SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:45 AM
New Zealand, Wellington, Wellington City
Joined Jan 2012
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
The acceleration you described is quite well known. I find it quite difficult to stabilize the heli after a half flip or roll. The weight of the heli may also be a contributing factor.

What I found is that it has a tendency to pitch backwards rather than forwards during a turn. This could be that the accelerometers are compensating. I think this is what Xermalk found as well.
I don't believe it to be the weight - but I say that only on the basis that my Gaui X2 is almost the same and flies *nothing* like the Master. Of course it has longer blades, but that can't be the whole story at all. Surely

I *think* it's due to the (probably very rubbish) gyro. It'd be fantastic if we could come up with a Tarot-ZXY based tail solution. I'd be very willing to buy the thing and try to install it, if there was a way to get the tail motor hooked to it. If we could resolve the gyro problems, it'd be something that flys good yet when crashed costs all of $25 to fix.

Any idea what might be required to get a motored tail controlled by a reaonably-up-to-date gyro?
scornflake is offline Find More Posts by scornflake
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:18 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,890 Posts
I asked in the zyx thread a while ago and this was the only response i got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
I don't see why not, provided you're controlling the tail motor with an ESC. Set the tail servo type to 1520 analog. You'll probably have to drop the tail gain way low for it to work properly.
If you do end up testing notify us of the results, i wouldnt mind getting a zyx if it works.
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:57 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3 Posts
Hi All,
I'm new here but been crashing Helis for a while. Just thought I'd let you know my recent experience with the Master CP (had it only a few weeks).
Generally I found it crashes great (I'm a beginner for a year or so now) but like everyone else mine stripped the servo gears when I looked at it the wrong way (wk 7.6.6) - made of soft cheese I think.
So after the last crash I swapped out the stock servos for Walkeras metal gear version (7.6.9) and can report a great improvement.
I promptly tested them, once fitted, by immediately crashing the MCP into some hard gravel (usually I like to crash into soft stuff like grass or people). When I looked I thought 'ooooo, that looks bad!'.
But guess what, so hard was the impact on the servos is completely smashed one servo arm and threw it with the ball link rod elsewhere. The blades were well battered and reshaped but all the servos completely unharmed!
So, fitted a new servo arm, filed the lumps and chips off the blades, and back to some more crashing in no time!
Dr Phibes is offline Find More Posts by Dr Phibes
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:26 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,259 Posts
Regarding put the master CP RX on my V400D02, I did open up the V400D02 "ESC" late last night. It is just dumb MOFETs with a pair of junction transistor drivers in front. Hence it should not be cycle time sensitive.

The issue turns out to be what I hate to see. The master CP RX really scales down the throttle such that it would not drive the motor 100% when the throttle from the TX is 100%. I can see there is always a low signal portion (around 10%?) on the throttle output of the master CP RX even when the TX throttle is 100%. While the original V400D02 RX outputs a flat high signal when the TX throttle is 100%.

Getting a master CP ESC probably won't help unless it has a brain inside to stretch the pulse. That is bad.

The master CP uses the same motor (and pinion?) I suppose its main gear is smaller than that of the V400D02. Hence the master CP can reach the head speed it needs without using the 3S in full.

Basically it means the motor's KV together with 3S is too high for the master CP. Walkera comes up with a RX to fix that in FW by NOT outputting full motor drive! So if you want full use of 3S on your master CP, you may do the reverse by using the V400D02 RX (2614V). LOL.

What's left for me now?

I would try playing with the throttle curve to see if I can still make my V400D02 flyable with X% throttle reduction. Since the stock V400D02 is well known for lag of power, it may be hard with further reduction.

I could try 4S if the ESC can handle 4S voltage, (I have to check the datasheets first). However I don't have any 4S batteries nor charger. I probably won't do that.

The other solution is program a converter and put it between the RX and ESC to get the throttle back to 100%. My plan was to use up the brushed motors before going brushless on the V400D02. Perhaps I should retire the brushed motors, and simply program a converter to go brushless. Or should I also get a master CP to make use of the brushed motors?

Anyway it is still -22C with windchill outside. I still have lots of time to think about it.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:44 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
Regarding put the master CP RX on my V400D02, I did open up the V400D02 "ESC" late last night. It is just dumb MOFETs with a pair of junction transistor drivers in front. Hence it should not be cycle time sensitive.

The issue turns out to be what I hate to see. The master CP RX really scales down the throttle such that it would not drive the motor 100% when the throttle from the TX is 100%. I can see there is always a low signal portion (around 10%?) on the throttle output of the master CP RX even when the TX throttle is 100%. While the original V400D02 RX outputs a flat high signal when the TX throttle is 100%.

Getting a master CP ESC probably won't help unless it has a brain inside to stretch the pulse. That is bad.

The master CP uses the same motor (and pinion?) I suppose its main gear is smaller than that of the V400D02. Hence the master CP can reach the head speed it needs without using the 3S in full.

Basically it means the motor's KV together with 3S is too high for the master CP. Walkera comes up with a RX to fix that in FW by NOT outputting full motor drive! So if you want full use of 3S on your master CP, you may do the reverse by using the V400D02 RX (2614V). LOL.

What's left for me now?

I would try playing with the throttle curve to see if I can still make my V400D02 flyable with X% throttle reduction. Since the stock V400D02 is well known for lag of power, it may be hard with further reduction.

I could try 4S if the ESC can handle 4S voltage, (I have to check the datasheets first). However I don't have any 4S batteries nor charger. I probably won't do that.

The other solution is program a converter and put it between the RX and ESC to get the throttle back to 100%. My plan was to use up the brushed motors before going brushless on the V400D02. Perhaps I should retire the brushed motors, and simply program a converter to go brushless. Or should I also get a master CP to make use of the brushed motors?

Anyway it is still -22C with windchill outside. I still have lots of time to think about it.
It depends, if you are already into acrobatics or you hardly ever crash then the MasterCP would probably be a waste of money. But, if you are still learning then the MasterCP is TOTALLY worth it.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:24 AM
Australia, QLD, Clontarf
Joined Feb 2012
43 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I've had my master CP for a couple of weeks now and I've been pretty careful with it so far, no crashes yet so its all 100% factory condition.

This weekend just gone was the first time I got a chance to take it to a park to really give it a proper fly and I noticed occasionally it would behave erratically, for example randomly spin 180 degrees really quickly, I've managed to save it all the times its done weird things so far (mainly because I had it a good height up) but I'd much prefer my flying time without these hickups, as its a bit stressful being that I'm still learning lol..

Is this the same sort of thing other people experiencing and thinking that it might be the gyro?

ATM I'm just using the Walkera mini CP settings and I haven't touched any of the pots on the RX, they are as they came from the factory.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks!
brad1601 is offline Find More Posts by brad1601
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:41 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1601 View Post
Hey Everyone,

I've had my master CP for a couple of weeks now and I've been pretty careful with it so far, no crashes yet so its all 100% factory condition.

This weekend just gone was the first time I got a chance to take it to a park to really give it a proper fly and I noticed occasionally it would behave erratically, for example randomly spin 180 degrees really quickly, I've managed to save it all the times its done weird things so far (mainly because I had it a good height up) but I'd much prefer my flying time without these hickups, as its a bit stressful being that I'm still learning lol..

Is this the same sort of thing other people experiencing and thinking that it might be the gyro?

ATM I'm just using the Walkera mini CP settings and I haven't touched any of the pots on the RX, they are as they came from the factory.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks!
If your flying with the devo 7e your most likly flying out of range. If not it could be a bad tail motor maybe?
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:59 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,983 Posts
Especially if it turns the same direction each time, look to a failing motor, but if it's more widespread weirdness and flying with a 7e then look at your range. 50m plus and you might be getting to the limits...
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:58 PM
Australia, QLD, Clontarf
Joined Feb 2012
43 Posts
Thanks for the replies fellas.

The tail motor being faulty did cross my mind, but I didn't know if they could go intermittently like that or not. I'll order a replacement and hopefully that sorts it out.

Oh and I'm using a devo 8s with the power turned to full so I don't think it's a range thing, especially since I had it probably 3 times further out and it was still working fine.
brad1601 is offline Find More Posts by brad1601
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:05 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
It depends....
I think I would add a converter to stretch the pulse back, hold off buying more for now. I had the converter written up yesterday but I have to find my ATtiny to flash and test.

I received my Skyartec Nano CP for indoors last night. I would come back to work on this It is still winter here.

Regards.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:44 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
417 Posts
I think I have a failed Rutter motor on my Master CP with only 5 minutes flying time on it.
Now the bird only wants to do circles on the ground before lift off. I dare not throttle up any more.

How can I test the motor. I tried disconnecting the wires to the main motor and throttling up and moving the Rutter stick but got no spin on the motor.

Thanks
gapi is offline Find More Posts by gapi
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:46 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapi View Post
Curious, I have heard the Master CP RX on the V400 is a drop in without the head speed issue. And the added Gyro Axis's makes it more stable.

I'll check my source and have them confirm and get back.

Did you try the swap in fresh models in your TX?
I checked with my source and he is brush-less so........ no head speed worries there eh?
gapi is offline Find More Posts by gapi
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:50 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,259 Posts
Quote:
I checked with my source and he is brush-less so........ no head speed worries there eh?
The Master CP RX is for brushed motors. You have to add quite a bit to use brushless. After taking care of the brushless conversion and non full throttle output, the servos directions are still wrong for a V400D02. Hence it is definitely not a drop in.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:16 AM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
I think I have a failed Rutter motor on my Master CP with only 5 minutes flying time on it.
Now the bird only wants to do circles on the ground before lift off. I dare not throttle up any more.

How can I test the motor. I tried disconnecting the wires to the main motor and throttling up and moving the Rutter stick but got no spin on the motor.

Thanks
Disasamble the tail and remove the motor. After that connetc the tail motor directly to a power source and see if it spins. Donts try this till the motor is mounted, you could be hurt by the tail-blades.
You could also use a battery as a power source
addifromgermany is offline Find More Posts by addifromgermany
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:01 AM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts
If a BNF version without servo's was available or with the WK metal gear servo's this model would be worth buying. When that happens I might buy, but not before.
Laidback_racer is offline Find More Posts by Laidback_racer