Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:46 AM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,086 Posts
Guys....

It's appreciated that suggestions are given regarding servo replacements, but so far a few of them are completely different sizing to the original 7.6.6
It may cause confusion, especially for the inexperienced, so if you would like to suggest something, please ensure it is 100% suitable.
That way we all have a better idea and nobody spends money needlesssly.
As zadaw mentioned, hobbyone have replacement gears available for the original 7.6.6 servos for anyone who wants to go that way, but be aware that their shipping charges are way over the top compared to what it should be.
A couple of vendors around do that (9imod also) and it's not acceptable to me so I will only shop where it's all as it should be, even if nobody else has some particular part in stock. I will find another solution as I'm sure others do also.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:56 AM
United Kingdom, England, Enfield
Joined Jan 2012
833 Posts
Forget the stock servos, they're junk.

I bought these MG digital servos and tried them on my V200 and 4F200, they work great and are very cheap. HK should have more in stock soon.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23485
BenVK is offline Find More Posts by BenVK
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:15 AM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenVK View Post
Forget the stock servos, they're junk.

I bought these MG digital servos and tried them on my V200 and 4F200, they work great and are very cheap. HK should have more in stock soon.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23485
Mono, good to know that replacement gears are available, & yes, good to see some
other "possibilities". Do you know (or anyone) could post the exact servo size.

Ben, thanks to your suggestion as well.
& +1, I'd rather not replace junk with another junk.
I don't have any of those helis that you mentioned, neither the Master CP yet (still waiting.
Do you think those HK MG's you mentioned are the same size? Seems like that weight is twice as much as the stock, but I'd rather spend money on it than keep on replacing gears or servos.
I might be placing some HK order soon, that's why I'm interested of trying it.
If they work great, If not, then it will be used for something else...
- Spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Sep 08, 2012 at 03:24 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:44 AM
Joined Jan 2012
833 Posts
The HK MG's are 3.5mm taller than the stock 7.6.6 servos, same width and length though. The mounting tabs need to be trimmed to fit the V200 and 4F200 which is easy to do.
Not sure if you'd need to do the same for the Master CP, if someone can take a photo of how the servos are mounted, that would help.
The extra weight of the MGs makes no difference as far as I can tell. They are however, quicker than the 7.6.6 servos which is another benefit.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:45 AM
Heliyork
Joined Nov 2009
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
Do you happen to know the thickness of the blade root? Or can you try test fitting the Master CP blades to your V200 head?
Ok just fitted the blades in V200 grips without any issues. They fit perfectly.
Firewolf is offline Find More Posts by Firewolf
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:51 AM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,141 Posts
Quote:
The HK MG's are 3.5mm taller than the stock 7.6.6 servos, same width and length though. The mounting tabs need to be trimmed to fit the V200 and 4F200 which is easy to do.
Not sure if you'd need to do the same for the Master CP, if someone can take a photo of how the servos are mounted, that would help.
The extra weight of the MGs makes no difference as far as I can tell. They are however, quicker than the 7.6.6 servos which is another benefit.
Hope they come back in stock before soon or before I strip any of my servos (when I get my heli). I'll order them regardless.

Good find, $4 MG.
Thanks again for the info.

- Spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:17 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,139 Posts
I flew another 4 packs today using a V200D01 rudder servo as the elevator servo. I know you are not supposed to mix different servos for the cyclic but it worked well and I could not tell any difference. I was much gentler with the heli today given what happened yesterday. What I am really concerned about is how the servos could have stripped on their own without apparent damage to the rest of the heli.

My vendor is not going to stock replacement servo gears so I may get a few from HobbyOne. I have a few stripped servos around and I am not sure whether I want to spend much money on this heli. I think you really need to use high torque metal geared servos in order to eradicate the problem completely.

@mono – I don’t think anybody can be 100% sure until the servos are installed. However, looking at the construction of the Master CP, I would think it will be easier to install third party servos than the 4F200 and V200D03. The easiest way would be the file the lips of the servos.

@V999D02 - I have posted some pictures of the servo mounts.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Sep 08, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:02 PM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,703 Posts
Wonder if Walkera will ever release a model with propper metal servos, but guessing not as they seem to love selling spare servos/parts that break from a failed servo.
Xermalk is offline Find More Posts by Xermalk
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined Jan 2012
833 Posts
Looks like this part on the heli will have to be modified or got rid of to fit any servo that is taller than the stock ones.

Here's another option but it's also out of stock right now and there are no reviews of it either. Size wise, it might slot right in if you cut a bit off the ends of the tabs/wings/lips or whatever they're called!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...g_0_17sec.html

Bare in mind though that not every servo will work with Walkera RX's. I've tried a few. Some work in the opposite direction and just reversing all the servo switches in the TX will not work because it mucks up the gyro and you have to mount the RX back to front. All the Hitecs Ive tried so far are no good in that respect. Also, some servos start twitching when plugged into a Walkera. It's just trial and error really so better not to buy an expensive set of MG servos even if the size looks identical. They might fit but might not work properly.
Last edited by BenVK; Sep 08, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined Jan 2012
833 Posts
Another option when using the stock servos.

Do the servo saver mod that a lot of us use on the D02S. It does work in a crash but will not stop a dodgy Walkera servo from meltdown which is quite common. You only have to open one up to realise why, the soldering is very hit or miss and sometimes the circuit board is touching the metal case of the motor which you can cure by adding little bits of cardboard or plastic as spacers.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:52 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Bare in mind though that not every servo will work with Walkera RX's.
This was one of the aspects I was concerned about, apart from the obvious physical constraints of sizing. Their Rx/Mixer units are generally custom built/programmed for the particular application and with absolutely zero detailed info on what can be done, e.g. can it handle either digital or analog servos correctly and without frying anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
Do you know (or anyone) could post the exact servo size.
Here is all the info I could find on the 7.6-6 standard servos....
7.6-6 Specification
Working voltage: 4.8V ~ 6V
Transit speed : 0.12sec/60°
Torque : 1.4kgf.cm
Weight: 8.4g
Dimension: 22.5 X11.5 X24mm
Last edited by mono; Sep 08, 2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I flew another 4 packs today using a V200D01 rudder servo as the elevator servo. I know you are not supposed to mix different servos for the cyclic but it worked well and I could not tell any difference. I was much gentler with the heli today given what happened yesterday. What I am really concerned about is how the servos could have stripped on their own without apparent damage to the rest of the heli.

My vendor is not going to stock replacement servo gears so I may get a few from HobbyOne. I have a few stripped servos around and I am not sure whether I want to spend much money on this heli. I think you really need to use high torque metal geared servos in order to eradicate the problem completely.

@mono – I don’t think anybody can be 100% sure until the servos are installed. However, looking at the construction of the Master CP, I would think it will be easier to install third party servos than the 4F200 and V200D03. The easiest way would be the file the lips of the servos.

@V999D02 - I have posted some pictures of the servo mounts.
hey Zadaw,

i am going to sell mine (never ever been flown) for 5.00 ea plus shipping. I have no idea how much it would cost to ship to you. But it's probably still cheaper than anywhere else. My HS5055's are already ordered. My MasterCP is going to be modded before it ever gets maidened (shaking my own head) I just know me
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:58 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,203 Posts
Just so everyone knows, I am going to be using the hobbymate HB2622 that many people used successfully with the Uflys. You CAN use a motor that's for a 400 sized heli but i'm pretty sure it would be overkill the v400 guys say they use only 70-80 percent throttle and that it's PLENTY strong using the turnigy3800. But with this 200 sized model spinning much smaller blades and plastic head........This motor is small, weighs little, and gives a decent amount of room for the surrounding wires. The stock pinion fits it and the mounting holes and even the stock screws from the motor fit. I can't wait to get everything going. Still waiting on the batteries to come in!!!! I'll be certain to make a video when I get it all working just don't be surprised to see me babying it early on....hehe. Don't want to break it on my first few outings ya know

note: my screws on my main motor were NOT threadlocked. I don't think you would want to leave it this way since they could back out on you and then your heli would literally drop out of the sky.
Last edited by pmerritt; Sep 08, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:37 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,086 Posts
@pmerritt
are you planning to retain the brushed tail motor, if so, may I ask what you have in mind wirh the esc arrangement?
This is just technical curiosity as I am sticking with a brushed setup.
I guess you read what BenVK said in post #264 about his experience with Hitec servos, so please let us all know how you go with them, good or bust.

Delivery on my MasterCP is held up because I ordered the new Magic Cube Devo converter with it (which was in the vendor's price list and could be added to the shopping cart, no mention of that part not actually being in stock) so now have to wait another 2 weeks before the order is shipped.
The vendor in question has a history of listing things they don't have in stock, but as the Magic Cube was already on ebay I thought they might have had it also, just my luck.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,203 Posts
yep, i'm going to retain the brushed motor. as far as setup, it's going to be basically the same setup as this http://rtf-heli.com/WALKERA_V400D02_M_BRUSHLESS.html except i will still have to use both esc's because of the brushed tail.