SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:41 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Discussion
So, I'm Thinkin' About a Quad Copter...

... and do some searching for and about them.

But I just can't seem to escape my rock 'n roll past.

http://www.angelo.com/html/the_quad_guitar.html
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:51 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
I've actually handled one of those. Dean is based in Tampa. I can't play one very well, forget about 4.

My GF's neighbor uses multi rotors for agriculture R&D, taking video of crops to spot problems. We also have a few guys that fly them near our local mountain bike park. I get to see them fly almost everyday. Other than being cool, I don't care for the fact that they are pretty much non directional. I mean half the challenge of flying a regular heli is keeping it flying in the right direction. I just see no need to build a my own multirotor
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:51 AM
Joined Aug 2011
738 Posts
LOL silly gimmick.
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:59 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorModem View Post
LOL silly gimmick.
HF ,ignore these heathens...I'd recommend you go out and get you a Blade MQX by Horizon Hobbies to get your feet wet. Its appx $160 at your LHS....Yes its toyish but check out the forums on here relating to it as well as the videos ...its a blast to fly and practically indestructable.If you decide you dont like Quads(trust me ,that wont happen) then you wont be out a whole lot.I'd also recommend you p/u at least one spare battery($10) ...the hour or so it takes to charge seems much longer
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Last edited by daddiozz; Jun 03, 2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:01 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
... and do some searching for and about them.

But I just can't seem to escape my rock 'n roll past.

http://www.angelo.com/html/the_quad_guitar.html
See, if you'd used a decent search engine................
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:04 AM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
423 Posts
Just what are we talking about here?
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:05 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
Just what are we talking about here?
A flying guitar ?
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:17 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiozz View Post
HF ,ignore these heathens...I'd recommend you go out and get you a Blade MQX by Horizon Hobbies to get your feet wet. Its appx $160 at your LHS....Yes its toyish but check out the forums on here relating to it as well as the videos ...its a blast to fly and practically indestructable.If you decide you dont like Quads(trust me ,that wont happen) then you wont be out a whole lot.I'd also recommend you p/u at least one spare battery($10) ...the hour or so it takes to charge seems much longer
That IS toyish as hell, but I might just pick one up just to start the learning curve.

I've got some ideas about FPV which is the direction I'm headed, and a non-directional, hovering capable quad is where I want to end up.

I guess I need to spend some time on the Multirotor and FPV forums, but man, some of those guys are opinionated jerks, unlike here in our safe-haven LTUP forum.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:22 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,399 Posts
Well, I've built 2 Quads!

They are still unidirectional, Knifemaker, in fact you have to choose the directional layout ('+' or 'X'). Basically they fly the same as a heli (but I think a little easier).

One interesting thing I've found is that when your battery gets a little low, one of the motors will start to slow - and the quad starts to tip.

(Good to install a loud battery monitor. )
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:46 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
Well, I've built 2 Quads!

They are still unidirectional, Knifemaker, in fact you have to choose the directional layout ('+' or 'X'). Basically they fly the same as a heli (but I think a little easier).

One interesting thing I've found is that when your battery gets a little low, one of the motors will start to slow - and the quad starts to tip.

(Good to install a loud battery monitor. )
or just keep track of your flight-time and set her down before it expires...I use a kitchen timer set to 10 mins (easier than fiddlin with the built in timer on the rx)
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:55 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
That IS toyish as hell, but I might just pick one up just to start the learning curve.

I've got some ideas about FPV which is the direction I'm headed, and a non-directional, hovering capable quad is where I want to end up.

I guess I need to spend some time on the Multirotor and FPV forums, but man, some of those guys are opinionated jerks, unlike here in our safe-haven LTUP forum.
HF ,I bought a Draganflyer (high end multi) at a police auction some time back and quickly found out it would be very expensive to repair while I self taught myself to fly it .It sat on a shelf for more than a year til the MQX came along.After many many flights with the MQX my confidence grew enough to try the draganflyer again and can now fly it with confidence .Still ...I find I prefer the MQX for day to day "fun" flying and go thru 2-4 packs daily ...the dragan mostly sits on the shelf again...
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,773 Posts
Quote:

Man, I could say something about that, but I know I'd get dinged for it being a religious/racist stereotype remark.
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:05 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
Man, I could say something about that, but I know I'd get dinged for it being a religious/racist stereotype remark.
Huh?

Whatever reference that was to, Usta, it just 'whoosed' past me...

(Musta been 'one of those Usta things'! )
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:13 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Huh?

Whatever reference that was to, Usta, it just 'whoosed' past me...

(Musta been 'one of those Usta things'! )
He's usually pretty clear as to his intent ,but like you it "whooshed "past me as well...
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:04 AM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon View Post
A flying guitar ?

wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme