I hope mine arrives soon.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:03 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
You guys are good salesmen. I just ordered one as well.
Well for the prize, not too bad.

Do you plan to try the Master CP FBL Rx on your 250?
I was thinking to try it, but use a separate tail gyro, since the receiver does not support tail servo.

- Spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:05 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Nieuw-Vennep
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Why would you go that road. The 250 could very well fly FBL with this ZYX unit. Not expensive and it seems to do quite well. I'm considering the ZYX for my 450..
Chow is offline Find More Posts by Chow
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:47 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,278 Posts
Agree. But I have no experience with the ZYX and don't know anyone that would be able to set it up if I run into programming/tunning trouble. The Walkera is an ALL-in-ONE Rx-FBL gyro. The ZYX will cost me Rx + gyro. The 250 clone is tight. There is not much really room to make it a clean set-up. My beast-X Rx/gyro is $200. I can't afford buying those nice All-in-one. The Walkera is afforable.
I think that is one selling point of Walkera helis. Their heli price is not bad at all, considering it has RX/gyro combo.
If I find someone using the ZYX at the field I might consider it, but again, I would need to run a separate Rx.
- Spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
There is an extensive setup guide for the ZYX on youtube. Including the hardware setup.

Tarot ZYX 3-Axis Gyro Setup & Programming (40 min 1 sec)

Check it out. It seems pretty straightforward
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:05 PM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
3,213 Posts
Using a walkera all in one rx/tx to control the heli would mean you would not have to go thorugh everything to learn to setup the ZYX. Just reading the ZYX thread would scare the masses away. Also, you could easily use a devo tx if you have one lying around, without having to to use modified firmware.

Anything that reduces the number of tx'es in the shelf automatically gets my approval.

Also "Check it out. It seems pretty straightforward" its 40 minutes long. Thats a helluva lot more to do compared to if we could get a servo working of the tail motor port. A ZYX would likley fly better once setup propperly, but for a beginner a all in one would be better. And you could always swap over to a zyx + rx if you wanted more.
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
Last edited by Xermalk; Sep 06, 2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Are you guys heli flyers or RTF consumers... It's 40 minutes. I agree. But the guy explains even how to setup the links on the rotorhead. If spending time to aquire knowledge is a problem than you should stick with RTF. But checking out and setting up the ZYX is prolly faster than experimenting with a Walkera unit on a 250 clone.. Just my 2 cents
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:04 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,333 Posts
Zadaw

What spares would you recommend?
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:50 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,323 Posts
The biggest problem with putting an independent FBL unit in a 250 is the lack of space. A combined receiver/FBL unit will be much easier to install. Here is a of ej1889 flying a Gaui 200 with the Walkera rx2702. It looks more than acceptable to me. However, the 2702 unit needs more expensive digital servos. The rx2618 will be a cheaper alternative.

GAUI EP200 Resetting (4 min 36 sec)
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Ok, that makes sense but I did manage to put an rx and seperate gyro on my 250. I agree it's a bit being creative but it's possible.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:56 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Zadaw

What spares would you recommend?
Based on my experience with a Trex 250 and similar Walkera models, I think the following could be affected in a major crash

Main blades
Main shaft
Feathering Shaft
Blade Grips
Head
Linkages
Servos
Main gear
Canopy
Skids
Tail boom
Horizontal fin
Vertical fin
Tail Struts
Tail rotor

I am talking about very nasty crashes over a hard surface. If you fly over long grasses, the chances are that little or no damage will occur. If you are worried about not finding it in tall grass, you could install a lost model detector. I have had 4 crashes with no damage so far. I have had the same servos failed in flight with other Walkera models. Also, the motor is known to burn out in the V400D02. The dark main blades are very difficult to see, I plan to replace them with white or orange 250 blades as soon as I have to replace mine.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Nov 2011
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow View Post
Ok, that makes sense but I did manage to put an rx and seperate gyro on my 250. I agree it's a bit being creative but it's possible.
I'm running both an RX802 and a 3GX unit on my T-rex 250. It's not too terribly cramped, it just took some creative wiring to get it done right. I'm not entirely sure that anything walkera makes short of the 2702 is really programmable enough to make it any more worthwhile than just going to a higher quality FBL unit.
TucsonFlyer is online now Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:34 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,333 Posts
Thanks Zadaw
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,403 Posts
The Robird G31 seems much easier to set up than the ZYX and is basically plug and fly. But the software is a public release beta at this point. It flies really well but I've had a problem with a slight bounce/wag on hard CCW piro stops that will not go away completely until I lower the gain to the point that the CW piros develop a soft bounce. Most people have not had this problem though. I'm thinking maybe it has to do with a small 450 helicopter with a 4S power system and a large heavy battery. (this thing weights a lot for a 450 thanks to the 2200mah 4S battery, heavy motor and oversized cyclics crammed into a 450 frame)
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull