darook is offline Find More Posts by darook
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:57 PM
United States, NM, Espanola
Joined Nov 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
Love it! I'll want this and a CR.32 and a P6-E and a HS123 and a Gladiator!
I'll second the P6E ! And count me in
poziovahim is offline Find More Posts by poziovahim
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:25 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,318 Posts
Arived home from site on thursday night to find a rather crumpled box waiting for me, luckily being as it was well packed and sealed by Manzano's it didn't matter that the freight company don't understand the meaning of the word fragile. spent the evening sorting through the sheets and labeling parts.
the job proper started Saturday with the test fitting and assembly of the upper and lower forward fuse sections over the plan. these are all self jigging and aligned perfectly and were glued. the plan is to use titebond where ever possible unless some instant action is needed where CA will be called upon.
After sitting one of the WS sections in it's position i marked out the slot that needed to be created for the F4B former to be cleared, and also cut a small notch for the forward undercarrage wire and tube to pass through. all six of the 1/4 WS pieces were slotted the same and glued into 2 sets of 3 and then glued to the lower fuse sides.
all the formers that required joining or laminating were done next, followed by positioning and glueing K5B and K6B to the forward section. the appropriate formers were glued in position and squared up with K4 after trimming it where the tab was too long to slot into the K6B side pieces at the rear of the fuselage.
the lower brass wing joiner tubes were fitted with their ply reinforcement rings,
and at this stage i have not mounted the undercarrage mounting tubes, they will need trimming before binding and gluing in position.

Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:07 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,318 Posts
The upper fuselage was assembled in the same manner as the lower, the only thing i noticed was that the laminated former F9T/F9TA need to be fitted the other way around to what is shown in the top down view so as to provide a home for the stringers at the rear of the fuselage.
TS tailplane seat, and TP could not be fitted until TP had been trimmed to slot into both the slot at the rear of TS, and the slot provided by the K6T fuselage side pieces. once all was trimmed the lot was glued and squared up.
after all was dry the top and bottom fuse sections were sat on top of each other to check that all was square and aligned, all good sofar!

Craig
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:51 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,318 Posts
Time for stringers... silly me thought that i had picked up a bundle of 1/16 x 3/16 bass in the ship building section of the hobby shop, unfortunately the wrapped bundle of stringer material turned out to be far too thin. after a dash back to the hobby shop produced nothing appropriate i stripped down some 1/16 ply sheet to suit.
the lower half was set back over the plan and stringers cut and fitted. the ends were secured using medium CA, starting at the top working around the sides, alternating between left and right sides of the fuse. once they were all in position they were secured to the center formers using titebond.
the upper half was done in the same manner as the lower fuselage half, only problem was that i ended up 1 slot short at the rear of the fuse. in the end i put an extra notch in the sides of rear former F9TA and made it fit it was a silly mistake, and i should have counted the stringer slots either end before i started glueing, but whats done is done, and hopefully shouldnt be an issue. Sorry Pete!

Craig
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:02 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,948 Posts
Don't you just love how fast those half shell fuselages go together?

I love them even more now that I just framed up the replacement fuse for mu Dumas Bird Dog. Fuse is all a bunch of sticks! I really dislike stick fuselages

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:00 PM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,318 Posts
I agree Charlie, they may be a PITA for Peter to draw, but they are an absolute joy to build, i love they way you can be building both halves at the same time.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Oct 2010
55 Posts
I would love to get a short kit of this plane will there be any for sale thanks j
zzcutter is offline Find More Posts by zzcutter
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:18 PM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,318 Posts
Heya J,
although it is not my place to say, i would as Peter Rake has mentioned previously think Charlie will offer a kit for this upon successful completion, as a lot of time and effort has gone into the design and cutting of the kit, and there does seem to be a fair amount of interest in this rarely modelled type. but it all comes down to the prototypes being a success, and Charlie deciding on if it will be a viable option i guess.

Cheers
Craig
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:27 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,318 Posts
Got a little bit more done, I secured the brass tubes for the cabaine strutt mounts, wired, and epoxied them in place, did the same with the undercarrage mounts, only i used 30lb braide fishing line for these.
got started on the sheeting, covered the top section at the rear of the fuselage, and the infill for the rudder cable exits, did not sheet the rear of the fuse below the tailplane seat yet because i want to leave myself plenty of room for messing about with the elevator linkage. speaking of which, i was thinking of running some Sullivan gold'nrod for the elevator control, will just have to place a couple of pieces of balsa across a few formers so as to anchor the sleeve. also sheeted the forward sides, and section behind the battery bay, plus the forward underside of the fuse. all the sheeting is 1/16 balsa which was thoroughly wet down with water towelled dry and secured with medium CA after about 5 minutes. still need to get around to sheeting the cockpit area and cutting the opening (i hate this bit, trying to get the right shape and size). once the rest of the sheeting is done i will be able to attack the stringers with the sanding bar to get them all down to level, as some of them are a bit high at the moment.

Craig
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:43 AM
Ballarat, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
347 Posts
Very nice work Craig.
Craig are you making up the elevators linkage or are you going to make one up your self. I just dont like soldering.

Pete
Glong-flyer is offline Find More Posts by Glong-flyer
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:54 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,318 Posts
figured i would get the forward cowl roughed out, started by cutting and glueing a balsa block together and cutting to the correct length. once this was done i laminated the 4 CT nose sections together, and attached to the upper fuse, did the same for the CB lower fuselage nose pieces.
i sat my block of wood in position and marked out a rough profile including air intake, gun troughs, and humps over the gun barrels. i recently bought a 1/72 ICM plastic kit of the He 51 so as to aide me with this part of the build. i stuck the required plastic parts together and am using them as a reference. once i had a rough idea of the shape it was out with the razor saw, and my favourite tool, my Davis razor plane (love this thing) after some hacking and slashing i had the blank roughed out, and using some 7/16 brass tube with some emery tape stuck too it had a start on the gun troughs. the blank will be left at this stage until the motor is mounted, and a spinner can be fitted. the nose section and blank can not be shaped any further at this stage until the thrust angle and spinner position has been determined.

Craig
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:06 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,318 Posts
Hiya Pete, i will make up the elevator linkage as per the plan, music wire and solder the horn, should work out just fine but i wanted to leave plenty of room so as to check its function hense not sheeting the rear section yet.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:15 AM
Ballarat, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
347 Posts
The engine cowl is fantastic it really makes it look good. I will make the elevator link up and see how I go with the solder. Keep the pictures coming
Glong-flyer is offline Find More Posts by Glong-flyer
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:33 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,796 Posts
Phew, it's starting to look like it was supposed to. Never a sure thing until it gets together. That nose area is coming along nicely, but I'm still curious about the stringer issue at the back.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE