HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2012, 05:44 AM
Joined May 2012
585 Posts
Build Log
X525 First Quadcopter Build

Hey guys I'm new to this site and to Quad building I've been reading a lot on here with in the last month ordered my quad on eBay.

After I received it I put it together it had no instructions what so ever lol But with the help from the forum I was able to put it together the frame was self explanatory but the set up and so on was a different story I'm not new to RC but this is the first Quad I have ever built...

So I got it all put together and it fly's pretty well except for one thing its very slow to respond to Yaw inputs and I have no idea why

EDIT Yaw Fixed with a New Dx6i radio and receiver.

It's using the KK Quadcopter board v5.5 With v4.3 x config software

The Spectrum DX6i radio and receiver

GWS 3 blade 9x4.5 Props

Turnegy (I think that's how it is spelled) 1000kv motors The stickers where ugly so i peeled them off

Hobbywing 20A ecs's

The frame is an x525 v3 frame from eBay In fact all but the radio and some screws & spacers and the wheels came from ebay.

Some things you need to know about the frame : It's light and tough and very well built but It does not have spacers included for the feet and I also had to buy some extra screws and nuts for completion of the build. I also bout some extra wire so that I could run them through the arms for a lot cleaner look. (Thank you for the advice) I also bought some wheels from a local hobby shop because I did not like how the hook ends of the feet kind of snag on things when landing and taking off.

Let me know what you guys think I'm looking for a dome or cover on top let me know if you have any ideas of a good one i could use.
gitit20 is offline Find More Posts by gitit20
Last edited by gitit20; Jun 24, 2012 at 04:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:45 AM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,175 Posts
That radio is a Heli Radio. You need to fly in Acro mode/ airplane mode. that radio was made for the Blade SR, and works best for that Heli. I was going to sugest to add some expo to speed up your Yaw but I don't know if you can on it. I would recomend either a DX6, Or DX7. or my favorite a Futaba 6 or 7 ch.
tc3wins is online now Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Mar 2012
35 Posts
That's correct about the radio. I was looking for a HP6DSM to have more control
over my MQX. Found out there are 2 versions of the radio, the one for the Blade SR
to be avoided being pre-programed only for the SR.
artlouis1943 is offline Find More Posts by artlouis1943
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined May 2012
585 Posts
OH boo that kinda stinks I was wondering about that I was able to get it to work with my MQX ok though and its placed in airplane mode but ya i will try a new radio i guess and see what that does. Thanks for your input guys what do you think about my Quad looks ok for a first time?
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:22 PM
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,175 Posts
It looks good other then I would cleaan up the wires a bit. it is a good first frame. keep em flying.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 02:23 AM
Joined May 2012
585 Posts
Thanks how would you clean them up? I've thought about running the motor wires through the booms and mounting the ecs's where you cant see them but i was told by some one if the wires are too long it would increase battery draw you think this would be a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3wins View Post
It looks good other then I would cleaan up the wires a bit. it is a good first frame. keep em flying.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 02:36 AM
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,175 Posts
I have run longer wires in several of my builds. Just use high strand wire and you will not notice a difference.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 02:47 AM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
990 Posts
I'm using a dx6i with x400 frame and kk board, also I find yaw quite slow, I did post a few questions a while ago and the general comments seemed to be thats the way it is and its down to weight/size of blades as the flight control slows down 2 motors and causing the yaw, see what others say but I'm not sure u will get a faster yaw response with a different transmitter, did'nt want u to spend out and find its no better!
ripmax is online now Find More Posts by ripmax
Old Jun 04, 2012, 02:58 AM
Joined May 2012
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripmax View Post
I'm using a dx6i with x400 frame and kk board, also I find yaw quite slow, I did post a few questions a while ago and the general comments seemed to be thats the way it is and its down to weight/size of blades as the flight control slows down 2 motors and causing the yaw, see what others say but I'm not sure u will get a faster yaw response with a different transmitter, did'nt want u to spend out and find its no better!
thanks for this info its taking me almost 25 sec for a complete spin around that's way to slow lol i ordered some 2 blade carbon fiber 10in props going to see how that works i guess... I hope its not that slow i see people with the same exact set up as me on youtube just a diff radio and seems to be ok so not sure
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:02 AM
Joined May 2012
585 Posts
Thanks I think i will do that going to rain next few days perfect chance to do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripmax View Post
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:52 AM
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,175 Posts
If you adjust the expo on the yaw it will move faster. Or slower depending how you adjust it .
Old Jun 04, 2012, 06:28 AM
Joined May 2012
585 Posts
Thanks but I don't think I can on this radio I have now

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3wins View Post
If you adjust the expo on the yaw it will move faster. Or slower depending how you adjust it .
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:10 AM
Joined May 2012
585 Posts
Well i bit the bullet and bought a DX6I but i cant test it because i now have a broken motor mount (not a crash) but dropped the poor thing off the table UGH...
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:32 AM
Joined May 2012
585 Posts
Thank you guys for all you input...
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:20 PM
Joined May 2012
585 Posts
Well had my first bad crash broke 4 props and bent one motor shaft took about 2 hours to get here up and going again... This X525 Frame is pretty darn tough....