Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 07, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joined Jul 2006
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumps View Post
Not much done today, weather was perfect so went flying. did get the undercarrage bent up and soldered this arvo though. i have some 3''
Dubro wheels that i will probably use unless i find some rubber tyred
ones that are lighter. if i use these i will just have to bush them down a
bit to suit the LG wire diameter. might be time to start on the wings this
evening.

Craig
Where can I get the plans to build this Plane???? My Dad built a 90" HE-51 Many years ago and I want a smaller electric version. Thanks!!!!
Birdog is offline Find More Posts by Birdog
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 03:51 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdog View Post
Where can I get the plans to build this Plane???? My Dad built a 90" HE-51 Many years ago and I want a smaller electric version. Thanks!!!!
once the prototypes have been built and successfully flown you will be able to buy the kit and plan from Manzanolazer. it is a really good build so far!
http://www.manzanolaser.com/index.html

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:28 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Straying from the plan

Got the top wing center section framed up today, started off laminating the 2 diheadral braces to the center section section spars. then with these pinned down it was just a matter of framing the rest around them, and adding the ply cabaine strut mounting plates being double sure to get the orientation correct. same goes with the ribs for the rest of the top wing, as there are pretty much no 2 ribs the same on either side.
After realising that i had forgotten to pick up some 1/8 x 3/16 bass for the wing trailing edges at the aileron bays i decided to take to the bottom wings. Peter agreed to let me include the lower flaps in the build, on the condition that the maiden and flight testing be done without their use, fair enough. the addition of flaps ment that i would have to put some holes in some of the ribs to accomodate the servo leads, and i also replace 2 of the R5B 1/16 ribs with some 1/8 jobbies for either side of the servo bay. a 9gm servo fits neatly in the rib bay, and will be mounted on a 1/16 ply plate which screws into the underside of the wing as per many of Peter's other models aileron sevos.
the wing was framed up pretty much as normal apart from being careful not to glue anywhere that i would soon be cutting away. after all was dry i cut away the flap section, trimmed away what wouldn't be required and replaced it with a piece of 1/4 x 3/8 balsa. still need to make up the hardwood blocks, sort out hinging, ect but it should work out fine and then do the other side.
well thats it for a few days, back up to work tomorrow.
Last edited by trumps; Jul 08, 2012 at 06:44 AM. Reason: DERSLEXIA ;)
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:32 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,689 Posts
a 900gm servo fits neatly in the rib bay

Wow - I knew Peter was designing a few heavier models these days......

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:40 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
LOL, my bad

Cheers
Craig
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:43 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,611 Posts
Need to watch those photos mate (as well as the weight of the servos), they're getting fuzzy again.
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:47 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
ok Pete, sorry bout that.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:28 AM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,500 Posts
Are both of these prototypes being built downunder? Now I can tell the difference between the two because one will have flaps and the other won't. Will there be any formation flying when they are finished?

Trumps, you are doing a great job. This airplane just looks like it would make a very fun and aerobatic RC airplane. Keep up the good work.

Jim
JIMA is online now Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:38 AM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,500 Posts
Just did a Mapquest check on Ellenbrook and Ballarat. Looks like quite a distance between the two. Formation flying may not be an option or would it?

Between the three of you, Trumps, Maltone, and Glong-flyer, you guys have Southern Australia covered. Charlie will need to open a Southern distribution warehouse to keep up with demand down there.

Jim
JIMA is online now Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:39 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Cheers mate, yes they are both being built in OZ, but there is about 2500km distance between Pete (Glongflyer) an myself. I agree, she should make a nice aerobat once done, they have a sporty look about them i think, definately not the floaty more fragile look of a WWI type.

Cheers Craig
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:42 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
she's a big country, with a lot of empty space in the middle, even more so over here in the west!

Craig
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:24 PM
Ballarat, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
347 Posts
Jim would I love to get them together but 1964 miles between us will put a spanner in the works. And there is nothing between us as far as a place to meet and fly.
I know what you mean with getting too hot my brother lives in Texas.

Pete
Glong-flyer is offline Find More Posts by Glong-flyer
Last edited by Glong-flyer; Jul 08, 2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:20 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
framed up the other lower wing today, including joiner tubes, and root sheeting, still need to grab some hardwood for the lower strut sockets. the flaps have been hinged, and the lower LE's chamfered. made up the servo mount trays out of some 1/32 ply sheeting, and some rails to mount them in the wing, all very standard Peter Rake. cut up some flap control horns, and mounts for them. hopefully will get to the hobby shop tomorrow to pick up the bits still needed for the top wings.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:40 PM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,357 Posts
Mate I am looking forward to see this one in the air, maybe we can get the HS-123 in the air at the same time (yes I got another one)

Shaun.
Banjofrog is online now Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:55 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Been a bit of a busy break so far with picking up a new car for the wife and the associated running around, some jobs to do for the parents, and a work function. managed to sort out the hardwood blocks for the lower wing strut mounts, these were made out of some hard pine, drilled, cut and sanded to shape then epoxied to the ply R6B rib and X, Y ply supports. since the pics were taken the remaining outer ribs were made up and fitted, these will be shaped with the wing tips. have also started framing up the upper wing outer sections. hopefully will get them finished at least before the end of break.

Peter, i would like to make the balsa servo exit covers for the aileron servos removable so as to be able to access the servo mounting screws incase one ever fails, it will just mean putting a couple of ply rails along the spars as per you servo access covers on your other designs, hope this will be ok? just saves having to open the covering if this ever happens. Cheers!

Craig
Last edited by trumps; Jul 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM.