HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:06 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
used some 1/8 x 1/8 balsa to build up both the side, and top/bottom keels to bring them out level with the stringers, glued in some scrap 1/16 balsa to fill out the side keels around the cockpit, and tail end, any other minor gaps in the sheeting were filled with some light weight spackle. then it was time to start on the front end which is so distinctive on the 51. the nose was sanded to alow for the thrust angle, and the 2 ply pieces were glued in just behind the spinner backplate. then it was time to start planing and sanding. the battery cover was next, tape was used as usual to protect the surrounding balsa. the gun troughs were carved out using an appropriatesized piece of brass tube, and then sanded using the same with some emery tape around it. the air inlets, were dremelled out, and then cleaned up using one of the wifes disposable nail files. the covers over the gun barrels will be made out of a bit of styrene unless i see something else suitable.

Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:02 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Cheers Simon, she is getting there for sure
while i was on a roll and filling the yard full of sawdust i figured i would make the fin fillets. the plan says to block these out in balsa so i just cut the blocks a bit bigger and shaped the fillets into them, the weight gain from adding these will be minimal as they are so thin and it will look much more flowing with them, hope thats cool Peter.

Craig
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:35 PM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,038 Posts
Exquisite - it's obvious to see you are really fired up over this build.
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:15 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,781 Posts
Lovely woodwork Craig

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:05 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Cheers Simon, and Pat. Yeah, pretty keen on this one
After looking at the front of the fuse i think i will angle it back a bit more, didn't want to go too hard at it straight up as i didn't want it to look over done when combined with the down thrust and spinner angle. the fin fillets need a bit more work and will be attached to the fin after it is covered. the forward fuse will be an interesting covering project, lots of compound and convex curves. re watched Franks video on applying polyspan last night as a bit of a refresher, looking forward to it!

Cheers
Craig
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:22 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Back up to work tomorrow, but got a few little bits done today. started with sheeting the top wing CS and shaping it. then decided to join it to the outer sections. i know that this will make it more awkward to cover and feed the aileron wiring through, but where there is a will there is a way as they say.
also finished shaping the roughed out fin fillets, figured that if it was good enough for Hammerd, and Maltone then it was good enough for me so i made a bit of a jig of sorts so that the tailplane wasn't in the waywhile sanding. the fillets were tacked to it with CA, and double sided tape was used to tack the lot to the tailplane seat. once all was sanded to my liking it was stripped down but the fillets will be pinned to the jig again to protect them and while covering as they are very thin and fragile in places.

Cheers
Craig
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:55 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,137 Posts
Just chiming in to say this thing is looking great! I'm definitely adding it to my list. Would also love to see a P6-E, Cr.32, Gladiator, ... any between-the-wars biplane. They have the perfect mix of aerobatics and power. And although I'm partial to radial-engined biplanes, the large V-engines typically have longer noses that make balancing and battery access much easier.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:53 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,660 Posts
Have you considered covering the fuse with the vert fin in place? Would protect that fragile fillet and frequently gives better results on "blended" fins like that one.

Charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:17 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,660 Posts
Craig,
That fin fairing looks great. Although it isn't essential to the model, it certainly adds that little extra touch.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:05 PM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,402 Posts
Very nice (great) work there Craig, I didn't know you were such an artist , I am enjoying reading and looking at your progress

Shaun.
Banjofrog is offline Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:09 PM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Cheers all, Charlie with the fin being keyed into the horizontal stab it would mean that the whole tailplane would need to be mounted before covering, and with my limited covering skills it would just be asking for trouble. i will cover the bare fuse, then the fin will be covered after which the fillets will be glued to it and then covered. looking forward to next break, where the plan will be to build the wheel pants, assemble all the big bits, take some good happy snaps for Pete, then into the covering.

Cheers
Craig
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:14 PM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjofrog View Post
Very nice (great) work there Craig, I didn't know you were such an artist , I am enjoying reading and looking at your progress

Shaun.
LOL hardly an artist mate, the technical term i like to use is fiddlef@#ker,I just keep fiddling with things until i am reasonable happy with them

Cheers
Craig
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:16 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Heya Pete, quick question. Is the rigging on this one supposed to be functional at all? Just up at work thinking through my plan for the week ahead, and if there is anything I need to do structure wise before I start covering

Cheers
Craig
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:46 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,660 Posts
Craig,
Not particularly mate, unless you want to make it so. The screws/bolts in the lower wing roots prevent them sliding out on the dowels and the screwed in place i/p struts brace the lower panels to the one piece upper wing.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:50 AM
CA...gimme the CA...
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
Craig, I am *so* loving this thread. I've been following along, and she's looking absolutely beautiful.

I'm still trying to decide which one of these Rake planes to buy....but I'm gonna get one ASAP, so help me!
whowhatwhere is offline Find More Posts by whowhatwhere