to do is use my own BL motor & BL ESC. No converter needed. Just plug the ESC to the receiver (throttle terminal).
- Since the Master CP has a separate receiver with throttle terminal, you could plug either brush ESC or BL ESC. Receivers does not care whether you use a brush or BL ESC.

I have not received my Master CP yet, & it takes a while from HK to USA. I have not seen the actual electronics of it yet. I'm just going by the pictures of it on the web.
- Spyro
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Sep 11, 2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:18 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,165 Posts
Quote:
The converter is plugged into the brushless esc and the other end of it goes into the throttle port on the rcvr.
If you connect a converter in that way (if I'm understanding you correctly), the brushless main motor won't function at all. The converter only has red/black on its input which would connect to the output side of the brushed esc (the motor connector) and then to the signal input of the brushless esc.
If you connect a converter straight to the rx throttle port then you are missing the signal output of the rx (white wire for main) which is the throttle signal that you actually need, whether it's running brushed or brushless esc.
Here's a simple analogy on my view about the converter....
You have a glass of nice clean water for drinking, a handful of dirt is thrown into it so it's not usable. To fix that, it is then put through a filter so it can be used again. Hope that makes sense.
I only brought this subject up so that parts are not bought when they are not actually needed and the conversion is straight forward for those that want to go brushless.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:38 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
- I did convert my mCPX to brushless. I had to use the same idea (using a signal converter with built-in ESC). But I had no choice because the mCPX's ESC was built in with the Rx module (3-in-1 board).
- I converted my HoneyBeeKing V2 from brush to brushless, and all I had to do is use my own BL motor & BL ESC. No converter needed. Just plug the ESC to the receiver (throttle terminal).
- Since the Master CP has a separate receiver with throttle terminal, you could plug either brush ESC or BL ESC. Receivers does not care whether you use a brush or BL ESC.

I have not received my Master CP yet, & it takes a while from HK to USA. I have not seen the actual electronics of it yet. I'm just going by the pictures of it on the web.
- Spyro
I have done the conversion using a TA4200kv B/L motor and a Gaui 18A ESC plugged directly to the Rx port and the issue I had was spooling up. I had to go above 50% throttle to get the blades to start spinning and then switch to St1 (set to 100% throttle) to get it to work. Let me know if you have the same issue if you plug the ESC into the Rx. I also could not get the ESC into programming mode either to set throttle endpoints so it would recognize the throttle range properly. I think the only way it will work right is if you chop off the main motor plug on the brushed ESC and install a B/L signal converter there. Since I had a test heli, I didn't want to do anything to her that I could not reverse back to stock and return to the vendor after testing. Now that I have bought a couple of them, I can give it a go.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:56 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,165 Posts
If you use a Walkera esc like the one from the v200d03, there should not be any of those funny issues methinks.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,233 Posts
That's exactly why i purchased this converter, i figured much of what walkera is using is the same old stuff they always have been using. The MasterCP is like a blend of MiniCP and the V400D02. Servos, motor, and even though it's rebadged I bet the esc is exactly the same. Therefore i purchased this, and it should fix the throttle issue.

Signal Converter
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:58 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,165 Posts
ok, that one is different to the ususl converters, it has the signal connection.
have not seen it before, but the rchobbygear name I have seen mentioned in the v400 thread.
In that case it will certainly do the job.
I still think a walkera esc from a similar model like the v200d03 will work without the conversion in the middle. Perhaps I will get the parts for a bench test experiment. I tend to get more from that aspect of the hobby than flying them.
Am also interested in what mods dkfuji does with his.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,169 Posts
Quote:
That's exactly why i purchased this converter, i figured much of what walkera is using is the same old stuff they always have been using. The MasterCP is like a blend of MiniCP and the V400D02. Servos, motor, and even though it's rebadged I bet the esc is exactly the same. Therefore i purchased this, and it should fix the throttle issue.

Signal Converter
Guys, thanks for all the posts regarding the BL conversion options and issues.

Hopefully, Walkera did not design the Master CP's Rx unique that a "direct" conversion is not possible.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:42 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,810 Posts
This thread needs more vids and flight reviews
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:03 PM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
I'm watching you guys. If the reviews are good, I might pull the plug. A green canopy would help too (to whoever it might concern, like a lurking walkera employee reading these pages... hint hint)... or i would be forced to design my own
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:40 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Okay, so I did the conversion again and this time I decided to drop the little Devo 7E Tx and use my Devo 10 and it works much better with this combination. The throttle still doesn't start to kick in until about 35%. But, that's acceptable since I do all of my flying in stunt mode anyway. However, it will fly just fine in Nor mode using a linear throttle curve. I think with a little more adjusting of the curve, I can get it to perform pretty much like it was brushed. All I can say is this heli is a rocket with a B/L motor in it and the tail still holds solid. IMO, if you are thinking of using a motor with less than 4200kv, you will have to locate a bigger pinion gear to get the headspeed needed for some 3D. I am using a 4200kv motor with the stock pinion. At 90% throttle performance was a little better than stock while at 100% the heli really wakes up.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji